7-08 Scout info please

roedeerred

has anyone experiance of this I have just been asked by a friend what factory ammo suits it best.I know nothing more except the guy wants help in finding a make/weight of round which works well.Rather than spend months and cash finding out he is asking for pionters from others.

Best advice I can give is PM George Joy he has a scout in 7-08, he loads for it now using 139 interbonds not sure if he found a suitable factory round you can only ask.
Rgds Pierred

Hi Roedeerred,
As Pierre said I have used a scout in 7-08 for a good few years, when I got it there was not a lot of ammo options readily available and I was pointed towards Federal Premium ammo Vital Shok (140 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip) which grouped under an inch without any problems.
As time went on I had a couple of questionable results with some shots where I would have expected clean kills, I then recovered a few of the bullets and found the core and jacket had parted company and the jacket broke up - after 2 of these finds I switched to home loads using interbonds which I am very happy with. Sorry I cant give you any more info on factory loads as I havent tried them or really looked to see whats out there.
RE - the federal ammo no problems with grouping/accuracy but in my opinion questionable terminal results,
Thanks George

has anyone experiance of this I have just been asked by a friend what factory ammo suits it best.I know nothing more except the guy wants help in finding a make/weight of round which works well.Rather than spend months and cash finding out he is asking for pionters from others.

I haven't got a Scout but a Remy 700 7mm-08, 22" stainless barrel, Basix trigger, H-S Precision stock and Ase Ultra Northstar NS-3S, so semi-customized.

The ammo it likes and dislikes is:

Factory ammo it likes:
Federal Fusion 140gr - accurate down to 1/4" @ 100yards
Federal Hot-Core 150gr - very capable of 1/2"
Remington 120gr PSP - accurate down to 1/4" @ 100yards
Remington 140gr Core-Lokt - capable of 1/2"

Ammo it hates:
Remington 140gr Ballistic tips - shotgun!!!

Home loads:
Hornady 120gr SP #2810 - 43.5g Reloder 15 - C.O.L. 2.800 - very accurate 1/4" @ 100yards
Hornady 140gr BTSP #2825 - 39g IMR 3031 - C.O.L. 2.805 - also very accurate and capable of 1/4"

Out of factory Fusion is the best and home loads I use 140gr mostly. Both these drop all deer to the shot, Muntjac, Roe, Fallow and Reds. All with minimal meat damage (except maybe the Muntjac, depends) which is important to me as I sell it.

As for Fox's it just bowls them over which rather leaves my .243 redundant - so I'm selling it!

As for the accuracy of the 7mm-08 maybe I'm just lucky and have created a really good rifle but the test groups are real and not just shot by me (I couldn't do that every day!) but friends too. I have tried other powders and bullets, not many but enough and to be honest it didn't take long to find these decent loads - but a good place to start for you.
Good luck!
The deer man

Back