A tangled tale

lw308

I'm sure there are many stories about deer getting caught in things but here is something that happened to me a couple of years ago:
I was shooting squirrels with two colleagues on the estate where we worked. As we walked through one wood I noticed a large fallow buck about 80yds away and assumed our shooting had disturbed it. However upon returning that way a while later the buck was in the same place and appeared to be quite agitated, tossing his head and prancing on the spot. We approached the buck and realised that he was tethered to a large branch of an oak tree by a makeshift rope swing. The rope was attached about 20 ft high with a thick stick tied to the bottom as a seat, the buck had obviously been giving this a good old thrashing and knotted the rope firmly around his antler, he was in good condition, uninjured and probably hadn't been trapped for long.
I decided that we would free the buck and quickly explained my plan. I would catch hold of the antlers then my colleagues would cover his head with a coat and we would pin him down and cut him free.
This agreed I cautiously approached the buck, he eyed me warily but didn't move away. I siezed my chance, leapt forward and grabbed both antlers... At this point I realised I had seriously underestimated both the strength of a full grown fallow and my colleagues understanding of the plan! The buck and I wrestled furiously as my mates observed wide eyed from a safe distance, only my 10 month old lakeland showed any willingness to help, baying wildly at the bucks legs. Eventually after quite a struggle I managed to topple him and pin him down, my colleagues finally came to my aid, and we cut the buck free and released him. Upon his release he bolted about 50yds then turned and stood watching us indignantly, seemingly unconcerned about his ordeal!
Sadly A couple of weeks later whilst working in another part of the estate we found another rope swing, this one with a skull and antler attached and scattered bones beneath it.

Does anyone have any other stories of deer getting themselves into trouble like this?

We have a local "ANTI" who owns some woodland next to one of my shooting areas, he has done nothing with the wood since he has had it. Naturally the fallow think it is a splendid place to lie up in. Unfortunately the said "ANTI" has also done no maintenance on the internal fences on his woodland, although his boundary fences look like stalag luft 42, at least where the public footpaths are!

There are, to my certain knowledge, two fallow with wire through their legs that are based in his woodland. He has been approached twice and asked if they can be shot (not by me, as he hates me because he knows I shoot the deer next door, and I know he has sabotaged my high seat twice) and he has refused! My friend Dave has also asked if he could have access to go in and tidy up the old rotting wire fences, again permission refused.

All we can do is make sure we shoot the wire carrying fallow if we get chance, rather than take out a healthy beast, so we do. Bit of a bugger really!

ft

Does this not leave said "anti" chap open to prosecution?, he is knowingly allowing suffering, technically his land is enclosed?..........

Finn, according to a solicitor friend of the "ANTI", his land is not fully enclosed, the fallow are not park deer as their is no deer fence round the woodland, just fencing to keep out trespassers. He is prepared to argue this in court.

As a wealthy, and generous, member of most well meaning animal protection organisations it is difficult to imagine anyone prosecuting him and winning. Unfortunately!

ft

Maybe a letter to the local paper phrased in general terms about this happening to deer would be worthwhile.If this guy is sabotaging your kit he's never likely to be a friend and his wildlife philosophy may benefit from an airing. It may raise the eyebrows of said animal protection organisations. Can be name and address withheld,papers are always on the lookout for a good story,they may even get it right.

fraser

Last edited:
Politics, personal grudges, power-games and nature make strange bedfellows. We see it emerge in all sorts of scenarios, but it's horrible when animals are the ones to get in the middle and suffer. Any real man would be glad to see the suffering problem sorted out - even if he had to call in a third party to undertake the task.
Hmmmm. Maybe he enjoys the fact that he can score a point over you in that way. Humans are strange.

In the course and years of my job, I've been in the shooting of stags with tangles of abandoned wire on their antlers, and because we are by the sea on three sides - stags trailing - festooned with bridal veils of fish netting. I shot one crippling stag with a half of his hoof stuck in a thrown-away oil filter bowl, and another with a jagged piece of deer leg bone jammed in his mouth.

MY favourite stag 'head' is from one I found dead with no tongue. His mouth was locked shut so it was not pecked or eaten out and his carcass was reasonably fresh and wholly intact.
So what caused the loss of tongue which was a stump at the back of his throat ? I believe that he starved to death. No bullet hole in his jaw. Did he receive an adder bite ? (Merely speculation, but at one time the area I found him in was well known for adders.)

Back