Which 6.5x55 rifle ?

Olaf

Hello, I've just been granted a slot for a 6.5x55 on my fac. I was wondering what folks opinions are on a good rifle to go for in this cal. Ive shot Blazers in 6.5 before and found them to be quite nice but im not too keen on the whole 'cleaver' bolt and interchangeable barrel package and subsequently high price tag.
I trained as a cabinet maker before becoming a furniture designer, as such, I happen to have a bit of a liking for wood and am thus not that fond of plastic. Fear not, I appreciate that good tools need to be used and be practical in use, as such im not looking for a stupidly fussy bit of wood on the rifle that I buy either, just a good sound bit of timber.
The main things that im looking for in my choice of rifle are that its:

Not too heavy
Second hand
Wooden stock with cheek piece
Scandinavian or German made
Accurate

Id like to get something that will last as doing things properly always tends to be cheaper in the long run.

Kind regards, Olaf

Hi Olaf,

Congratulations on the 6.5x55 slot.

There isn't too much wood on the 6.5x55 I have at the moment, but the one I had when living in Denmark was a Kongsberg M595 (or M393, I'm not 100% sure).

It ticked the boxes for all your requirements.

Mine had a sporter barrel, wich kept the weight down. The wooden stock had a nice finish/grain and it had a very characteristic and functional cheek piece. Kongsberg is Norwegian, but I'm not sure if it's still produced in Norway. Shooting factory Lapua ammo with 160 grain Mega bullets, it was extremely accurate, consistently shooting 1 moa or less from a bench.

I've only been able to find a link showing one previously for sale in a Danish gun shop: http://www.huntershouse.dk/kat408-Rifler/side2360-Kongsberg-M.393.html

I've done a quick search, and the rifle looks like the "lakelander" brand, which is marketed here in the UK (sportsman gun centre). However, looking at the new price of the lakelanders, I'm not sure if the build quality is the same.

Enough of my ramblings about a gun you may have trouble finding in the UK. The reason I'm posting is because it really fits the bill if you want a high quality, good looking stalking rifle with a wooden stock.

Good luck,

Christian

There are some excellent Sako 75 or 85 models around, I have the 85 in 6.5 x 55 in wood and it is just the job, looks good and accurate.

Hi Olaf,

Congratulations on the 6.5x55 slot.

There isn't too much wood on the 6.5x55 I have at the moment, but the one I had when living in Denmark was a Kongsberg M595 (or M393, I'm not 100% sure).

It ticked the boxes for all your requirements.

Mine had a sporter barrel, wich kept the weight down. The wooden stock had a nice finish/grain and it had a very characteristic and functional cheek piece. Kongsberg is Norwegian, but I'm not sure if it's still produced in Norway. Shooting factory Lapua ammo with 160 grain Mega bullets, it was extremely accurate, consistently shooting 1 moa or less from a bench.

I've only been able to find a link showing one previously for sale in a Danish gun shop: http://www.huntershouse.dk/kat408-Rifler/side2360-Kongsberg-M.393.html

I've done a quick search, and the rifle looks like the "lakelander" brand, which is marketed here in the UK (sportsman gun centre). However, looking at the new price of the lakelanders, I'm not sure if the build quality is the same.

Enough of my ramblings about a gun you may have trouble finding in the UK. The reason I'm posting is because it really fits the bill if you want a high quality, good looking stalking rifle with a wooden stock.

Good luck,

Christian

Nice, the second hand one looks really nice. I'll have to keep on looking then. Thanks for the effort.

I have a new Sako 85 hunter in 6.5. Cant go wrong, light, accurate, nice stock I'm sure they'll be a 2nd hand one about. Or maybe a Steyr mannlincer.

Swedish Husqvarna m96, m98, and 1600 series rifles will suit your needs. Light, strong Mauser action, classic styling.

Hi, thanks for your oppinions on this. I've given it some thought now and decided on going for a Steyer Man Stuzen. I've been told that the older pre yr 2000 ones were better made ? Apparently the new ones have nasty plastic bits on them. I've posted a wanted add on the classifieds section. Any thoughts ?

Hi Olaf,

The Steyr Man Stutzen is a lovely little gun. My father has the lux version from years back, pre-2000. It's all steel/wood, no plastic, including the mag. Im not aware of any differences in build quality etc for post-2000, but I'm no Steyr expert.

What I do know, is that the rifle is short and light and handles really well. I think it's a great gun for woodland stalking.

I would consider three things before buying this model:

1) The Stutzen stock may theoretically be more prone to warping in really wet weather. My father has never had any problems (shooting in woodland) I hasten to add. However, if you're planning to take it on the hill, it may be worth considering.

2) I'm not sure how easy it is to mount a moderator, as the Stutzen has a thingy (probably not the correct technical name) at the end of the barrel, where the stock is attached. May be worth checking with a gunmaker if you don't find one with a mod installed - and you're planning to use a mod.

3) Finally, I think the Stutzen comes with fixed sling swivels, so you can't attach a bipod. If you want to shoot off a bipod, I'm not sure how well the stock will support installation of a quick detachable sling stud to hold a Harris type bipod. Probably worth checking with a gunmaker.

There may be other members who can confirm or reject the above points. In closing I have to stress that I thinks it's a great little shooter. Perfect for woodland/lowland stalking.

Good luck,

Christian

Last edited:
sorry i use a blaser 6.5x55 pro match it is the dogs thingies,stock never needs oiling !!!

I have a sauer 202 elegance and I can't ever see me parting ways with it, I love everything about it from handling to accuracy and looks. It is a rifle I hope will remain in my cabinet and eventually sons cabinet for many years,

Keith

There are some excellent Sako 75 or 85 models around, I have the 85 in 6.5 x 55 in wood and it is just the job, looks good and accurate.

Ditto, I have the Sako 85 Grey Wolf SS Laminate in 6.5x55 a great rifle which will hold it's value if you decide to sell it on.

I'm getting there

Hi, I've pretty much looked at all of the options now and I discarded any notion of a Manlicher last weekend after researching the gun options thoroughly. I believe that a Hyme is the best option about exept they are proving imposibily hard to find as are decent moddern Mauser rifles. I looked into the Lakelander and Konsberg and Varberger rifles and after detailed research found that they are very good guns but are all the virtually same guns made by the same factory just under different management names. However, the companies and factorys that made these are now all rather sadly closed as they went bankrupt, so no spare parts !Anyway, its now looking like a very lovely Sako 75 Delux is the happy way forwards unless I'm offered a Hyme or Mauser at a low price. I have an absolute gentelman of a gun dealer searching for a rifle for me too so it should be sorted soon. Regards, Olaf

Hi, I've pretty much looked at all of the options now and I discarded any notion of a Manlicher last weekend after researching the gun options thoroughly.

Hello Olaf. Can I ask why you decided against the Steyr Mannlicher? Is it just because you can't fit a bipod or a moderator? I'm thinking of buying one in 7mm08.

Back