Deer iniative conference

Chris

I looked at going to this as I attended the original one a few years ago in Harrogate (I think). The agenda contains a number of items that are of interest, but at £170 for the conference, plus £35 for the dinner, plus £140 accomodation for two nights, plus getting there and back, I figured I could spend the £400+ better elsewhere.

I know someone who is going, so hopefully I'll be able to see a copy of the material afterwards.

willie_gunn

Chris

I looked at going to this as I attended the original one a few years ago in Harrogate (I think). The agenda contains a number of items that are of interest, but at £170 for the conference, plus £35 for the dinner, plus £140 accomodation for two nights, plus getting there and back, I figured I could spend the £400+ better elsewhere.

I know someone who is going, so hopefully I'll be able to see a copy of the material afterwards.

willie_gunn

agree.gif
Couldn't agree more Dom, £400 = Loads of good stuff, I will be giving it a miss too!

Chris

I also thought about going as it isn't too far away, but then saw the cost! Given that the DI is a partnership made up of 21 organisations, seven of which are paid for by the taxpayer and a few others that I pay a membership fee to - and bear in mind it is also a 'charity' - I don't see why they need to rip us off to attend. It would be interesting to know where their charitable expenditure actually goes? I would have thought an open conference would have been the sort of thing they would put on for free or at subsidised cost. From their website : "The Deer Initiative receives financial support from the partnership, the principal sponsors being the Forestry Commission, Defra and Natural England." Hang on a minute, don't we all pay for them?

A few years ago I paid £25 to go to a DI gig at the Royal Welsh Showground at Builth. Interesting enough but not exactly overrun with delegates - other than folk from the partner organisations, who I guess were paid to be there!

If I were of a cynical mind I might think that the DI really doesn't want to engage with the wider deer management world - much better to keep it all nice and cosy within the existing partnership.

If I were of a cynical mind I might think that the DI really doesn't want to engage with the wider deer management world - much better to keep it all nice and cosy within the existing partnership.

Well you've just joined us old cynics then. ;)

Is this same DI who say recreational stalkers dont cut the mustard...so too speak? Is Peter Watson still part of it and is this the same bunch who want land owners to give them (DI) the stalking rights because the rest of the hard working chaps arent doing the job? Or have I got the wrong bunch?

Jager,

I know Peter very well and if you like l can send you his email address at the DI so that you can ask him directly and resolve what is bothering you.

I attended today (with the help of one of the suppliers) and saw Peter, yes he is still part of the DI. Lastly l'm a recreational stalker and even l know what you have said is not true. The DI are in place - with the advice of the supporting organisations to support the stalker whether recreational or proffessional. You will find in most cases if requested to survey and attend a deer 'hotspot' (on the behalf of the authorities or wildlife organisations) the DI will do their level best to supply you with the nessisary equipment i.e. seats etc. to allow you to do your job more effectively. I have not heard of another instance yet where they have done any different.

Tom

I knew a guy that bought a small farm in Devon, he told me he had Deer on his land and that I could come down any time I wanted to shoot a few.
I didn't want to be pushy or over enthusiastic so waited six months for him to settle in.
By the time I got in touch intending to go down, a member of DI had visited him within days of him moving in,and frightened him sh***s by emphasising his legal obligation to protect some anciant woodland he had on his land and erected two high seats and started culling his Fallow for him to protect his trees, all with my mates permission of course because he didn't realise what an asset he had with the Deer.
When I got in touch, I was told that as the other guy was doing a good job for him at no expense to him and gave him a carcass now and again,he didn't really like to ask me down as it might upset him!!!

"The DI have no members - no stalkers that work for them.."

Peter Watson is a Stalker and Director of DI for one!!

The guy I mentioned is a DI member that stalks and has friends that stalk, he is known in the area and there is nothing I can do about it as he is helping!!
The guy that bought the farm was a member of my Pheasant shoot that I gave the odd Deer carcas to ocasionally, so he wasn't exactly beholden to me and now isn't bothered because this guy, or the friend he sends up now and again to sit in the high seats, gives him a carcas now and again so he is happy.

Last edited:
So just because Peter is the nominated Director of the DI - does that mean he shouldn't stalk?

Course it doesn’t- and it would be small minded of us to think any different, and i'm sure that he will not have knocked doors and said 'hi i'm the DI Director any chance of some stalking'

I would like you to find a paid member of the DI that is paid to stalk or given access to land to work for the DI. Doesn't happen. If you read the core ethos statements from the DI website, it is made up of supporting organisations, that’s authority’s giving man-power and funds for their works and reports to the government and supporting agencies.

If this bloke has walked onto that farm and put the ***** up the owner explaining in all honesty what could actually happen - but has used his DI credentials to increase his own validity it is quite underhanded. But would you not try the same? A lot would given the lack of land for younger guys/new stalking people....

I agree in principle what he has probably done is in all probability morally wrong - and it is against what the DI stands for.

Tom

Back