WHICH BOOT

nell

Hi folks, i thought i was set on the Miendl dovre's, but having read the replies on my other thread im not so sure.

The le chameau's seem to be favoured,but i'm not a fan.

Any other recomendations???

Nell

Haix Montanas. Never heard of them until they got a mention on this site. Coincidentally I was in the market for a new pair and having been put off by the adverse comments re: Meindls etc I have given them a try. They arrived a couple of days ago and look and feel very good - obviously time will tell!

Check out:

http://www.haix.com/eng/outdoorhunting_produktdetail_en.php?artikel=200301 and click in Download Features for all the techie detail.

If interested don't fart about trying to source a local supplier get in touch with:

http://www.workware.co.uk/

I found them very helpful and nice to do business with.

Lundhag Syncro Boot ;)

Haix are a well made quality boot though. I`m in the process of abusing a pair at the moment,lol.

Meindl Dovre ....I'm on 5th pair now. Look after the leather though otherwise you will ruin them.

Meindl Glockners look stronger but I prefer high boots

i have had le chameau's and dont rate them , i do rate Lowa's a 100% boot there are lots of styles and types but all are A1 . i use Lowa supercamp and mountain gtx and really rate them both

hope this helps...neil

Hi nell,give the hunter torridon plus a look they really are brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!and will not break the bank ;) can not rate them high enough light waterproof tough as ole boot 8) wear em all day long

griffshrek said:
i have had le chameau's and dont rate them , i do rate Lowa's a 100% boot there are lots of styles and types but all are A1 . i use Lowa supercamp and mountain gtx and really rate them both

hope this helps...neil

I totally agree with neil having had lowa mountain gtx for six years before I started neglecting them and the leather dried out and cracked .....100% my fault. but they are that comfy I wont throw them out and I use them on dry days ,I bought a pair of le chameau's less than a year ago and they have already been repaired as three of the hooks broke off and the leather is not standing up to the punnishment as well as my old lowa's

Mouflons are les than average and squeak!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matterhorns are good and cheap if you buy ex military ones from 'Evilbay'! ;)

Another vote for Lundhag Syncro,i had mouflons before and they did last me 3yrs but like all gortex boots if they're going to get damp a lot they rot from the inside out IMO.
Neil

boots

i was in the same boat as you last year. so many to choose from wich do i get?
well i ended up with the le chameaus and they are the best thing i bought last year.

I've got Lundhags, Danners, Meindls and (most recently) a pair of Brownings. If I had to go for one pair, it would be the Danners, but the Lundhags would be tough to leave behind ;)

willie_gunn

Ive got the glockners and i really like them, plenty high enough for me and stiff but not too stiff!

Worth a look if the Dovre are too wide fitting!

As has been said, make sure you look after them or any boots will crack and let water in

I had the Mouflons a while (when they were still 'good') and they arent a patch on the Meindl for the same price.

Im looking for a second pair currently and Scarpa Manta are looking likely from Evilbay

Dan

Harkila have a huge new range of boots coming out this year. It'll be very interesting to see how they stack up....who's going to be brave enough to shell out for the first pair??

I'm liking the look of them but don't know as yet who's making them. Hope it's not Chiruca.

Hi Nell

Have a look at the Diotto boots from Blackislander, they are graphite coated and dont need any treatment just a wash down with water.They also have self cleaning vibram soles. I know a few profesional stalkers that have them any they all say they are excellent. I personally have the meindl dovre extreme boots and they are fantastic and would recommend them to anyone but as with any boots the leather has to be looked after. I have also tried le chameau and wouldn,t every buy their leather boots again. :evil:

Try here http://www.blackislander.co.uk/clothing/about-us.asp?pageid=1

I use my boots both for stalking and for work . My work means standing outside from anout 4h30 am to 8h30 am . This without moving .
Then you get an idea what cold is . This winter was a TRUE test .
I own Chevalier Ultimate , Sorel Caribou and Chiruca Pointer boots .

From these the Chiruca's are by far the best . They where comfortable from the first second you use them . I could walk hours in them from the first minute , without having blisters or pain .
The Chevalier boots have Gore Tex Duratherm , the Sorels a felt innerboot , the Chiruca's just a simple Gore tex . I notice that the lightest ones are just as cold resistant as the heaviest ones .
I use Falke TK4 socks in all of them .
My experience is that a supple boot wich gives more freedom to the foot is just as warm or warmer as a thick boot wich almost immobilizes the foot . The Pointer is a cheap basic model and the only improvement I would give them , would be a thicker sole , but by no means more rigid .

When stalking , the Pointer alows you to feel a small stick under your foot before it breaks . They allow you to feel just how much grip you have with your toes before you put your weight on it .

Now my questions :
- How Waterproof are the lundhags ? Are the supple from te first minute or do they need breaking in ?
- Who has good experience with the American boots like Irish Setter / Danner . Are they more supple tha the "German" boots ?
- Who uses Kangaroo leather boots ? Very good ????

Go for meindls you wnt regret it. Ive had the same pair for the last 5 years and as a seasonal stalker (and stalking for myself the rest of the year) in scotland they get alot of stick but are still in great condition. My old head stalker had a pair and he had a huge hole on the toe of the right boot so that his toes inside the gtx sock were poking through. He used them for the whole year and didnt get wet once.

I have had; Hoggs, Meindle, Lundhagg, Hunter in the past but all have small things i did not like but were OK.

Current set up are Danner Santiam, Filson Highlander, Irish Setter Camo upland. Happy, but i see the Santiam is now not made which is a blow as these are the only boots to date i would have bought a second pair of. The Filsons are legend and i will pass judgement on them when they have done 10 years.

I have still not found a boot that does not look like **** after 30 days of picking up in bramble each season, any suggestions?

doghound said:
I have still not found a boot that does not look like **** after 30 days of picking up in bramble each season, any suggestions?

Yeah, you are obviously picking up all wrong.You know it is the dog that goes in the brambles? You are supposed to stand about on the lawn whistling and waving your arms about.

Now if you are talking about 30 days of beating in the brambles ..... :D

Bandit

So thats whats supposed to happen, got the arm waving and the whistling sound like a orchestra of blackbirds when i get going, just not on the lawn.

Our picking is all woodland probably only 1/4 drives on fields and we sweep acre's of woodland. I am one of the lazy bastards who walks on a track if i can find one imagine what the consciencious mugs boots look like or the dogs noses and chests come to that.

Back