Jobs on Islay

Geordie_3

Hi all
I'm after a bit of information on the job market on Islay. I'm due out of the RAF in about a years time and the wife has fallen for a house on Islay. I'm an aircraft avionics tech, and by the time I'll be out I'll be a qulified domestic electrician. I can turn my hand to almost anything, I just want to know if I'll be able to get a job if we did move up there.

Any ideas or advice would help.

Regards
Craig

Maybe think about getting onto the Oil Rigs out of Aberdeen, quite a few of the guys live out on the western isles. One of my Collegues is ex RAF avionics. Generally 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off in the UK.

Hi all
I'm after a bit of information on the job market on Islay. I'm due out of the RAF in about a years time and the wife has fallen for a house on Islay. I'm an aircraft avionics tech, and by the time I'll be out I'll be a qulified domestic electrician. I can turn my hand to almost anything, I just want to know if I'll be able to get a job if we did move up there.

Any ideas or advice would help.

Regards
Craig

No you'll not get a job on . The locals can't get jobs there or housing ,most islanders can and do turn there hand to anything, it's only the incomers that can't ,you'll find the only thing the incomers are good at is pushing the price of housing through the roof, and only living in there property for a fortnight a year .

Get a job as a spark learn about domestic electrical work in civvies street .

Throughly helpful for a chap on the look out for a new future. 'Incomers' pushing up property prices isn't experienced in Islay alone.;)

No you'll not get a job on . The locals can't get jobs there or housing ,most islanders can and do turn there hand to anything, it's only the incomers that can't ,you'll find the only thing the incomers are good at is pushing the price of housing through the roof, and only living in there property for a fortnight a year .

Get a job as a spark learn about domestic electrical work in civvies street .

Thanks for your help there, I wasn't aware that it was a local island for local people.

I thought it might have been obvious from my earlier post that I am intending to live AND work there with my family. After 21 years of having to turning my hand to anything that is put infront of me and in most cases to do it to avaition standards. My trade is avionics but that is far from the only thing thatI have to offer.

Thanks for your input though. ;)

Not a lot of job oppertunities on the islands,most young islanders have to leave to get work.
I have worked on a few of the western islands and islanders can be unwelcoming to incomers, remember its not just you but your family you have to think about, do a bit more research before taking the plunge.

I know we need to do a lot more research, this thread on here is part of that research.

We are wanting to put down roots after years of moving from pillar to post and are willing to work hard to intergrate with the community that we settle in. I know from my experience over the years that we'll never "belong the village" as my grandma would say, but I know that we have a lot to offer any community that we end up settling in.

Most of the advice I'm getting is helpful, but we need to look harder at things before we commit to anything.

I would go and rent for a few months during the summer holidays or try a winter first etc.

The North West of Scotland is not a place of great employment or enterprise. Lovely to visit but not to stay unless you like crofting. My neighbour is from Islay and i live in south glasgow, that speaks volumes IMHO.

I don't think that it's going to be an easy option, if it's practical at all. It's seeming rather disheartening the more I look into it the less practical it's looking.

I'm from Stirling originally but I lived and worked on an Island close to Islay for a few years though this was in construction and mainly on the mainland anywere from Campbelltown to Oban as required( a lot of travel) turning to work on fishfarms and boats when things were slack(minimum wage). It was hard going, though the community did welcome the children as it helps the headcount and so maintain the demand for schools,ferries etc.
As has been said before, its hard there for anyone and as anywere else work is limited and competition in the labour market not always welcomed. Don't wish to sound off putting its just the facts. ATB

I know that we have a lot to give to the community that we settle in, and we're not afraid of hard work. I think we could really be an asset if we can get in the door.

Send your cv to Oban Electric and ask about work on the island. They usually have their fingers on the pulse over there. However island life is something you are born to accept. Many try it and fail. the culture shock is a killer. 90% guarentee you will work away. will your wife appriciate being left when the heart of the islanders will ignore you. Takes three generations to intigrate.
Jim

Sorry that most of the replys are negative, but thats just how it is,apart from the work aspect there is the cost of living to consider,as everything needs to come by ferry the cost is passed on to the customer in the shops, just came back
from one of the islands the other week diesel £1.53 per litre

just came back from one of the islands the other week diesel £1.53 per litre

Things must have changed.

On which Island are they using taxed diesel now? :rolleyes:

I bet the tankfull prior to yours was also sold to an incomer.

I was told ;) that (apparently) some people on some Islands had (allegedly) been running their vehicles on the red stuff for generations?

Probably just a rumour.....

Last edited:
I was in/on Islay for a tour on the motorbike, I got chatting to some people in the Social Club in Port Ellen. There was a pleasant fellow I was speaking to, and when he left, I asked the bar maid - "Is he from Islay?", she said "No, he moved here from Oban 30 years ago"!!

The place only has a population of 2-3000, so I suppose it would be easy for the people already living there to know who you are, but a bit harder the other way round.

I know that it'll take effort and time to "intergrate" but also know that we'll never be accepted as locals, that doesn't mean that we don't have a lot to offer to the community.

I don't want to work away as that would make living there pointless. I've had enough of that over the years. We want to settle down and put down roots at last.

Thanks for the tip about Oban Electric.

I dont buy into the "incomers aren't welcome" train of thought.
I have several good friends who are more part of the community now as so called incomers than half the bloody local population!

on the whole nice useful people are welcomed.
******s aren't...but then that is not just islands!

one thing I would say if you are dead set on it, be prepared to make a living at whatever you can.
all my friends who successfully integrated had 10 jobs!
one notable success has B&B, local Bracken herbicide representative, fishing guide, removal man, gardener, delivery and taxi driver as his hats

Some of the replies on here are pretty scathing to say the least :lol:

Its not nearly as bad as its made out to be. If your looking for a job then keep a look out on Caledonian MacBraynes, Highlands and Islands airports, the distilleries and ACHA's website. I think McLeods construction may also have a lot of community housing maintenance contracts over there so possibly a CV to them could bring about some work.

To get going you could probably pick up the likes of farm work, trawlers, creels, driving etc

If you do go for it then best of luck to you :)

Last edited:
Things must have changed.

On which Island are they using taxed diesel now? :rolleyes:

I bet the tankfull prior to yours was also sold to an incomer.

I was told ;) that (apparently) some people on some Islands had (allegedly) been running their vehicles on the red stuff for generations?

Probably just a rumour.....

Even the islands are catching up with the 21st century, saw the police with a speed gun last time, probably half an hour between vehicles on a busy day:rofl:

+1 for integration. I moved onto Skye and was told by the residents of 'little England' that I'd never do well or make friends as the locals were hostile to incommers. Crap with a capital C. By working at what ever my neighbours were working at, getting covered in dip and s**t and letting them have an occasional laugh at my expense I found myself enjoying island life at its best. Work found me and there was no mention of my past address.
If you have something to offer, laugh with and never at people, and most importantly can stand your round you will find island life every bit as great as you and your wife could ever hope for. My only real bit of advice is to befriend the locals rather than joining the ranks of the jaded wannabees.
Oh.... and Tobe's on a Friday night when the boats are in is the second greatest place on earth after the Bakur bar in Uig before the fishing died .

Back