Hero or Coward

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know this is an unusual question but in the times of ISIS and the like of a heighten state of security i think its a valid question.

i know this is a very unlikely event and terrorist are not carrying AK's round every corner.

what i would like to know is:-

what would happen legally to you if said terrorist was walking down the road shooting people,you where in the position to shoot him(you are at the corner shop with your .270 in the car), should you hide/run or take the shot.(there is no doubt that the person you would be aiming at is a terrorist like the situation in Tunis)

how would you make your self know to the police so you don't get shot or how to lend your assistance with out getting in the way.

The reason i ask is its probably not a good idea to ring firearms up asking question like this and this is the most level headed place i can pose the question.

Would it be the right thing to do?, in the total absence of immediate "Official help", Yes, but I wouldn't be expecting to further my stalking career much beyond the dust settling, but hey peoples lives are being lost, as to "Coward" not really the right description for me, the fight or flight reaction is different in everyone, your own life can mean a great deal, "Hero" again the wrong description in my mind, just the right thing to do in your imagined incident.

Recently a police firearms chap was finally exonerated from a 10 yearlong case after he'd shot someone during an interception of an armed gang.

ten years before that was cleared up so don't expect less....
whether or not you were doing 'the right thing'

Would it be the right thing to do?, in the total absence of immediate "Official help", Yes, but I wouldn't be expecting to further my stalking career much beyond the dust settling, but hey peoples lives are being lost, as to "Coward" not really the right description for me, the fight or flight reaction is different in everyone, your own life can mean a great deal, "Hero" again the wrong description in my mind, just the right thing to do in your imagined incident.

+1, it would all depend on the situation you are in there and then, would you shoot to wound or shoot to kill.

Happily a very unlikely situation but...
if you had rifle and ammunition to hand and
If a mass shooting was taking place
Why would you not shoot to save lives? (Is your "future stalking career" really more important than saving someone's life?)

Afterwards
"What would you prefer me to have done, your honour?"
"Hunter saves dozens!" (Daily Bilge)
"We know where you live" (IS)

If armed police were present the above would presumably not be necessary and your intervention would be counter-productive.

NUmerous things in law to cover this noteably Sec 3 of the Criminal law Act, Comon law and Article 2 of the European Court Human Rights (you can look them up to understand them better) and I think in the circumstanes outlined by the OP you would be covered, I would suggest holding onto you right to "not say anything" and wait for some legal advice just to make sure you articulate why you acted in the manner you did to save phrasing something wrong and getting in unnecessary trouble.

The only thing that would concern me would be getting shot by the police or tackled by another member of public who mistook me for a terrorist etc.

Fine with a a 270. Sticky ground if a 243.

My advice is don’t be the one to realise your imagined scenario as you’ve brought premeditation into the frame.

I find it interesting that you appear to acknowledge the unhelpful consequences of asking the Home Office for guidance in such a situation but consider floating the same question on an open forum to be without risk.

My view is that only in the heat of such a scenario will the individual know what he/she is going to do.

K

My advice is don’t be the one to realise your imagined scenario as you’ve brought premeditation into the frame.

I find it interesting that you appear to acknowledge the unhelpful consequences of asking the Home Office for guidance in such a situation but consider floating the same question on an open forum to be without risk.

My view is that only in the heat of such a scenario will the individual know what he/she is going to do.

K

Nicely put Sir.

I wouldnt see this being an issue. You i this situation would be excersicing your inherant right to self defence. Shooting to wound wodnt realy be an option. Shooting centre of the visible masd would be the only safe choice.

shooting to wound ? IF I was in the situation described and I had made the decision to get involved after weighing the situation up then to be honest shooting to wound would be the last thing on my mind !

I've never done it thank goodness but to actually shoot another person is one hell of a line to cross for the first time I would imagine and the effects would bother you for some time after I'd guess?

a really tough thing to decide in advance if not impossible?

as for the police ? I would say that your best course of action would be to lay your firearm down and do EXACTLY as they are shouting ? they are trained to deal with threats so try not to look like one?

Shooting to wound isnt an option because it is pretty much impossible to do. This is something that is created by bad TV where all to often we see people having nice clean gun shot wounds. Bullets make a mess no matter where they hit someone. If this situation ever transpired aim for the largest part of the bad guy and ensure you have as safe a backdrop as possible. Remember the saying it is better to be tried by 12 than carried by six.

If this was classed as an act of war and you shot him with expanding ammunition would you be breaking the Geneva Convention therefore committing a "War Crime".Is .17 HMR man enough for the job in hand.And ISIS insurgent at 704 metres is this OK or should you stalk in closer.

Fine with a a 270. Sticky ground if a 243.

K
.270 .243 half brick shovel or anything to hand as long as it stops him

I'm afraid that some shooters have been confusing Bruce Willis films with documentaries, and John Wayne didn't really shoot the guns out of hand's of the bad guys without causing injuring. :confused:

Thankfully we don't get many terrorists coming down our quiet cul de sac so the thought of reaching for the rifles in a hurry has never crossed my mind. The worst that I could possibly think of is Dai Davies or Ding Ding Jenkins (the retired boxer with the cauliflower arse) accidently taking a wrong turn and stumbling into our small street and causing mayhem on a Saturday night when the club in the village closes and they are too confused to find their way out again.
There again we could always have a rabid dog, or a frustrated bull from semen world stumble upon us by accident, or even an escaped tiger from the circus which is presently camped just down the road. Even then I think that I would resist the urge to dash to the gun cabinet, that is unless the tiger started pulling the bean poles down or stepping on my few miserable carrots in my garden, then he could look out because I would send the Mrs out. :scared:

is it covered by AOLQ and do I need to ring the FEO to clear the area for my closed ticket whats HO guidance on min cal

If this was classed as an act of war and you shot him with expanding ammunition would you be breaking the Geneva Convention therefore committing a "War Crime".Is .17 HMR man enough for the job in hand.And ISIS insurgent at 704 metres is this OK or should you stalk in closer.

Only applies against a uniformed army.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back