Close shave

mike243

I went out fowling this afternoon and somehow managed to feed a 3.5" 12b shell into my 10b semi auto, luckily I am still able to type this with all my fingers, it went off with a bit of a fizz more than a bang but split the steel head of the shell, wont be doing that agin

mike

I was out ducking one night and a guy on the next pond put a 20 down a 12.
He wont be typing with his left hand again.
I shoot a 20 and 12 but religously check my pockets if I change gun, but in the heat of the moment I imagine it would be a very easy mistake to make.

A lesson to all.

At least you are ok Mike.

ATB

Nick

Friend of mine was sighting in a 243 and a 22/250 and put the 22/250 in the 243 by mistake.Nothing adverse happened,round was well off target and he couldnt undertsand why until i suggested what may have happened.Checked the empty case and i was right

Friend of mine was sighting in a 243 and a 22/250 and put the 22/250 in the 243 by mistake.Nothing adverse happened,round was well off target and he couldnt undertsand why until i suggested what may have happened.Checked the empty case and i was right

Thanks for that reply. I've often wondered about that as I run a .243 and a 7mm08 - obviously the 08 rounds won't chamber in the 243 but vice versa, they would. I assumed the bullet might bounce around a bit in a bigger barrel.

@mike243- you're a lucky man. Glad to hear you're ok.

What I don't beleive is anyone telling the world something like this that has the possibility of killing themselves or anyone with them .

Far from funny more like tragic , as are the other stories of the same nature.

I don't believe the gun never blew up.... a wee fairy tale?

Impossible for that to happen without the gun destructing so in my opinion it is BU***IT.

Care to elaborate in why you believe the gun would have blow up?

It is certainly not going to be because of excess pressure from the 12g load, an equivalent 12g load in a 10g will have a lower breach pressure due to the additional bores girth. Like Neil said the only danger I could invisage is the shot cup not leaving the barrel and the next round going up the back of that which could result in excess breach pressure although I'd expect barrel ringing to occour if that happened not a breach. The split cartridge seems to fit the bill as the brass will have had to much room to expand and not enough metal to sucsessfully obturate the barrel.

Last edited:
Its not "bull s41t" at all i had a lad out with me a few seasons ago and he did the self same thing .
He uses remmi 3.5 shells in his 12 and he used his sp10ga auto when with me, he must of had had a few 12s mixed with 10s in his pocket and unbeknown slipped one into the 10.
He never got the goose but the case swelled and split just like the one in the picture.
Dont think you were in much danger mike, unless the case had seperated and stuck up the tube and you sent anothe up after it. DF

I didnt post the incident because I thought it was funny, I posted it as a warning to others to how easily a tragic mistake can happen, I pulled a dozen shells out of a bag in the garage thinking they were all 10b, i sold the 3.5" 12 more than 5 years ago and didnt think there was any ammo left, as others have said I dont think there was too much danger until I had tried to fire another shell, long thin sticks are scarse on the marsh so I dropped a 5p coin down the barrel to check for a blockage and it didnt come out of the breech so I packed up and went home, the split case was jammed in the chamber so another shell wouldnt have loaded properly anyway.
Ive been out and sorted through my 10b loads this morning and found 2 more 12's which will go to my mate.

mike

I didn't know a 22-250 round would chamber in a .243

everyday is a school day

I didn't know a 22-250 round would chamber in a .243

everyday is a school day

well they're related, albeit distantly, they both have a 12mm (or near enough) base diameter and are both distant nephews of the 30-06 as far as I can make out, case-wise. The 22-250 is tapered like its father the 250 savage whereas the 243 takes its direct parentage from the 308 as I'm sure you know. But my understanding is both 308 and 250 savage were shortened 30-06 cases, one way or another.

8.8mm difference according to my reckoning. 22-250 oal is 60mm whilst 243 is 68.8. The case is firmly held in the back of the chamber, the extractor works, I'm sure the guy who posted was right and it was phenomenally inaccurate and potentially dangerous, but I can't see the firing pin not hitting the primer and doing it's thing. Might reform the case a bit though I should think!

yes I suppose if there was enough resistance in the chamber for the extractor claw to grab the case then it's plausible, but more likely the round would just be pushed too far into the chamber leaving a gap between firing pin and primer.

yes I suppose if there was enough resistance in the chamber for the extractor claw to grab the case then it's plausible, but more likely the round would just be pushed too far into the chamber leaving a gap between firing pin and primer.

AH yes but of course I've been looking at the oal which has an 8.8mm difference, case length however has only 3mm difference, there's every chance the claw will grip it as the bolt is driven home and worked.

Back