Which .243? New or S/H. £700 budget

phitt

As above really. If it was up to you, which .243 rifle would you choose and why?
No calibre debates please.
Many Thanks

phitt

As above really. If it was up to you, which .243 rifle would you choose and why?
No calibre debates please.
Many Thanks

phitt
There's a cracking 243 Sako M591 in the for sale section. Personally, if have a second hand Sako over any Remington, Savage etc

Pete

Funnily enough the rifles listed are the 2 models I've been recommended outside the forum. I've been offered a nice 591 and had my eye on a couple of 700s including the one listed above.
For Sale: Remington 700 .243 Win

i will split this if your interested

Can you tell me any more about the scope on that 700. Not a lot of google info available I found. Will you be at Kelso?
Cheers

If you are on a budget then second hand beats new every time - simply you will get more for your money.

Does that £700 need to get you a full outfit, or is only for the rifle?

I would go with something fairly modern, and fairly standard,

i.e. Remington 700, Tikka T3, Browning X Bolt, Howa 1500, Savage Axis. Why? Because if you break something or need or want to change something it will be fairly easy to do so. You will always be able to buy scope mounts or stocks, any gunsmith you go to will have worked on one before.

Remington 700, accurate straight out the box with factory rounds. Silly accurate with homelands
Sako 75, again accurate but heavy to carry all day

Al

Rifle only. Planning on s/h optics also. No matter what I've bought I usually go for better kit but s/h.

As far as looking down the back of the sofa, checked there and the car!

Something upgradable would be nice. Can you do as much to the Sako as the Remmy. My last steed was a Remmy 700 in .22/250. Stayed as standard throughout and had no problems.

No need to do anything to Sako rifles.

Can change to a Macmillan stock, or go Laminated (heavier than Synthetic though).

I've not done anything to either of mine as they just work

Second hand Steyr Scout. Light, compact, tough and hard wearing, accurate and un fussy with all sorts of weight factory ammo and a superb set-trigger.
Ive recently took the nv back off of mine and have fallen in love with it again.
I've also got a .308 one and have had the .223 one in the past too.
A bit of a marmite gun but I really love it!

81aace5775b2dbed7c1ee2b99e4066a4_zpsd46f055d.jpg

Twins!
E0209271_zpsf95f4f1e.jpg

If you go on guntrader and hit select New and 243 there are plenty to choose from, Tikka, Winchester, Howa, Browning, CZ, Savage, Ruger etc. all should put factory ammo into a 2" box at 100 yards with the right nut on the butt.

I agree you can buy a really nice secondhand sako, mannlicher etc. but you have the added concern of what type of life the rifle has had, most will take a lot of punishment but its always nice to get "New" and have all the things (books, Warranty etc,) that go along with that.

Good luck with whatever you get.

regards,

Gixer

Loads of great info there folks, thanks very much. What strikes me is that the recommendations are generally what folks are confident with which is encompassing most makes and models. Even at a lower budget (other threads) there are still good recommendations of most rifle makes. Thanks for all the ad links. Thought I'd already looked through most of them but apparently not. I was lucky that my first rifle suited me down to the ground or maybe I wasn't quite as critical back then. Keep the suggestions coming if you have any more to add.
Cheers

A wise man (on this fourm) gave me the following advice, when i was pesting him about which rifle to get:

"all rifles do the same thing mate, if you like the gun and it suits you, get it".

From what i have learned, there are very few complete rotters when new (considering we are talking about hitting getting a 1" or 2" group at 100m and not losing zero, probably different if you expect more of it), and beyond that you are paying for extra features that will determine whether you like the gun or not. Second hand is again as much down to the condition as the make.

I ended up with a cheap second hand 243 which has been nothing short of stunning, a Husqvarna, but i suspect the life it has had is as much responsible for that as the brand.

Cheers for all the replies. Ended up with a rather good Sako M591 20" with T8 and a Habicht 6-24x50.
Happy as a pig in the proverbial.

I purchased my .243 Howa well within your budget and its an excellent rifle, most will be more accurate than the owner.

D

Back