6.5x55 Seating Depth Worry/Puzzle

blowin

I have a Lee Loader that I want to use to load for my 6.5x55. The general consensus seems to be to use a factory round to set the seating die and take it from there. However...

The minimum OAL for a 140gn bullet is given by Lee as c. 77mm. But the Federal 140s that function very well in my T3 are only a shade over 74mm.

I worry that if I load the Nosler Partitions I've bought (32.7mm long) to replicate the Power-Shok OAL, I'll be seating them too deep (c. 14mm). In fact, even Lee's measurement seats them c. 11mm deep – which is already past the shoulder.

Any thoughts?

seat the bullet slightly over a calibre depth as a starting point regardless of bullet length and go from there

+1 to Bewsher.

Seat the bullet so that the base is level with where the case starts to flare.

Apply a Lee Factory Crimp.

You will not be disappointed, provided your powder & primer are within norms.

+1 to Bewsher.

Seat the bullet so that the base is level with where the case starts to flare.

Apply a Lee Factory Crimp.

You will not be disappointed, provided your powder & primer are within norms.

I agree. Seat the parallel side of the bullet to a depth that puts it at the neck and shoulder junction. It will work fine. If you're worried about a bullet being seated a few MM below the neck into the shoulder look at the 300AAC, 6.5 Remington Magnum, 350 Remington Magnum. All have bullets seated well into the powder supply.~Muir

If you're worried about a bullet being seated a few MM below the neck into the shoulder look at the 300AAC, 6.5 Remington Magnum, 350 Remington Magnum. All have bullets seated well into the powder supply.~Muir

hell you should see my 208gr 300WM loads!!

bullet is 1.533" long!!
neck is 0.264"
They are WELL into the charge just to get them in the magazine

Just to give you something different to think about doing.

Before you start clean your barrel (internally) thoroughly and properly with a good copper solvent cleaner... Then foul it with perhaps two or three shots.... :D

Full length resize a case and make up a dummy round, long enough to just engrave the bullet with the rifling. Do it wrong or ham-fistedly and the bullet will jam in the rifling and you'll need a cleaning rod to bump it back out. Do it right you'll have a few thou of engraving clearly visible. Measure the extent of that engraving and then seat the bullet deeper to the extent of that measurement plus perhaps 0.010" ie. seat your bullet roughly ten thou off the lands and know what that cartridge over all length is and check again that is no longer engraving before you go to fully loaded ammo. Then do a load ladder... Then play with the C.O.L.'s .... Endless hours of fun but can lead to some utterly astonishing accuracy you never would have believed your rifle was capable of... enjoy... Alternatively realise that you are reading this off the internet, posted by god knows who, and that you would be entirely insane to take such advice where reloading is concerned. Your choice :)

Back