Hello, I'm new to the site from Wiltshire.

Gunpilot

Hi I'm new to the sight and live in Wiltshire. I have recently competed DSC level 1 and am now looking for a kind soul to take me under their wing in the Hampshire and Wiltshire area to show me the ropes, but being military and not knowing a lot of local land owners am finding it a little difficult to get my feet under the table. I have been shooting and hunting for years, but Deer are new to me. I have a 17hmr & shotgun which I use for rabbits and am just about to put a variation in for a .308 for deer. Am looking forward to good advice from like minded people.

Hi Welcome to the site. I am ex-Military and have had quite a bit of experience with the MOD stalking scheme, known as DDM - Defence Deer Management.
As most of Wiltshire, or a lot of it anyway, is MOD land I suggest you get in touch with your local DDM rep.
There are a few members of DDM on here so they may PM you and offer advice too.
DDM has one of the most intensive hands on training programmes regarding Deer in existance today.
If you have land enough to acquire a .308 already I am sure there will be plenty of offers of assistance from experienced stalkers in this area.
Stalking is a wonderful experience even if you don't find the right animal to enable you to carry it through to the cull, it is still enjoyable being out and seeing them.
Even if you don't even see an animal, if there are Deer present, the sign will be there to identify their presence.
good luck and I hope you get to stalk soon.

Last edited:
Hi EMcC, Thanks for the advice on DDM. I have contacted them, but unfortunately you need to be able to guarantee 5 years to serve on paper at the start of training and I have slightly less than that. I am likely to serve or another 10 years of so, but just don't have it on paper yet. I have asked them to reconsider and i am hopeful they will, as I live on the doorstep of the plain. In the mean time I am looking for some one close to Amesbury who can help me enhance what I learnt on DSC 1 so I can continue to progress. As for the .308, spoke to WFD before my DCS1 and they informed me that they are happy to issue a variation for my .308 on completion of the DSC1, I am just waiting for the DSC certificate to come through the post before I apply.

Good luck with your extension of service, that will certainly get you started with DDM.
That is a bit of a pain but it is to justify the time and level of training you will receive during your induction period.
You are ideally located for access to the Plain, so once you are in, you will be able to monitor Deer unaccompanied ready for when your DDM sponsor is available to take you out.

Unfortunately the extensions don't happen until a year before your due to leave, so for the next 4 years I will need to look outside of DDM, I would be grateful of any recommendations for local stalking! Or a steer towards anyone who could help with my further stalking education.

Welcome to the site and i am sure someone on the forum will supply you with some good advice and direction.
​Enjoy shooting that .308

Back