Sst .270

maninblack

Hi
Has any body had any experience with reloading Hornady SST 130 grn in .270 Win I would like to use Varget or H4895 as I already have them for my other reloading, I realize that the information is there for 130 gns in other bullet combinations but I just wondered if there was anything different that people knew of for the SST.
MIB

I use sst in 270 and love them what species of deer are you shooting? Drive them around 2700fps and you will be fine, some people hate them but like any bullet shot placement is everything Atb wayne

I prefer Sierra 130 bt-sp 2'700 fps for woodland 2'900 for hill stalking I was not impressed by the sst bullet's.

When was the last time an estate asked you about your red tipped sst's ?

I don't have that issue. I was pre-warned when I booked stalking in Scotland many years ago...even though I didn't and have never used them. On saying I'd be bringing a .270 I was then made aware of the issue. Very politely it was advised "That's fine but no Hornady SST please."

And most when booking when saying on the 'phone they'll be using their own rifle will add the words "with standard soft point bullets...I trust they're OK?"

I'm guessing, if you're not aware of it, that you don't do a lot of hill stalking in Scotland then?

Last edited:
I don't have that issue. I was pre-warned when I booked stalking in Scotland many years ago...even though I didn't and have never used them. On saying I'd be bringing a .270 I was then made aware of the issue. Very politely it was advised "That's fine but no Hornady SST please."

And most when booking when saying on the 'phone they'll be using their own rifle will add the words "with standard soft point bullets...I trust they're OK?"

I'm guessing, if you're not aware of it, that you don't do a lot of hill stalking in Scotland then?

I booked stalking in Scotland many years ago...

Sounds like a re run of the good old days......:old:

I have shot 4 out of the 6 with in 30 miles of home, being told you cant use the round you want to is good enough reason not to go............

Tim.243

Being told you can't use the round you want to is good enough reason not to go

Some estates don't like them. They fear their reputation for excessive carcass damage.

It's their land, their beast, their rules. Same as asking about fibre or plastic wads on a shoot.

Or using non-toxic shot on a duck drive so the shoot isn't sending illegally killed duck to market.

Asking about and complying with that request shows maturity, courtesy to others and good manners.

Which some, it might appear, by the continued nature of their posts, clearly seem lacking in.

Last edited:
:cuckoo:used em once they are horrid F**** Things but I think I would use barns varmint instead if you rely wish to ruin there day :stir: :popcorn:

When I started this thread I didn't intend it to start an argument but I suppose that is the nature of foums, for imformation I don't want to load them for any deer in this country. I have just returned from Poland where in the hunting club I was at the SST is the bullet of choice for driven wild boar, but in saying that some of my shooting companions work for the british forestrycommission who swear by them.
MI

When I started this thread I didn't intend it to start an argument

No, MIB, it's just unfortunate that some people seem to delight in trying to be the Forum Clown. These Hornady SST do drop game dead but they do also have a reputation, in .270 WCF, deserved or not, for excessive meat damage.

When I started stalking, in "The Good Old Days" but without Charlie Drake in tow, the .270 WCF round with a then reputation as a "Bang. Flop" drop dead killer at a price of usually losing the shoulder on the off side was Winchester Silvertip.

These Hornady SST do drop game dead but they do also have a reputation, in .270 WCF, deserved or not, for excessive meat damage

Hornady advertise in their blurb that the bullet construction is designed to produce a massive wound channel. That would make perfect sense for driven boar as any shot even slightly less-than-perfect will result in a dead boar very quickly. I'm not knocking them, but I would question their use as a deer bullet as there're a lot of more suitable alternatives.

For what it's worth, my own personal favourite in .270 (which also happens to be my favourite calibre for almost all of my stalking) is the Speer 130gr SP. For me, it has the perfect combination of trajectory and stopping power. I'm not denigrating any other calibre, I'm just extolling its virtues as far as my experience goes

I have used SST and plain interlock in 270 using identical loads of 54.5gr n160 which gives me about 2800
even at these low speeds the SST produce significantly more damage than the untipped counterpart
hit a shoulder bone and they can be really messy

horses for courses
i shoot mainly red with the 270
the majority go to the dealer
i purposely avoid shoulders and go for high or rear chest

i will stick to interlocks or Speer soft points

that said they are more accurate by a small margin than the interlocks
they also impact an inch higher at 100 in my rifle
still have a few loaded up, I keep them for a follow up shot knowing I have a 250yd zero and a bullet designed for bigger wound channels at lower velocities

Oh and variety is a poor choice
rl19/22
n160/165/560
h4831
all tried and tested

Last edited:
Back