Carbine or full barrel?

widu13

For you knowledgeable folks out there; I will be getting a new CZ 455 in .22LR shortly and will use it moderated most of the time. Will the barrel length affect the carbine real life hitting power much? Most of my shooting with a a .22 is 50-75m and occasionally to 100m. I know that paper punching it won't make much of a difference but will much kinetic energy be lost with the carbine when used on quarry?

I doubt there will be much difference at all. The important factor is that your POI is correct, the rest will fall into place nicely and the job will conclude successfully.

Buying cheap bud. Currently have an Annie 525 that is up for sale which I love but I fancy a change. I'm on a budget :confused:

Last edited:
I have an old Brno 2E that was cut and crowned and threaded Valkyrie at 13 inches and it is amazing how accurate it is, bloody handy in the truck too compared to my 525 which needs about a foot of tube removing !!!

In a similar vein, I have a CZ452 that I'm considering having cut down to make it a bit more manageable in a vehicle, especially with the SAK mod' on the end. Anyone else had this done?

In a similar vein, I have a CZ452 that I'm considering having cut down to make it a bit more manageable in a vehicle, especially with the SAK mod' on the end. Anyone else had this done?

Mine was an original 22 inch version, it has now been cut many times, 18" then 16" followed by 14" to match my annie 1517.
It is now 12 and fraction threaded M15 and is more accurate than it has ever been, loss of power ? not that I have noticed.

Neil. :)

Short is fine

I did read on a few sites that by using a long barrel you will actually slow the bullet down due to the length or something like that

Short is fine

I did read on a few sites that by using a long barrel you will actually slow the bullet down due to the length or something like that

Yes, I read an American article years ago on a test where they measured the velocity whilst cutting down the barrel of a .22lr rifle - highest velocity in that case was around 16" barrel length.

Yes, I read an American article years ago on a test where they measured the velocity whilst cutting down the barrel of a .22lr rifle - highest velocity in that case was around 16" barrel length.

Convenient that, in a country with a 16 inch minimum barrel length ;)

Neil. :)

I did. You won't regret it. Chopped it to 16 inch to match my .17hmr

Back