A good projectile for 7x57?

oldmate

Hey guys, I've just purchased 2nd hand zastava m70 in 7 x57. I will be using the rifle for hunting fallow,reds and pigs.shots would range from close say10-20m to max 150m. What is a good bullet weight and type/ brand. I'm thinking on the heavier side say160 and up, I already have a 6.5 swede running 140g SST's. i have win 760 powder, is it a good powder for the 7x57 or is their a better choice?
thanks
wes

Hi I have been useing a 7x57 for the last couple of years and have found that the ideal for my rifle is a 140g I was useing federal 140g but as I wasnt able to get any more as none were in stock at the time I have just changed over to honady 139g superformance sst with great results on every thing from muntjac to sika unless you are useing it on boar there is no need to go to heavy hope this helps

I use the bog standard Hornady 139g Softpoint and seems to work well. I have thought about the 139g SST, but they are nearly twice the price and the soft points work well so I haven't got round to trying them.

If I was shooting bigger tougher stuff then look at the 154 or 162 gn Hornady Interlock, or the Speer equivalent. A similar Nosler Partition would be well worth a try as well. If you can get some 173n round nose bullets - they hit hard and penetrate well - Bell used these on Elephant!

I can't comment on powder choice yet for 7x57 - I have recently got a Rigby, but have 50 odd Hornady 275 Rigby factory rounds to get through first. I use IMR 4831 in my 7x65R, but IMR 4350 is a bit faster burner and might be better suited to the 7x57. Have a good read in the manuals.

Chuck Hawks comments on the 7x57 are as follows:

The 7x57 Mauser (.275 Rigby)

By Chuck Hawks
7x57.jpg
[SIZE=-2]Illustration courtesy of Hornady Mfg. Co.[/SIZE]The 7x57 was developed by the famous German firm of Mauser in 1892, and adopted by the Spanish government in 1893. Subsequently, several Latin American countries adopted the 7x57, including Mexico. In Europe, Serbia adopted the cartridge, and it became a popular sporting cartridge all over Europe. In Great Britain the 7x57 became so popular that the John Rigby Company adopted it as the .275 Rigby. Many bolt action rifles built in the UK were so marked. Under both names the cartridge was used extensively for plains and mountain game in Africa and Asia. Ammunition is manufactured and sold in Europe, Africa, North America and most of the world. The 7x57 is a true world-wide cartridge.
W.D.M. Bell, perhaps the most famous of all African commercial ivory hunters, killed the majority of his over 1000 elephants with the 7x57. He used the 175 grain FMJ bullet for brain shots, and liked the .275 Rigby (as he called the 7x57) for its accuracy and low recoil and report.
Current ammunition catalogs from PMC, Remington and Federal show loads for the 7x57 with 140 grain spitzer bullets (SD .248) at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2,660 fps and muzzle energy (ME) of 2,199 ft. lbs. Winchester loads a 145 grain spitzer to the same MV for a ME of 2279 ft. lbs. Federal and PMC also load 175 grain RN bullets at a MV of 2440 fps and ME of 2315 ft. lbs. These are the standard American low pressure factory loads.
Here are some 7x57 specifications that should be of interest to reloaders: bullet diameter .284", maximum COL 3.065", maximum case length 2.235", MAP 46,000 cup.
There are a wide variety of 7mm bullets available to the reloader, from around 110 grains to 195 grains. Barnes offers a 175 grain RN solid (SD .310) and a 195 grain soft point spitzer bullet (SD .345). The North American shooter who wants to get maximum utility out of a 7x57 really should be a reloader. The 130-140 grain bullets are generally the best choice for CXP2 class game, while the 150-175 grain bullets get the nod for CXP3 class game. Restrict shots at the latter to 200 yards/meters or less.
The 7x57 is a well balanced and well designed cartridge for which a number of medium burning rate rifle powders are appropriate. Among these are H414, H380, H4350, IMR 4064, IMR 4320, IMR 4350, and W760.
The reloader with a strong rifle who loads to about 50,000 cup can do better than most factory loads. Do not use the maximum loads quoted below in the relatively weak Model 93 and 95 Mauser actions, or in Remington rolling block rifles. According to the Speer No. 13 Reloading Manual the Speer 130 grain spitzer bullet (BC .394, SD .230) can be driven to 2649 fps by 46.0 grains of H414 powder, and 2960 fps by a maximum load of 50.0 grains of H414.
The 145 grain Spitzer (BC .457, SD .257) can be driven to 2501 fps by 44.0 grains of H414, and 2748 fps by a maximum load of 48.0 grains of H414.
The 160 grain spitzer (BC .502, SD .284) can be driven to 2,363 fps by 42.0 grains of H414, and 2582 fps by a maximum load of 46.0 grains of the same powder. All of the above loads used Remington cases and CCI 250 primers, and were chronographed in a 22 inch rifle barrel.
Note: A full length article about the 7x57 can be found on the Rifle Cartridge Page.

Last edited:
H-414 ( same as W-760) is supposed to be the best powder for the 7x57.
It is very similar to the 4350s ( H, IMR, and AA), RL-17 and Norma 203.

If you have 139/140-gr bullets, start there with H-414. I load 44.0 gr H-414 under Hornady for my 7x57R for 2,650 FPS. In your rifle, 49.0 gr of H-414 or 4350 will give you 2,800+ FPS.

The Speer 145-gr BTSP is a serious long-range bullet which performs at closer ranges, too. I load them in my 7mm-08, .280 Rem and 7x64mm. Very accurate in all of them.

150 gr and 154 gr are good weights, and there are lots of good bullets in that range. You don't need to spend money on "premium" bullets, as the Sierra, Speer and Hornady are very good. If you have not yet bought any bullets, I recommend starting with flat base bullets, as all rifles seem to shoot them well and load workup is easy.

To me, the 173 and 175-gr bullets are a bit heavy, holdovers from the originals. I shoot them because my 7x57R is regulated for them. But if you want a bit more range and punch, the long boattail 150 and 154 bullets are super (BCs of 0.500+), like the Hornady SST and Nosler Accubond. Likewise, in the 160-gr, you have the very tough Speer Grand Slam and Hot Cor, and the Sierra Gameking (0.600+ BC ) in BTSP and BTHP ( tougher).

Use new load data from the powder companies, as many of the classic loads from the 1930s and 1950s are not a safe place to start, and bullets have changed.

----- postscript:
I normally suggest starting with some inexpensive ammo and when you find one that shoots well for the primary game, try to replicate it with your hand loads. But many of the 7x57 ammo is mild, for older 1895 Mausers.

Norma has some hotter ammo, and has a 150-gr with a sort of RN and a 156-gr Oryx RN cartridge, and they sell the bullet for reloading.

You might try RWS, and then try to replicate their mid-weight loads if they shoot well for you.

The discontinued Hornady 154-gr RN have been so accurate in my 7x64, 7x57R, and 7mm-08 that I was thrilled to buy 2 boxes for stash. But the Speer 160-gr in a sort of RN is a great bullet, and cheap. The Hornady 154-gr SPT flat base Interlock would be a do-all bullet for your hunting, and you may find it in their European line of ammunition, which they just don't sell here in the USA.

Reloading Data; 7x57 Mauser; Download pdf
www.norma.cc/en/Ammunition-Academy/Loading-Data/7x57-Mauser

Load Data: 7x57 Mauser Ammunition By Nosler Inc
Download the page as a PDF
www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/7x57mm-mauser

Last edited:
Before you buy any bullets I'd ascertain the twist rate of your 7x57.

As it is European I'd guess that it'll be suitable for 175 grain weight bullets but I'd check it out. As the .303 British Mk VII was a "knock off" of the Boer's 1896 7x57 Mauser 175 grain load at around 2,450 fps you'll be able to reverse engineer your 7x57 to re-duplicate that performance that inspired the .303 Mk VII loading.

Which I'd guess in NSW everybody knows how effective that load is.

And at 10-20 metres out to 150 metres that's all you really need. Low meat damage at short range on lighter game but a heavy hitter on the larger species. Good Luck!

Last edited:
The rate of twist in these older rifles should be about 1:8.7. Also, the lede ( throat ) will be long, for the traditional 173-gr RN bullets.

That is one reason I suggest starting with the flat base bullets and RN, like the Speer 150 and 160-gr, Hornady 154-gr, Norma 156-gr, and the S&B 139 and 173-gr, which have long shanks and recessed rounded noses - to get good alignment in the boat and seal the throat for consistent velocities. But don't worry about trying to seat the bullet out to the lands ( you can't). They will shoot well with a lot of lede.

Also, you may find your bore is .285 inches, instead of the more modern .284. Measure bullets wherever and whenever you can, as some of them in Europe will be .285.

one of the beauties of the 7x57 is that it is such a well balanced cartridge that pretty much any load shoots shoots reasonably well - perhaps not MOA but certainly minute of deer or pig, and at the other end it seems to have a terminal effect far bigger than it is supposed to.

Year before last I killed three large deer with handloaded PPU 140 grain Boat tail spoft point in my 7x57. My girl friend used the same bullet in her 7x57 to kill a large whitetail doe a couple of weeks back. Excellent performance on all counts. The deer practically fell in their shadows.~Muir

Thanks guys, I love this site, I can always find good information from knowledgeable people.
7x57 is not very common here for factory ammo, ( it might be in different areas but not near me!) and at the moment I can get highland/PPU 139g sp and 175g? Fmj and that's it. For $20 a box! The rifle its self i think is fairly new it looks barely used with a couple of blemishes on the barrel. One is a bit of bluing looks like it has chipped off ( best way to describe it )and the other On the mark if from the rear sight being removed and they have ballsed up plugging the threads leaving file marks and then re-bluing the damaged finish. Not so noticeable tho. On the zastava website the model 70 std looks identical in stock design and the same looking action std Mauser . I'm not sure how to get the year of manufacturing and when I take possession of the rifle I will have a good look then.
in regards to bullet selection, I will buy 100 highland 139g sp and run them through it till I have som brass the play with. Then the arduous task of finding projectiles will begin, I would like to try some Speer and Sierra's, but for now I will contemplate weight and design.
Thanks everyone for the info
Wes

Hi Oldmate,
You have got a lot of good info. there. I am also a fan of the 7X57, and have used one all over the world. If you should run out of ammo, it is surprisingly available all over. I have got a bit lazy with my reloading, and have now standardized on two loads. I use 150 gn Sierra Matchkings, for range work and plinking. They are cheap, can be purchased on line, as they are not soft nosed, and are wonderfully accurate. And for game I use 160 gn Partitions, on everything from Roe to Zebra. It is an expensive bullet, but I probably use only one box a year, and it never fails. I use IMR 4350 for both cartridges, and they hit within a few clicks of each other. Good luck with your rifle.
Marcher.

Thanks guys, I love this site, I can always find good information from knowledgeable people.
7x57 is not very common here for factory ammo, ( it might be in different areas but not near me!) and at the moment I can get highland/PPU 139g sp and 175g? Fmj and that's it. For $20 a box! The rifle its self i think is fairly new it looks barely used with a couple of blemishes on the barrel. One is a bit of bluing looks like it has chipped off ( best way to describe it )and the other On the mark if from the rear sight being removed and they have ballsed up plugging the threads leaving file marks and then re-bluing the damaged finish. Not so noticeable tho. On the zastava website the model 70 std looks identical in stock design and the same looking action std Mauser . I'm not sure how to get the year of manufacturing and when I take possession of the rifle I will have a good look then.
in regards to bullet selection, I will buy 100 highland 139g sp and run them through it till I have som brass the play with. Then the arduous task of finding projectiles will begin, I would like to try some Speer and Sierra's, but for now I will contemplate weight and design.
Wes

If that PPU shoots, and no reasons why it should n't, at $20 a box I would go back and by 2 or 300 rounds and be done with it. 2 or 300 rounds should equal 2 or 300 animals and thats a lot of shooting!

Wes
Wes. The PPU 139's act remarkably like the Sierra Game Kings. Here we can get the bullets for reloading at about $26/100 which is about $14 less than the Sierras of similar weight. Can you get the projectiles down your way?~Muir

I have not shot the PPU 7x57 ammo, but see if you can get a chronograph to check the velocity.
If it shoots really well, and you can buy the bulk bullets, too, you can do as Heym SR20 says and run back for more boxes of ammo, and try to load up your own to match it.

If it is like a traditional load, at about 2,650 fps, and you want a bit more speed, H-414 /W-760, or the 4350s will do it. With the slower powders, like N-160, 4831, RL-19 and Norma 204, you will have to load up close to a full case, not just for velocity, but for best combustion and groups ( nothing wrong with small groups at top velocity with safe pressures :lol:
)

This might be worth a read?

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7x57.html

I use factory 139gr Hornady SST's in my ten twist. S&B 140's also worked well and were cheap as chips. When I get through the Hornady SST's I'll try loading up the 139gr hornady softpoints and 162gr A-Max's for comparison. I used the 165g Geco's on roe with less meat damage than my 243. 7x57 does seem to drop things fast. Would not part with mine :D

Wes. The PPU 139's act remarkably like the Sierra Game Kings. Here we can get the bullets for reloading at about $26/100 which is about $14 less than the Sierras of similar weight. Can you get the projectiles down your way?~Muir
Muir, I didn't even know PPU sold projectiles but I will do some research. Hornady are the only projectile I can get a constant supply of, if I can get PPU in bulk that would solve some dramas. My local gun shops really suffer from poor suppliers, only 2 major distributors of imported products. The big gun shops get priority and the little ones get the left overs. We do have some bullet makers like woodleigh and a few others that make copper projectiles but the price is a killer.

wes

I know that you can't get this guy's stuff, but this site has PPU projectiles. You can get an idea what's available from them. I had 500 of the PPU 7mm 139 (140)'s and a buddy gave me another 1000+ when he gave my girl friend a 7x57. Anyhow, have a look. The 120 grain 6.5HP it the most accurate bullet from my 6.5x55.~Muir
Graf Sons - The Reloading Authority - Your Source for Shooting Supplies

actually Muir, I believe I can get stuff from these guys I just have to have an appropriate customs form filled out. Just not sure if it would be worth it , if I could find 2 or 3 people who wanted bulk projectiles as well it would definatly be worth it. If you have a look on that same site for ACP- Aussie copper projectiles , he's making a new type that's reversible solid RN one end and expanding the other which have the same POI.
Wes

I just looked on grafs website, ACP are on there and they have a 180g 308 subsonic specifically for 300 blackout that might interest you Muir
Wes

Back