Tikka T3 vs ???

MJ75

Hello everyone

I've just been introduced to deer stalking via a four day course and am now wanting to progress with my DSC level 1 and FAC application etc. During the course we used 2 Tikka T3's in .243 and 6.5mm calibres.

Having not fired a rifle in quite some years I was most happy when I hit a one inch bull at 100 yards with my first shot. I was also happy with the other shots I took from different positions and at different ranges etc. The guns light weight was appreciated and I am happy to say the .243 took both a roe doe and a red hind no problem at all. Both animals ran no more than 3 yards, before dropping. The red only about 1 yard.

The stalker who provided the training course advised me that the T3 was an ideal package. And from my very limited experience I had no doubt to think otherwise. And to be honest I had all intentions of acquiring a T3 .243. The fact that it's Forestry Commision standard issue, also impressed me.

Then I found this site and read that many people don't rate this weapon at all. Unfortunately, few alternatives seem to have been proposed. So, my question to the board is :-

What .243 rifle would you suggest for a begginer to stalk with if you believe a T3 is rubbish. Having been out in the rain, climbing up and down high seats and "army crawled" along the ground in Scotland (The area I plan to stalk in the future), I believe a beautiful walnut stock would be a poor choice as it will only get scratched and damaged etc. So I'm more than happy with a synthetic stock as I believe this will be more practical, although not as aesthetically pleasing.

Sincerest regards
MJ

Hi Mj,
I too was told that T3's are crap, so I tried one and liked it. Infact i now own two (243 & 308)and intend to get a T3 tactical 300 and maybe even a 6.5x55 Varmint.

They are good starters rifle! So my advice would be get a synthetic and stainless Varmint, heavy barrel but still only 7lbs in weight. All you need then is to buy a really good scope like a Schmitt and Bender. Job done. Everyone has an opinion, this is mine.
If you intend to have just the one rifle, try a 6.5x55.
I hope this helps. :)

Most of those who have a chance to compare the T3 with the Remmy will opt for the Remmy. I don't blame them. I think they just feel and look a better rifle. Its all down to personal choice really.

Budget rifles are much of a muchness, built to a price, modern manufacturing ensures that they rarely turn out a complete pile of s#!t. But it has been known. excessive head spacing, over size chambers, over long throats, chambers machined on the p!$$, plastic stocks that flex and bend or have overly short or long lengths of pull usually to short. Poor comb height especially if you want to use larger objective lensed scopes.

The joy with a Remmy is that given a little time and a small budget you can have a play around in the replacement parts market place, as everyone makes stocks and components as drop in fits for Remmy's, and eventually build yourself a semi custom rifle. If thats what you want of course.

Nothing wrong with Tikka's I have used them for over 20 years all over the UK, and 4 different countries in Africa, never let me down once.

Just bought a new 270 Tikka Lite, three bullets 3 deer, what more can you ask of a rifle, whether it costs £800 or £8000, its the person behind the rifle that makes the difference.

Some people prefer to pay a great deal of money for fancy custom jobs, and if that is what turns your light on then fine. But I would still put any Tikka up against any other rifle and it will still do the same job that it was designed to do. kill deer!!

I have a T3 and like it, with a T8 and with Swarovski 3-10x42 it balances handles nicely. The receiver is far better designed and machined than a Remington, the trigger as good, perhaps better, while the plastic trigger guard and magazine maintain the black finish far longer than the anodised aluminium ones on the Remington that soon wear on the edges leaving shiny areas.

T3 also have integral scope mounts, while the bolt has a proper extractor, a design adopted for many Remington customised actions.

However, the most important thing in a rifle is confidence, you have tried a T3 and like it, so build on that confidence. Buying a rifle and scope is an expensive undertaking, a T3 with a good scope will perform better in the field than a more expensive rifle and a cheap scope in poor light.

sikamalc said:
Nothing wrong with Tikka's I have used them for over 20 years all over the UK, and 4 different countries in Africa, never let me down once.

SMalc

Sorry But you cant compare a T3 with a m55 or m65 as far as quality of finish, components or looks are concerned. Or a 595.

Chalk and cheese.IMO.

Sorry we have taken this thread off topic.

One man's meat is another man's poison!
I own a Tikka 595 and have owned a Tikka M65 both are excellent rifles and I would certainly buy Tikka again. I have also owned a Remington 700 sv for a very short time, probably one of the worst rifles I have ever owned I will certainly not buy another one. Howa is another matter, I would consider a Howa, it is basically a Remington built as it should be, the quality is far superior.

Rabbit, the topic is Tikka, I have the early model in wood, a very good rifle, which I am letting a young friend in Finland have as he is a young man who is a very good hunter and shot his first Red Stag with it 3 years ago. He also writes a great many articles in Finnish hunting magazines and intends on writing up the history of my rifles use. I would not be prepared to let anyone else have it, but it is going to a good home. I also have a very good english friend who has one. They are good rifles.

Your opinion is yours, mine differs from yours, and with a lot of miles under my belt with Tikka, I stand by my claim. Like I have said before it is the person behind the rifle that makes the shot. The main reason for my getting one is the amount of deer management I now undertake wood is too much trouble to look after. My rifles are working tools, and earn their living.

Correct me if I am wrong but another member off this site who is no longer on the site? also had the same views ;)

I should correct my previous comment, Howa is how a remington should be built i.e. on a par with a Tikka. Value for money Tikka take some beating.

8X57, good on you, I am not saying Tikka are the best rifles ever made. But for quality and value and for a good working rifle that shoots straight out of the box they take some beating. I also have a Ruger in 25.06 which I also like a great deal.

You might find its a bit quiet on the Rabbit front from now on. ;) probably mexamotosis (if thats how you spell it)

It does not matter what name he goes under. He can't change the way he voices his opinions. You could recognise the tone a mile off!
How long before he pops up again? His name should be Dirty Ferret not Rabbit!

I think its good that he keeps popping up! He is like Dr Evil in the Austin Power's films. Pure comic genius, I just can't take him seriously. He must really love this site to make up so many aliases. :eek:

i have a tikka .308 and find it very accurate,when i did my dsc1 everybody was impressed with it and one of the chaps on the course builds his own rifles and he really liked it.mine is the t3 lite synthetic/blued.very good value,just hope it gets me my first beast on saturday morning :D

Good luck with that deer saturday tika 308! I went out with my Tikka Varmint 308 this morning to check my zeroing. I killed a few bales of straw with it. That'll teach them! ;)

Thanks for the replies chaps. I did really want someone to list an alternative model or two and state why that model was a better purchase than a T3. Yet no one has done so, so far. At least not with giving a detailed reason as to why, so I think I'll start with a T3 and see what happens.

Regards
MJ

I think that the most important thing is that you are comfortable with the rifle that you use. The less you have to worry about when you squeeze the trigger, the better. I have never owned a Tikka but they sell thousands for a reason. They are obviously perfectly respectable and accurate rifles. I have a Sauer 202 which I think is a beautifull rifle. I am not sure that it would feel right with a synthetic stock or a stainless barrel and the stalking that I do rarely calls for it. The Sauer suits me and I love it. If the T3 can do the same for you then buy it and good luck!
Cheers
Andy

Hey Tikka 308 good luck with the weekend stalking, I hope you are succesful. I can only echo what Andy has already advised.
If you pick the rifle up and it fits you and feels right, then thats the one for you, whether its a Tikka, Sauer, Ruger whatever, its you that makes the shot.

Good luck

Sikamalc

I've got to agree with you 300wsm. My Varmint is a 308 but its just great! I've got a Sworski 6x42 on mine. Stalking or long range target shooting, it will knock them down all day! :D

Back