DIY Comb Raiser

andibrains

After watching the link put up recently by singing stalker about correct rifle set up I realised that due to the large objective on my scope I was lifting my head slightly to get my eye in-line. I had a look at some comb raisers on the net and being a bit strapped at the moment decided I could probably make one for alot cheaper. Here's some pics to show what I did.

First I had to figure out how high I needed the comb raising, I did this with soft wood blocks which were easy to trim material off to get the right height:

Mark I
mark 1.JPG

This was waaaay to big and bulky so onto mark II:
mark2.JPG
This was just the right height but lets face it bloody ugly so I had a look around and found this:
fimo.JPG
This is mouldable clay which can then be baked hard in a domestic oven. Mark III:
mark3.JPG
I managed to mould this to the rifle stock having covered it in clingfilm first. The two brass pins are to allow for location on the rifle stock.

Corresponding holes in rifle stock:
locating holes.JPG

This shows it installed:
installed.JPG

And finally I bought a RADAR stock cover to go over the top to hold it all in place. (The combe raiser has to be removable to be able to get the bolt in and out)
final.JPG

So that is it! I Got the FIMO for 1.25 from an art shop and the stock cover from the local RFD for £14. Anything else drills etc I had somewhere in the house. Compared to the prices I have seen on the net I am made up with this, although I would have to add a small disclaimer I have no idea if it will have a positive affect on my shooting!!

My bad for posting that link. Now you have me thinking as well. but first I need to redesign my quad sticks and then redesign the bracket for my NV.
So many ideas so little time.
:D

Back