Film 39: First Deer with 147gr ELD-M

PATHnz

I went for a quick hunting trip to find a deer since the weather forecast was incredible for early winter - and found one! Featuring ice, deer, and an impressively useless cameraman. This was my first kill with the 147gr ELD-M out of my .260, and I am impressed so far.

ELD-M, as opposed to ELD-X ? What sort of distance, velocity, wound etc ?

Yes, ELD-M - I tried the ELD-X and didn't like the results (nothing dropped on the spot).

Distance: 470 metres (no suitable shooting position any closer).
Velocity: 2740fps
Wound: Large, effective

Be interesting to see what they do at closer ranges. Very nice country you have. One of my pipe dreams to visit someday.

Yes, ELD-M - I tried the ELD-X and didn't like the results (nothing dropped on the spot).

Thanks for that, possibly too heavy for my 47 to throw, but good to know they work like their predecessors !

Seems odd that you have had cleaner killing with the match version over the hunting version? Were the ELD-X expanding properly and giving you pass throughs?

I'm about to start with the ELD-X on N Island reds in .308 so will be interesting to see how I go.

Love the video.

Thanks for that, possibly too heavy for my 47 to throw, but good to know they work like their predecessors !

Max, I'm running 129 ABLR's out of the 6.5x47 at 2910 fps and they are working very well. Having spoken with a few Kiwi's there's a huge difference between our hunting and there's. We need a bullet that's going to stay together at 100 meters and still expand well further out. The ELD-M is more like to old Amax which is great at longer ranges with slower TV's but as many have found out a bit messy up close. The ABLR works well from 50 to 400 meters for me. I would try the 142 ABLR but my 8.5 twist will not stabilise it. If you are running 8 twist you should get away with it.

Back