What powder in Norma bullets

big ears

Anyone know what powder goes into Norma 120gr 6.5x55 bullets? The heads are Nosler BT. Bought some factory loads and they shoot a dream so want to try and replicate them.

cheers

BE

6,5x55 Swedish Mauser - Norma

It'll be one of their own powders according to the link either 203-B, 204, MRP or URP. You'll need to strip a round and check the weight of the charge along with the MV on the box against the load data. Then you will need to locate a powder with similar characteristics and go from there as we can't get Norma powered as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for the link. Will look at box and work out MV. Found a comparison chart and it looks like vit n140,n160 and n560 so no surprises there. I have 140&160 so will play around with those. Thanks for your help

BE

Last edited:
Forget what it says on the box big ears as that information can be way out. The only way that you will know for certain what velocity the rounds are doing through your rifle is by using a chronagraph.

The powders you mention will be a good starting point to duplicating a load or at least matching it but I know from experience how difficult this can be sometimes. Not so bad with a single barrel rifle but can be quite frustrating in the case of getting a duplicate load to that a double rifle was regulated for which is what I have tried to do.

I forgot to say about the Chrono 8x57 good spot, I only use the speed on the box to compare to the company load data to narrow down the powder as the speeds from rifles can be way off company load data before working up the duplicate between the factory ammo and the duplicate using the rifle and speeds as benchmarks.

hi box says that the MV is 860 m/s with and energy of 2886J (love SI units) also says that there is 60g of gun powder!! i presume they mean grains but this is very hot if it is as top load for N160 is 50.7. Think it is URP they are probably using as this would be the easiest to fit into their data this equates to N150 which i do not have!! will try N160 but if no good then off to the RFD for more powder.

Thanks again this has been really helpful.

BE

Last edited:
factory loads rarely use the exact powders that that manufacturer sells as a separate reloading component
you might be lucky and find one that it but they are not stupid

if you can buy the exact same brass, powders, bullets and (possibly) primers as make up an off the shelf cartridge at 1/2 the cost they know it is only a matter of time before factory sales go down!!

I replicated a Norma .270 load with N160 which works very well. My sister still shoots factory and my reloads have the same (very similar) POI at 100 and 500.
need a chrony to really nail it though

Thanks brewsher it makes sense and I'm sure if I were in their shoes would do the same. Have enough info now to try what I have got and get close if not it will be back to the drawing board. Have flirted with the idea of a chrono maybe this is the push I need.

Back