lancs fire arms dept

dirtdigger

had my interview with feo simon vann the other week and he advised me to withdraw my application cos of a current driving ban ,got a letter of conformation on friday in which they state 2 more reasons , 1 of which he said was not an issue and the other is limited fire arms knowledge, ive been going on paid stalks for 3 years and have been 14 times, is this not enough ?

I suppose it depends what you've asked for and what the driving ban was for (drink driving I could see would be a good reason not to approve an FAC as an example) what the other reason is....... (which 'isn't an issue' ? but as its been stated then it obviously is) I'm a mentor for an inexperienced FAC holder in Lancs, it was an essential part of him getting the ticket (only .22 and .17hmr) and will probably be on there a year or so til I'm happy with his safety, quarry knowledge etc,

Last edited:
If I was in your shoes I would put the onus back on them, request a reply in writing, re what you need to do to overcome the issues that they see as good reason to decline your application.
ALSO TO OVERCOME THE LACK OF EXPERIENCE. join a rifle/gun club, they are refering to your lack of experience not the number of times you have been stalking. Also be positive about it.
it may be better to apply for a shotgun certificate first to get a foot in the door, then when you reapply go for a rimfire first (slowly, slowly catchee monkey):thumb:.
sinbad/paul

He is heading that way weeman, started out on the east lancs/ west yorkshire border now covering chorley and I believe the poulton area wont be long before you have the pleasure mate.
sinbad:Dlol

Its only a respectable joke.

Simon is a guy as who knows him, does his job to a strict high standard.

Only dealt with him once, no problems I had with him.

Sinbad are you Simon is disguise...??

don't withdraw your application, put it in and if it's not approved then follow process with your organistation as to why, then go forward from there.

I suppose it depends what you've asked for and what the driving ban was for (drink driving I could see would be a good reason not to approve an FAC as an example) what the other reason is....... (which 'isn't an issue' ? but as its been stated then it obviously is) I'm a mentor for an inexperienced FAC holder in Lancs, it was an essential part of him getting the ticket (only .22 and .17hmr) and will probably be on there a year or so til I'm happy with his safety, quarry knowledge etc,

ive asked for a .243 for stalking and foxing , the other issue was been treated for depresion after my house was reposest , my dad died, my mum died my my girlfriend of 15 years left me taking our son with her all within a year , they had spoken to my doc who told them i wasnt ill but all those things had taken their toll . the driving ban is for points build up

Get letters from who you stalk with. Get the to also add in your compitence in handle fire arms not just attendence in stalking, alos if they are dmq get them to add that in letter so they know what is about them too. That helped me ten fold in getting my 308 and 30,06.

Who do you stalk with and roughly where??

I would politely ask Mr Vann to submit your application, you will more than likely get a mentoring condition anyway so that covers the lack of experience. I'm sure you are not the first person with a driving ban to apply for FAC and you won't be the last. If the other thing isn't an issue then it's not an issue.

From the limited information available there would appear to be three issues.

1. Knowledge and experience of the firearm requested. This falls into the category of 'public safety'.
2. Motoring offence convictions leading to disqualification. This can be interpreted as having a disregard for the Law and/or being irresponsible. It is all a matter of fact and degree as to how much weight is placed upon this aspect. It is a 'fit to be entrusted' issue.
3. The current situation with the mental health and wellbeing of the applicant. This will be assessed according to the evidence supplied by medical professionals and your GP should be asked for a factual statement.

In reverse order and noting the adverse life events experienced by the OP, it is unsurprising that it would have an adverse effect on morale and wellbeing. If the depression is purely reactive and responding to treatment, it should not alone prevent the issue of a certificate. The licensing manager will consider whether the current state of mind/morale presents a risk to public safety (including risk to the applicant), should a certificate be granted. This is something that is highly personal and sensitive to each individual case.
In relation to the motoring offences, the number and duration of offences, their seriousness and whether persistent will be taken into account. For example three speeding offences collected over a period of time would be on the lower end of the scale whilst driving without insurance, dangerous driving, drink driving would be viewed more seriously. A person with two drink drive convictions within five years would be unlikely to be granted a certificate and if a certificate holder would be revoked.
Knowledge and experience is more nebulous and sound advice has already been given by others, regarding obtaining written references from those with whom you have used a similar firearm. Level 1 DSC is also viewed as showing commitment.
Having said all this, it may be that the most sensible and pragmatic decision could be to postpone the application until some of the issues have been resolved.
That would avoid forcing a formal refusal. However, should you chose to withdraw/postpone the application, I would reccomend that you politely ask the firearms licensing manager to inform you in writing as to what you need to achieve, in each aspect before favourable consideration would be given to granting a certificate. You will then know where the winning post is and how high the hurdles are on the way.
Some may recommend a more robust and combatative approach, but in view of the range of issues outlined, a more conciliatory dialogue may bear fruit before too long.
With best wishes. U Nm.

ive asked for a .243 for stalking and foxing , the other issue was been treated for depresion after my house was reposest , my dad died, my mum died my my girlfriend of 15 years left me taking our son with her all within a year , they had spoken to my doc who told them i wasnt ill but all those things had taken their toll . the driving ban is for points build up

I certainly do not wish to prejudge, all applications being considered "on their own merits", however the department may be taking a practical view of the application. There are obviously some medical issues, which as we know ,may not necessarily be a bar from making a successful application. I presume the "ban" is for a build up of penalty points under "totting up" accrued by driving convictions which obviously should be declared upon application. From the firearm licensing licensing point of view what does a successive number of driving convictions accrued before they are "spent", within a three year period, tell the licensing authority about an applicants attitude towards respect for the "due rule of law"......Why should they consider granting the applicant a firearm certificate, with all the associated responsibilities, when the applicant flagrantly disregards traffic law.....might that individual have the same "attitude and disregard" toward firearms law?.......

Dirtdigger.....Please do not take this response personally.... it is a resume of how firearms licensing departments, taking into account previous appeals against refusal or revocation, may apply the guidance in respect of "danger to the public OR THE PEACE"

My personal thinking on this one is that the licensing authority may be giving you the opportunity to withdraw your application until such time as your driving ban is spent. Should you press on and a "formal" refusal is forthcoming, if such were upheld on appeal, then you would have to declare that you had been refused a firearm certificate on each future application/renewal......My advice is to talk personally with the the licensing manger, seek his views on why they wish you to withdraw your application and discuss any future options open to you before making any final decision. In the meantime continue gaining shooting experience which you can submit to support your application.

Good luck with your application.

weeman wash your mouth out with soap:eek:LOL.
8x57 He may be one and the same he is a welsh man:lol:
I have dealt with simon on a couple of occassions and to be honest he was ok with me, he is covering a different area now though as dirt digger has found out.
sinbad

the points are from totting up , 6 for driving my now exs car as a named driver but she had not paid so they had cancelled it , the letters come marked private , how was i to know, another 6 were for not responding to a speeding notification , 2 weeks after my dad had died , alot of things got forgotten at that time

I presume the "ban" is for a build up of penalty points under "totting up" accrued by driving convictions which obviously should be declared upon application. From the firearm licensing licensing point of view what does a successive number of driving convictions accrued before they are "spent", within a three year period, tell the licensing authority about an applicants attitude towards respect for the "due rule of law"......Why should they consider granting the applicant a firearm certificate, with all the associated responsibilities, when the applicant flagrantly disregards traffic law.....might that individual have the same "attitude and disregard" toward firearms law?.......

I can see how they may want to interpret it in such a way, but as anybody who drives knows most people speed. It does seem harsh to count against someone something that
the vast majority of drivers do.

Get letters from who you stalk with. Get the to also add in your compitence in handle fire arms not just attendence in stalking, alos if they are dmq get them to add that in letter so they know what is about them too. That helped me ten fold in getting my 308 and 30,06.

Who do you stalk with and roughly where??
i gave him a business card from the guy i go with and they didnt even speak to him , it joe 243 off here and ive been to 4 different places with him , peebles , dunoon , dunbar and bonny rigg

Back