Sauer and scope question

Wills

Hi all,

I have mounted the 2.5-10 x 50 zeiss varipoint scope that I used to have on an r93, to a sauer 202. Both were the same calibre (270). However, on initial firing, the bullets landed about 2 feet low at 100 yards. I was not expecting this at all, and as a result, have had to turn the vertical adjustment turret to nearly it's maximum hight setting. Any idea what would cause this significant variance from rifle to rifle?

cheers

wills

What kind of scope mounts are you using on the Sauer 202 ? If its Apel or Recknagel is easy to fix.....you need a higher guiding plate (located under the rear ring), which is very easy to change.

Its the cube under the ring (on the left).

Apel.jpg

Last edited:
One of the lads here had a similar problem with a Sauer 202 running out of elevation and just achieving zero at 100 yards.

We cured it by shimming the rear base.

Are you using Leupold mounts?

At the risk of stating the obvious, the rear bases on a 202 is thicker than the front by a few mm's.

Mine aren't. Get a small spirit level and sit it in the middle of the barrel then once its level move the level to the scope. They should be exactly parralel.

My two Sauers and rimmy and PCP were all set up using a spirit level. As for the scope you just sit the bubble level on the turret cap and if its curved simply remove it.
Also all my Sauers have paralell/equal bases.

Thanks, no they are talley. Would something as simple as swapping the front for the back help?

One of the lads here had a similar problem with a Sauer 202 running out of elevation and just achieving zero at 100 yards.

We cured it by shimming the rear base.

Are you using Leupold mounts?

At the risk of stating the obvious, the rear bases on a 202 is thicker than the front by a few mm's.

Mine aren't. Get a small spirit level and sit it in the middle of the barrel then once its level move the level to the scope. They should be exactly parralel.

Surely the line of sight is not parallel to the bore, it is converging. This results in the bore being angled slightly upwards when the line of sight is horizontal. If the line of sight was parallel to the bore then you would never be able to achieve zero as the bullets path would never cross the line of sight.

How do you achieve that? As i said i use that as a set up and zero at the range i use. Maybe paper punchers do it another way?
Are you confusing trajectory and POI with scope alignment?

Last edited:
.... As for the scope you just sit the bubble level on the turret cap and if its curved simply remove it.
Also all my Sauers have paralell/equal bases.

Hmmmmm..... Paint me sceptical of the merit of this approach.

To the OP, the Sauer 202's I have seen have a rear base thicker than the front. I just remembered there is one version which has Warne type bases precast into the aluminium action, these would use standard rings and don't need a base. However, assuming your bases are correct, the only solution I see is to shim the rear base.

If your rifle has the precast bases, then exchanging the rings might be worth a try.

But what would I know, I have only set up Sauer's with Apel, Warne and Leupold mounts.

Last edited:
My 202 has different thickness bases front and rear but I don't think you would be able to assemble the rings and scope without noticing...

i wouldnt want want to shim as I always feel that means something isn't as it is supposed to be, I have a PV Swarovski that wouldn't bore sight once although it appeared the scope did ok on a sako but just could not set up on my 202, I've had numerous scopes on it but only had an issue with one specific habicht PV.

maybe try another set of bases.

Leupold QR's are very good and go back to pretty much zero when reattached.

regards,
gixer

Hi all,

So I have solved the problem. I put two pieces of film negative between the rear mount and the ring. I fired a few test shots to prove the concept. At 60 yards, it had raised the impact about 12 cm, before, I had it at 0.5 inch low at that (zero 100 yards). This will give me plenty of scope movement (at least up to 300 yards) using the ASV facility of the scope.

Back