1st Buck - need help with preparing trophy

User00003

Even though I've shot red deer in the last few seasons on estate shoots, I stalked and shot my first Roe Buck last night @ 20:55. Approx. 50 meters, pure heart shot. He dropped immediately :D He was just a 2 point yearling, but quite tall (20cm approx.) and well cleaned off. I considered letting him go, to try and find a 6 pointer, but he started walking towards me quickly, so I knew if I didn't take him, he would run off barking and scare off any other bucks nearby...nevertheless, he will taste great, and still makes a very nice trophy:D:D:D ...will post a picture later...ps. shot him with Sako 75, .243 and with S&B 6X42 fixed (hungarian) and with Norma SP 100gr.

I have butchered deer before, and did a great job with this one too, but I have never prepared the head/trophy before (ie. cutting, boiling, etc.). I have all the tools necessary, but need help with how to do it - a youtube link or similar would be a great help, or diagrams with instructions if anyone has it.

thanks in anticipation.

View attachment 1416
Here he is :)

Got the trophy mounting sorted ok - did a pretty good job, but don't have a picture of that just yet.

Thanks for the link (and for the offer of help central'..stalker).

cheers,

thanks for the input up to now.

so....for my first roe mount, I managed to overcook the head a bit (20 mins initial boiling time is a bit much - been advised 10 mins, then clean, then 10 mins, then clean, etc. is better) - and of course being a very young buck, most of the nose section came off in the boiling. It was oddly enough 90% cartilage, as opposed to what I'm used to seeing with reds.

doesn't matter, it will still be my first, and therefore stand out a bit! ha ha ha. so I need to know the best way to cut the skull to shape for a round shield instead of the traditinoal v-shaped shield, and how to angle the cut to get a nice round mount rather than the traditional full skull look.

anyone got any links/pics/etc.?

....next one will be done right - ha ha ha...

Back