Warning to those with leases and a possessive attitude

Paul at Fechan

Imagine this if you will. A young lad who is very keen having done level 1 at 16 now with his sgc gets permission from an land owner (and family friend) to shoot in a few specific fields for vermin, mainly pigeons but rabbits too. He doesn't shoot in any of the woodland and is very grateful for what he has, helping out on the ground with harvest or whatever needs done.

On the other side of things a guy has the deer shooting rights and basically claims absolute supremecy and thinks all other ground users may only do so with his permission and at times he allows. A run in occurs through a third person and basically the young lad is strongly warned off shooting the ground because this other guy paid for the rights over it and pigeon shooting is not necessary now the crop has been harvested so he doesn't need to be there.

The owner of the land hears about this and in a nutshell tells the lad to carry on whenever he feels like it on the fields agreed and says some interesting things. So the warning is simple. Don't think just because you have paid for deer shooting rights that you are in charge of the ground by your rules. The land owner might quickly decide your not the type of stalker he wants there. Be nice and get on with people even if you have to put up with someone else shooting vermin on your deer permission because they might be far closer to the land owner than you.

One guy today just pis5ed on his chips.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more...there's room on this island for all of us!

Surprised the stalker didn't get his marching orders regardless of the lease.

I thought we were trying to promote our sport to youngsters. Doesn't seem the right way to do it.
I'm surprised the land owner has let him stay.

This story sounds familiar.... did the young lad post this a while back asking for advice on how to proceed?

I know of one local stalker who was given a free lease on some very good ground, because the former paying stalker took unauthorised clients out and didn't carry out a proper doe cull.

On the other hand, a friend gave up a lease he paid top money for because the deer numbers started to decline when the landowner let other people onto the ground to lamp foxes.

Quite a few of the big estates in this area sell the stalking rights, but the tenant farmers have the right to control vermin, it works well as long as you talk to the farmers.

Live and Let live.I know some youngsters can be very bolshiy (big headed) but it would be a good move to gently talk to him and the landowner and show him the error of his ways

Stalker should offer to take the youngster out,involve him and educate him,everyone gains from this type of approach.

That's exactly it. If the guy had bothered to get to know the young lad I'm sure it would have been a winner for the stalker. The young lad would have pitched in to help with ground chores and being an extra pair of eyes over the land is a bonus, all for a walk round now and again with the stalker. But the stalker thinks he's all boss man and from what's been said that's not the sort of man the land owner wants on his ground. There have been other run-ins with the catcher/trapper guys working on the land too so it all adds up.

Its very similar to a bit of ground I shoot on, but in that case the issues come with the pheasant syndicate. I shoot with the owners son and we always respect the syndicate but do the rabbit control etc, life got made very uncomfortable for a few years despite it being the farm my mate would take over. Got to a point and they got their marching orders so eventually shot themselves in the foot. Landowners / farmers know decent people on the ground are worth more than money, though it talks in certain situations it doesn't in others.

I remember that thread!

Being honest on this, I spoke to the stalker and was blown away having left details for him to give me a call over deer stalking on the estate (I had hoped there was an opportunity for the lad to get involved and maybe me) I'm helping this young lad get experience and he's getting the hang of pigeon decoying now. Next year he's looking at getting his rifles and he's been out a few times with me on the deer and lamping, he's a good lad and will do really well. I don't know what this stalkers issue is but he demanded written permission and from who it was given to go on 'his ground' telling us if we were going out we have to tell him. Err no.... it will be him that will have to tell the lad now if anything.

I've had this sort of thing in the past, have always tried to get on with other shooters. If the other guys get possesive It poses a dilema, do you bow to their demands and find something with less hassle or do you confront the problem and risk the farmer telling everyone to do one as he does not need the hassle. Ive had it pan out in my favour and also lost ground to someone that was a bit possessive, but not on bad terms with the land owner so who knows what the future holds.
I try to do my bit regarding giving others without ground or experiance a hand. I have not been stitched up yet nor expect to be. many people need to chill out a little, most of us stalk on other peoples ground and its a privelage that can be lost easily.

Good on the land owner, shame the guy with a bee in his bonet has a narrow mind ! A stalker with helping hand , could come in handy to promote our great sport even better.

I have the shooting rights on a large piece of land(I'm an employed keeper/deer warden) and do expect people to let me know when they are out to shoot vermin, deer(for the few I've allowed), pigeons etc. I am told when there are shoot days on the other small shoot, so I do not disturb the drives in the morning and expect the same courtesy from others in case I am out with clients. Vermin control comes below the deer stalking business and the deer stalking comes below the pheasant shooting.

BUT I do try not take a high and mighty attitude to who is allowed...I only allow someone to shoot after they have proved to me they can do so safely and humanely. I am out shooting 80% of the time so need to know who is planning to go out so for one I don't disturb them but more importantly we are all safe.

As I am out the most even the land owner, head keeper and land owners son pone me to ask. Of course I never say No and always accomodate them unless planned to be there with a client. They of course respect this! Its their money I'm earning anyway.

If the stalker is there alot then it is fair enough to ask the young lad to contact him but it seems his approach was way too possessive and rightly so has been dressed down.

Back