243 Ammunition for Browning X bolt

Hawksthorn

I'm looking for a single load that will legally cope with Small deer and foxes, has anyone out there using an x-bolt in 243 found a Brand and weight which ticks all the boxes

hawksthorn,I use 100g soft point federals with my x bolt the blue box & they work well for me,
atb Andy

As PKL say the Federal 85 gr BTHP is a very good round. But it does a lot of damage to the animal/deer you shoot ok for Charlie. I think the x bolt has a 1 in 10 twist so 85 should work great. I shoot the 85 gr in my Ruger 1 in 9 twist rifle and get on well with them. I'll be trying the federal 100 gr soft point this weekend. I'll let you know how i get on with them. They are about half the price of 85 gr and easy to get hold of too, un like the 85 gr.

norma 100grn soft point ,expensive but good ,exellent results with sst hornday superperformace but a bit too harsh on deer.d

I have a browning a bolt and it loves factory remington 80 grain, it almost clover leafs a 3shot group at 100yards. But there all different, so you need to do some testing.

I use RWS 100g soft point (Its called T mantle i think) in my X bolt .243, never tried anything else. On the paper they are very accurate. I've had a few Does with it this winter and all have dropped on the spot bar one which went 20 yards and that was still a high heart/lung shot. They leave a nice clean hole on the exit and do very little damage to the meat. Really happy with the set up on the hole.

Back