use of deer park for dsc2

norma 308

I assume the use of a deer park will only facilitate the gralloch and carcass inspection side of things ?
does said park necessarily need to have larder facilities on site ?
asking as we've free access to a park with fallow and wish to get some evidence put together in our
portfolio's when culling starts .
Norma

Park deer are fine to stalk as long as you fulfil requirements as detailed in the DMQ AW guide:
Give me a call if you need any help with anything.
Within a deer park the deer must be able to behave normally for the sex, species and time of year. They must also be able to freely move around the park and thus require a complete re stalk if they move out of range or sight or are frightened and escape the original stalk.

MS

Hi Norma

When I did my L2 (about 12 years ago) the assessor/examiner refused to accept one of my stalks as it was done within a park. Two were wild and one park. It was then stated in the rules that a maximum of one park stalk was permited. I argued my case but he resufed to accept it. Absolutely put me off any more DMQs to be honest. BUT that said it was just my experience and thing must have changed by now. I argued that in fact it should be mandatory for one to be park done as back then I learnt more in that single day, through gralloching twenty odd deer in a single day, far more than I had done in the previous two years wild stalking, saw more disease, rutting wounds etc.

ATB

Paul

I did mine using the BDS scheme which was carried out at Wadhurst Park, dont fall into the trap that says stalking in a park is easy, it was really challenging!

I did mine using the BDS scheme which was carried out at Wadhurst Park, dont fall into the trap that says stalking in a park is easy, it was really challenging!

I agree, I did mine with Jelen, some of the qualifying stalking that I did was outside of the deer park anyway.

As MS has already pointed out to be valid for DSC2 the deer need to be free to exhibit normal wild behaviour, a lot of people who have never experienced this sort of stalking often incorrectly confuse it with culling farmed deer.

atb Tim

My mate has been managing the park for 25 yrs as already said not so easy esp when the deer know the crack , fantastic way to learn to identify beasts and gralloch

I would talk with your DSC 2 Assessment centre and your witness who you are working with. Bear in mind finding deer and approaching deer is only a small part of an individual cull record and it is (or was) perfectly acceptable for elements of each cull record to be an amalgamation of several stalks.

I too did mine with BDS at wadhurst, not as easy as it sounds, but a great way of doing it. A good chance to shoot something unusual as well.

I agree, I did mine with Jelen, some of the qualifying stalking that I did was outside of the deer park anyway.

As MS has already pointed out to be valid for DSC2 the deer need to be free to exhibit normal wild behaviour, a lot of people who have never experienced this sort of stalking often incorrectly confuse it with culling farmed deer.

atb Tim

+1 jelen
Bryn

Fact of the matter is the fence. They can never escape as long as you keep working them. I think you can cover many PC'S doing it this way but it does defeat one principle of stalking as you will always come home with the bacon so you speak. Down to an individual if they wish to go down this route.

Fact of the matter is the fence. They can never escape as long as you keep working them. I think you can cover many PC'S doing it this way but it does defeat one principle of stalking as you will always come home with the bacon so you speak. Down to an individual if they wish to go down this route.

It doesn't work like that, I think that you must be confusing park deer with farmed deer.

You could in theory spend all day chasing the deer and never getting close enough for a shot but I expect that the AW would never be able to sign off the PC approach to deer for that.

we have one or two permissions but difficult to walk stalk them and find safe back stops usual method is high seat .we will probably end up paying and a weekend package or several days on does or hinds would be the way to go for us .
thanks for the responses .
cheers Norma

Last edited:
we have one or two permissions but difficult to walk stalk them and find safe back stops usual method is high seat .we will probably end up paying and a weekend package or several days on does or hinds would be the way to go for us .
thanks for the responses .
cheers Norma

Might be cheaper if you can shoot 3 deer from highseats and do all the gralloching etc on your own permission, and then go and do 3 stalks in the park to satisfy elements 1.5 of all 3 ICR's.
Come and shoot some from seats with me if you like. My offer of last year still stands!;)
I think there's at least 7 AW's on the group now you can choose from!
The deer you stalk do not even need to be in season, just as long as you stalk to a position where a safe and effective shot could be taken. You don't even have to carry a rifle.
MS

Last edited:
It doesn't work like that, I think that you must be confusing park deer with farmed deer.

You could in theory spend all day chasing the deer and never getting close enough for a shot but I expect that the AW would never be able to sign off the PC approach to deer for that.

Nope been and culled many deer parks. I know how hard it can be but still at the end of the day a fence is there to stop them escaping. Even the largest parks will offer a higher than wild deer success rate. It does offer some of the PC'S without question.

Nope been and culled many deer parks. I know how hard it can be but still at the end of the day a fence is there to stop them escaping. Even the largest parks will offer a higher than wild deer success rate. It does offer some of the PC'S without question.

Of course it offers a higher success rate than free roaming wild deer, you know that there are deer somewhere on the ground when you set out on your stalk, unlike the armed ramble that some unlucky people end up paying for. But you still have to locate the deer to fulfil the PC

Last edited:
The deer you stalk do not even need to be in season, just as long as you stalk to a position where a safe and effective shot could be taken. You don't even have to carry a rifle.

So does that mean that you could complete the 'stalk' element in Richmond Park?

I was asked very recently about taking a candidate for Level 2 in a park.

I am sure that DMQ are well aware of what constitutes a good deer park, in other words an area that is large enough for the deer to act in a normal manner and have plenty of places to escape form the stalker. I have advised the person to contact DMQ to see if they are happy for a Level 2 to be carried out on the park in question.

On a personal note I do not agree with passing Level 2 on a park. I know many may disagree, but that's my opinion and I stick by it. Again park culling, which I have done, can be difficult. But at the end of the day the deer have limited places to run to, and many parks have only limited areas with back stops, many have numerous high seats to undertake culling by teams of guns with the deer not being stalked. This all makes it rather false in my opinion.

Also from an extraction point of view, its easy. Try putting this alongside the extraction 3 miles up a Scottish mountain at 3pm in the pouring rain of a large Red Stag. There is a world of difference. But if the powers that be think culling 3 deer in a few hours on a fenced area is right, so be it.

I was asked very recently about taking a candidate for Level 2 in a park.

I am sure that DMQ are well aware of what constitutes a good deer park, in other words an area that is large enough for the deer to act in a normal manner and have plenty of places to escape form the stalker. I have advised the person to contact DMQ to see if they are happy for a Level 2 to be carried out on the park in question.

On a personal note I do not agree with passing Level 2 on a park. I know many may disagree, but that's my opinion and I stick by it. Again park culling, which I have done, can be difficult. But at the end of the day the deer have limited places to run to, and many parks have only limited areas with back stops, many have numerous high seats to undertake culling by teams of guns with the deer not being stalked. This all makes it rather false in my opinion.

Also from an extraction point of view, its easy. Try putting this alongside the extraction 3 miles up a Scottish mountain at 3pm in the pouring rain of a large Red Stag. There is a world of difference. But if the powers that be think culling 3 deer in a few hours on a fenced area is right, so be it.

So where do you stand on artificial feeding of wild deer, salt licks, buttalo calls, thermal imagers etc., surely these are all just as false as deer parks?

Back