ST Roe Review.

sako85

Well did anyone including any guides on here have any heads entered?

I myself had 3 heads, 2 golds and 1 silver, shot by myself. Sadly they got my name wrong on my biggest head, it was labelled as surname of Parsons! Oh well :confused:

There was also one silver head entered, of which i guided the english client onto.

The other big heads I had shot on my patches were by continentials who take the heads home to be measured.

Got a big wild Fallow and wild Red to come in the next review.

yes i had one even got a photo at the top of the page ( number 3 ) first head i have ever had measured so i was really chuffed

A of a very good friend was No.15 on the list, was the one of the first Roe he had ever shot and shot it for free so he was very happy...

Having seen the head it is one of the most magnificent i have ever seen was tall with long tines and almost perfect symmetry and of course very thick...

Alex

Yes, I put one in out of interest, not a recent one but it made Gold.
I did not realise it was going to be published for all to see, not too keen on that.

Big Heads

Sako

none of mine in there this year I am afraid-I stopped shooting the biguns myself as I cant afford to pay my own prices! :D lol.

On a serious note though we took 2 silver medal Roe with europian guests this summer that were not officially measured as they both did the off back abroad & I took a gold medal fallow from some of our contract cull land-which once again I did not bother having looked at as of yet.

Best wishes Lee

sako85 said:
Hi Eddy, yes saw your one :D Shot in 1989! Out of interest what made you have it measured ?

I have several like that lying around and in the shed/garage that I have saved over the years, not in such good condition some of them now though.
I used to cut them off and make walking sticks but this just happened to be one I had mounted and when asked to get one measured for a friend thought mine looked as good, so just out of interest took it in as well.
I don't normally attach a lot of importance to the trophy, if it is one that has been around a while then it is time to give one of the newcomers a go so I take it out.
In the early days, I could be sure if I left one, it would be there later, but with so many shooting Deer these days Trophies have to be shot when seen or somebody else will.
Trophies these days mean money whereas previously it just meant that a particular Deer was doing well and would soon be time for another to take over.

ST ROE REVIEW

I'm sorry SAKO 85 about the muddle over names. All I say is that 'Sam Parsons' was listed by RP in his return of heads measured and I had no reason to disbelieve him. I'll have a quiet word!

Eddy, if you remember, I did ask you when I measured the head at Bovington if you were happy with it being published. I have an affirmative noted in my records, but I apologise if you didn't want it so. I'll remember for next time,

Tony

I have to say I really look forward to the annual reviews of roe and other species and it's nice to be able to relate to some of the names now you've declared your hands.

My main interest is seeing how the roe are spreading. Until 2004 Gloucester, Oxford and Warwick hardly got a mention but in the latest list they feature quite well, particularly Gloucester and now Hereford is starting to appear now and then. Still waiting for the 1st Welsh Gold though.

You can still see some distinct regional characteristics in some of the heads although this is less obvious in newly colonised areas, especially where the deer had a helping hand.

One deer that still has me intrigued is the Silver medal sika stag reported from South Glamorgan two years ago simply because there are no wild sika in Wales as far as I know, it's too far to swim from Lundy and there are none in Margam Park, the obvious source for an escapee.

A bit naive to think that the results wouldn't be published; they've been doing it for years after all...

as916 said:
A bit naive to think that the results wouldn't be published; they've been doing it for years after all...

Yes, that's me, naive ;)

But as said previously, I have never been involved in the Trophy scene and was not aware that all heads measured by the various measurers were collated and published in that way :confused:
Never gave it much thought, but obvious really had I given it any thought.
Not that it matters now, but in my earlier years I would not have liked to have built up a reputation as a Trophy hunter as opposed to a Deer Manager:)

Not wanting to be known as a Trophy Hunter, but shooting trophies anyway seems to be a bit of a contradiction doesn't it?

as916 said:
Not wanting to be known as a Trophy Hunter, but shooting trophies anyway seems to be a bit of a contradiction doesn't it?

Why so arguementative??

Shooting a trophy buck may still be part of a DMP, not becasue its a trophy but becasue there are too many maybe....having it as a trophy may just be a nice reminded of a great stalk.

sorry, not meaning to be argumentative, and I didn't say there was anything wrong with shooting a trophy buck, I just thought that it seemed to me that double standards were being applied - wanting to keep it a secret in an attempt to appear to be in it "for the right reasons"...

"I don't normally attach a lot of importance to the trophy, if it is one that has been around a while then it is time to give one of the newcomers a go so I take it out.
In the early days, I could be sure if I left one, it would be there later, but with so many shooting Deer these days Trophies have to be shot when seen or somebody else will.
Trophies these days mean money whereas previously it just meant that a particular Deer was doing well and would soon be time for another to take over."
as916,
The above is part of my earlier post on my take on Trophies.
I thought, maybe wrongly, that if I had lots of trophies published it would give the boss the impression that I was taking out all the good stock as he would not know the reason they were taken,
I certainly did not wish to create an indication of double standards.
Since retiring from Deer Management I have met people that pay lots of money and travel all over the country just to shoot Trophy animals.
They enjoy the stalking and associated experiences of stalking but will admit they are not Deer Managers because that is all they do.
PM me if you have any further questions as I am sure most of the other board users understand what I am trying to say, perhaps not very eloquently.

Ok, I think I understand where you’re at.

Years ago you would have left a good buck for a few seasons before eventually taking it out to give younger bucks a chance to take over the patch; those you did take out you kept quiet about, because the landowner wouldn’t have understood. Now you’d shoot any good one on the ground you have now for fear that a neighbour will take it instead if you don’t?

1989 was a long time ago; I don’t expect anyone will make the link..

well you did say;

"In the early days, I could be sure if I left one, it would be there later, but with so many shooting Deer these days Trophies have to be shot when seen or somebody else will".

so to me that means you shoot them before they stray onto someone else's permission?

Only If you are a 'Trophy Hunter' as opposed to a Deer Manager. :)
Which I am not, nor ever have been nor intend to be in the future.

Back