Feeding snakes hmr head shot rabbits

charlieboy-shooter

Hi,

I have a couple of reptile shops interested in head shot rabbits. My big concern is, as I'm using a Hmr with vmax cartridges there could be lead fragments inside. Don't want to be killing someone's snake.
The snakes generally want the head on. I guess the issue with lead with birds is the gizzard / grit and grind scenario but have no idea on snakes. I believe that Snakes by their very nature have a slow but thorough digestive system, hence the concern. Anyone know for sure how the lead may effect them ? Either from experience of feeding hmr head shot rabbits or can anyone point me in the right direction. I have read some stuff on some reptile forums but still unsure.
Thinking of changing to 17 or 20 gr hollow points, thinking they will be slightly less frangible and hence less lead retained in the head.

Thanks

I offered a snake owner some head shot rabbits that I had shot with .22 solids and he refused them as they were not sterile !!
I suggested that he deep freeze them for a few days and then defrost but he still would not take them.
No other reason other than 'Not Sterile' ???
His snake is a blooming great python that looked as if it could swallow a dog whole or even something bigger but still not interested.

I offered a snake owner some head shot rabbits that I had shot with .22 solids and he refused them as they were not sterile !!
I suggested that he deep freeze them for a few days and then defrost but he still would not take them.
No other reason other than 'Not Sterile' ???
His snake is a blooming great python that looked as if it could swallow a dog whole or even something bigger but still not interested.

How bizarre , not sterile. I know they are expensive and some people love them. But I'm pretty sure the wild one's don't use dettol or similar before eating. I can however understand pesticide concerns. I would be surprised if home breed rats and mouse for snake food are sterile either.
However people do and will buy them I just don't want to harm someone's snake.

I have had a few snakes over the years and I'd be surprised if a snake would eat a rabbit heard shot with a HMR. They like the food to appear live, warmed up and plenty of movement so the lack of a head and all the blood may put them off. Also the build up of lead in such a long lived animal would likely cause problems and due to the nature of the HMR bullets you will still get small fragments in the neck and sometimes shoulders.

The other issue is the possibility of introducing disease or parasites to the snake from a wild rabbit, tape worms etc maybe they won't kill the snake but a trip to the vets could be in order and reptiles usually aren't cheap to fix. Maybe this is what he meant by "sterile", captive bred rodents and rabbits will be in good condition and healthy. Last time I was buying frozen rabbits they were a few quid each and only needed 1-2 a month so I'm surprised the shops have that much of a demand as quality reared food isn't exactly expensive.

When I had Royal Pythons it as easy to spend £1k plus on a fairly common hybrid and the newer ones went for a lot more so saving a couple of quid a month on wild rabbits seems a bit odd.

Last edited:
Hungry snakes are generally not fussy. Freezing will kill the bugs and internal parasites in food items which can be fed defrosted and head off if needs be. The scent of blood is a guaranteed attractant.

Only recommendation if feeding head on switch to a round with no frag.

Speaking from 40 years experience.

All the best, S.

Same as raw dog food guidelines?
Place in deep freeze for minimum two weeks to kill bacteria etc
Kept corns , Argentinian boa & a dwarf Mexican his before but can't advise on the lead query sorry

Paul

Having seen the results compiled by a vet who x-rayed many rabbits head shot with a .22 lr using subs I can tell you that the rabbits you are shooting will be riddled with microscopic fragments of lead from the diaphragm forwards.
A reptile will not be immune from lead poisoning.

Having seen the results compiled by a vet who x-rayed many rabbits head shot with a .22 lr using subs I can tell you that the rabbits you are shooting will be riddled with microscopic fragments of lead from the diaphragm forwards.
A reptile will not be immune from lead poisoning.

That's very interesting or maybe a cause for concern for all us that eat rabbits. Can I clarify. Was the microscopic fragments actually that far down into the body with the .22 lr or are you saying due to the frangibility and velocity of the hmr that the fragments will likely travelled that far from the head, based on the results from the .22 lr x-rays ???
I know that we are all exposed naturally to lead to a certain degree but based on your vets finding should we not be consuming the upper body half of a head shot rabbit.

Additionally I would like to thank everyone that responded to my post and wish you all a good Christmas.

Last edited:
used to supply the old glasgow zoo with thousands of head shot rabbits for many years ( gutted skin and head on) for snakes bears and big cats never a bit of bother

Back