My hunting camp

tacklerat

I'm fortunate that I live in a place where I can get to my hunting areas within a few hours drive. I usually set up my camp and spend a few days in the area on private land that I have access to. There are some good Fallow deer there as well as wild pigs and foxes, so the choice is pretty good. I'm not all that interested in the ultimate trophy head, but would rather hunt for meat as far as the deer are concerned. The pigs I hunt to cull them because they are a pest. Likewise the foxes, but I'm likely to take some skins from them. I'm working on getting enough to make may Grand kids a little fur matt each. None of these animals are native to Australia, although there is a closed season on the deer. There's also some fishing to be had in the nearby streams. Here's one of the camps.
Cheers,
JDP1010791.JPG

Hi Tacklerat, I spent 6 months working on a farm near Forbes in my youth - maybe further south than you? Other than a Carp I didn't find much to fish for - what species are you fishing for? I assume it's to hot for trout.

Looks like an ideal place and way to "get away from it ill" and do what you obviously love doing.
If the truth be known I am willing to bet that the majority of us over here in the UK are quite envious of you!

Looks like an ideal place and way to "get away from it ill" and do what you obviously love doing.
If the truth be known I am willing to bet that the majority of us over here in the UK are quite envious of you!

Hey its not just in the UK that are envious, i live in Newcastle N.S.W and I'm very envious!!! DSC02942.JPGthis is my old camp area at my family's property, i now haveDSCN0372.JPG I build a shed out of scraps i collected over a period of time, this is central west NSW.

Wes

I miss getting out in the bush. Had some great times under the stars with the roo's about me and other things. Used to live in Ardlethan as a little boy and would love to get back again for some camping.
Just had a cover made for my trailer so I can camp up at my new ground in Scotland later in April. A few more bit's to do and make to have a easy camp. I'll post pics later.

Another Tarp type camp . Fallow buck head and salted cape make for a happy camp for me after three 10 hour days on shanks looking for one.

The 'pig" as Bob calls it was dropped off there some years previously as the campsite is a good one with the creek just behind.
The pig opens so as to grill,roast,boil etc with the wood fed in from the end.

fall%20bobs%20camp_zpsfu6jva7v.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Sounds like fun! Do you get away often? Have I misunderstood you, or don't you take the meat from the pigs?
I like to get away reasonable often, but prefer the cooler months. It's a bit too hot here in summer to hang a carcase for very long. Not too many people take the pigs to eat, they often carry worms and some other undesirables. If you get a young one and pen it, you can grain feed it and it will be OK but our feral pigs eat all sorts of rubbish.

Hi Boogie, mostly native fish like Murray Cod and Yellow belly, but there are some Redfin there as well. Swag? It's there somewhere, but these days I go for a little more comfort. Spent many years living out of a swag mate.

Ahhh I was wondering if would inspire any memories.Thats my 1976 TS250 and I'm the second owner and have had it since I was 13 or 14 , I'm 32 now. it is the worlds best bike for my needs, I cruise about with the mrs and 2 kids all squashed, I use it for chasing pigs. When I got it it had 3000ks on the clock. The only problem I've had is the main seals got a bit old and stiff and needed replacing, and 2 carburettor overhauls, it sits in the shed and gets topped up with old fuel and goes 3rd kick every time. My mate has a RMX 250 and he just shakes his head how reliable and easy to ride it is.
Can you tell I love my old zuke?
wes

That roof tent on the Landy ...
Can you get them for any estate type / 4x4 ??
Say a shogun sport ?

The trailer worked pretty well. A few minor improvements to make and it'll do fine for me. Had to use my headlight the whole time as the pin on the fuel lamp was bent so it wouldn't work. Had spare mantles but no other spares.
It'll be back in use in May with luck.View attachment 69479 DSCF3411.jpg

Back