new requirement for my next knife!

ezzy6.5

When selecting a knife, my specification is really quite simple. I want a knife that is not to big. It needs to be slim enough to get into the pelvic tunnel of a Deer and just long enough for bleeding. It must be easy to sharpen and hold a good edge. It needs to be dishwasher proof and have a non slip handle.
Until today that was it. My mum has bought me a subscription to sporting shooter and it came with a free Buck knife. The box has an advisory on it.
The sticker reads 'This product contains a chemical or substance known to the state of California to cause Cancer, Birth defects or other reproductive harm':-|

So my new specification. Not too big, Slim, long enough for bleeding, dishwasher safe and finally, not give me Cancer or cause my nuts to shrivel up and die.

Am I being too fussy!

Ezzy

Cheers I F. I'm not really looking for a new knife. I use the Mora S/S normally and I might buy a Eka Fishblade next. I think the normal swingblade is a bit too broad and thick for me. I was curious what carcinogenic would be in a knife!!!

When selecting a knife, my specification is really quite simple. I want a knife that is not to big. It needs to be slim enough to get into the pelvic tunnel of a Deer and just long enough for bleeding. It must be easy to sharpen and hold a good edge. It needs to be dishwasher proof and have a non slip handle.
Until today that was it. My mum has bought me a subscription to sporting shooter and it came with a free Buck knife. The box has an advisory on it.
The sticker reads 'This product contains a chemical or substance known to the state of California to cause Cancer, Birth defects or other reproductive harm':-|

So my new specification. Not too big, Slim, long enough for bleeding, dishwasher safe and finally, not give me Cancer or cause my nuts to shrivel up and die.

Am I being too fussy!

Ezzy

Potato chips will cause all them things in california to hear them talk...... Does that buck knife have made in America on the blade or just china....

I was curious what carcinogenic would be in a knife!!!

If it's got any sort of plastic grip/bolsters I presume it will have some hydrocarbon chemical derivatives in it = carcinogen. I believe California is particularly anal about warning citizens of all possible risks to life, however trivial they may be.

Look no further, Alan Wood Woods walker, wince once but be happy that you've got the right tool for the job and enjoy a lifetime of use. Small enough to keyhole a munty, sturdy enough for Sika/Reds etc:

IMG_0048.jpg Photo by edmacnair | Photobucket

Friend of mine owns this one:

woodswalker_zps59824a92.jpg

Very nice. Wouldn't let it anywhere near a dishwasher mind! :eek:

Mine's the one in the other photo and is apparently dishwasher proof although I still do it by hand. ;) That damasteel looks really good.

Mine's the one in the other photo and is apparently dishwasher proof although I still do it by hand.

It'd most likely be fine, the micarta scales, stainless Loveless bolts, and I'm guessing either 12c27 or RWL43? stainless blade.

But even then, getting repeatedly washed in the washer couldn't be good for it in the long run. I imagine the constant getting hot in there would harm the epoxy over time. The bolts will always hold it, but gaps would eventually form around the handle scales and crap would get in.

Still a beauty though eh! :british:

You have to love commifonia, they also have a law that prohibits the shooting of whales from a motor vehicle with a hand gun.
Just curious why anyone would want a knife that is dishwasher proof.

It'd most likely be fine, the micarta scales, stainless Loveless bolts, and I'm guessing either 12c27 or RWL43? stainless blade.

But even then, getting repeatedly washed in the washer couldn't be good for it in the long run. I imagine the constant getting hot in there would harm the epoxy over time. The bolts will always hold it, but gaps would eventually form around the handle scales and crap would get in.

Still a beauty though eh! :british:

one of the wife's best presents ever for my 30th, mind you she got me a third eye drop mag conversion for Christmas-not a bad lass! It's rwl 34, I reckon it's the perfect knife for me on deer and takes a bit of abuse. I agree about the dishwasher, I just can't bring myself to do it.

IMG_0140.jpg

Have come up with this against your spec; slim, non slip because of full grip, dishwasher proof, not known to cause cancer.
Added utility, should your quarry spring back to life, a couple of "left and rights will sort 'em right out"
Does that help...?

In all honesty the Hultafors knives at £8 a pop are superb value for money they really are. I have many, many lovely knives but the grunt work really can be done with these fuss free bits of kit that take abuse.
Handle is truly non-slip, they hold a mean tough edge (resharpen after each outing with simple kitchen steels or mini-ceramic V-sharpeners)), and clean up well with no fuss; all the parameters are perfect.
You can lose it in the field and not be sick as a dog - I haven't lost any, but if you did...

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Hultafors-Knives/Craftsmans-Knife-Carbon/p-92-913-6864/

'This product contains a chemical or substance known to the state of California to cause Cancer, Birth defects or other reproductive harm':-|
Am I being too fussy!
Yes.

Does your car conform to CA emission standards? Do you care?

It is a knife. You're more likely to cut yourself than get cancer or whatever from it.

Just because the lawyers in Ca have a good lobby, does not mean you should over think buying a knife.

Yes.

Does your car conform to CA emission standards? Do you care?

It is a knife. You're more likely to cut yourself than get cancer or whatever from it.

Just because the lawyers in Ca have a good lobby, does not mean you should over think buying a knife.

I think some of you misunderstood me. It was a rhetorical question. I am not looking for another knife! it was a freebie (not a bad little knife for nowt) I thought it was amusing so I posted it on here. Given that I spent years casting my own bullets and all of my youth was spent using airgun pellets without washing my hands and live in an area famous for it's lead mines it's probably too late to start worrying. I already have kids and I'm not planning on any more (no birth defects that I can tell)

Ezzy

You need to buy a good kitchen knife, like a JA Henkel or Wustoff and have a sheath made for it.
No joking. I carry a top end Henkel 4 inch parer for a trout and bird knife.

Ignore warnings from the Peoples Republic of California, as the rest of America does.

Hi Stu,

That made me laugh. Looks like you are going to get lots of knife advise whether you like it or not :D.

Andy.

Back