Any one have a 270 in the south west

Tomm

Hi all. Basically I am looking to buy a 270. Iv been a little put off by the people saying it has bad recoil. I'd like to have a few shots with one before I make my mind up. I'm happy to buy a box of ammo or whatever to say thankyou. Thanks Tomm

give me a bell tom i will give you a number of someone who had one for sale Mcmillan stock stainless barrel he may still have it if so i am sure he would let you have a go on it

Hi all. Basically I am looking to buy a 270. Iv been a little put off by the people saying it has bad recoil. I'd like to have a few shots with one before I make my mind up. I'm happy to buy a box of ammo or whatever to say thankyou. Thanks Tomm
Fitted with a mod the recoil's not to bad, shot one whilst zeroing once with no mod fitted and felt it in my shoulder the next day :(

Tom
I have shot Capreolus' .270 - its a pussycat really, instead of a thump, its a gentle push. Could be that the ammo he was putting in it was hand loaded 130gr softpoints and slow burn or something but it wasn't bad at all. Try one if you can - see for yourself ;)
Hope this helps
​Andrew

​PS. It had no mod ;)

Last edited:
Tomm,

I can only urge you to take the 'bad recoil' statement with a pinch of salt. I think it stems from days gone by when moderators were new fangled things. While the 270 does have a bit of a bark unmoderated, it is still an excellent calibre to own. It is easy to load across a variety of bullet weights and it is more than possible to hold the sight picture when discharging - and easier still with a moderator which helps to soften the muzzle flip. I don't think a calibre would have been as well adopted as this has been if it was difficult to shoot.

Can I ask why you are so set on it if you're unsure of the 'bite'?

im no expert i have fired few shots out of a .308,.243 and took a notion for a .270. I read through different forums and threads and it was the same old craic that the .270 has a serious recoil, well i bought myself a howa .270 and the recoil is nothing to be afraid of! i shoot it with no mod and the recoil is not bad, i dont know what all the fuss is about regarding the recoil.

I have used a .270 unmoderated on driven Boar and didnt notice any significant difference to my usual stalking set up(moderated .308)...........same as all things I reckon,if you were down the range squeezing off 100 rounds it may get to you but usual hunting use I wouldnt be afraid of having one.......

Andy i don't know what you were shooting, but I shoot a270 bsa at the range, without a mod, the recoil is nothing worse tha a 243.

The .270 is brilliant, I have had mine threaded and a T8 moderator fitted for the sake of my hearing and it has softened it up less recoil and muzzle flip, I would recommend one.

Andy i don't know what you were shooting, but I shoot a270 bsa at the range, without a mod, the recoil is nothing worse tha a 243.
I forget the make of the .270 but it had a hard butt plate fitted, my .243 rem 700 has a recoil pad, must have softened me up a bit:)

Theres not much point trying somebody elses .270 in my opinion as the recoil you feel will vary depending on so many factors. Rifle weight, length of barrel, stock fit/construction, bullet weight, mod or not. The book, Ammo and ballistics use a 'relative recoil' measurement for each calibre, 243 is 1.25, .270 1.82 and .308 1.95. I use all three calibres and my 308 shoots like an air rifle as it is heavy and moderated, my 243 is light and short barrelled so I feel the recoil more and the same with my .270. I would still go for .270 though.

I have TWO rifles in 270 WCF calibre. One a Parker Hale M81 that has, as factory fitted a red rubber butt pad and weighs about 9 1/2lbs. The other is a BRNO ZKK 600 that has its factory hard black plastic buttplate and weighs about 8lbs. The one is a joy the other after about ten rounds leaves a bruise.

So it depends on the weight and also the butt pad or buttplate that is fitted.

Keep in mind too that a lot of factory threaded rifles (e.g. both Tikka & Sako) come with a 20" barrel as standard nowadays. This is to keep the total length of the rifle down once a moderator is fitted.

In .270 form and using factory ammo i've found this short a barrel to be pretty unpleasant to shoot unmoderated.

I was told by my local RFD that a Tikka or Sako with a 22" unthreaded barrel is now considered to be a "special order" item though, and attracts a long wait for delivery. The extra 2" on the barrel really makes a difference in terms of felt recoil if not using a moderator though. It feels much the same to my shoulder as any other midsize centrefire.

Howa sensibly offer a 22" factory threaded barrel as standard - best of both worlds.

Keep in mind too that a lot of factory threaded rifles (e.g. both Tikka & Sako) come with a 20" barrel as standard nowadays. This is to keep the total length of the rifle down once a moderator is fitted.

In .270 form and using factory ammo i've found this short a barrel to be pretty unpleasant to shoot unmoderated.

I was told by my local RFD that a Tikka or Sako with a 22" unthreaded barrel is now considered to be a "special order" item though, and attracts a long wait for delivery. The extra 2" on the barrel really makes a difference in terms of felt recoil if not using a moderator though. It feels much the same to my shoulder as any other midsize centrefire.

Howa sensibly offer a 22" factory threaded barrel as standard - best of both worlds.

I've got to echo this, and also point out that anyone who says that the (unmoderated) recoil of a .270 is the same as a .243 hasn't done enough shooting with each.

The truth is that rifle makers are following the market where moderators have become the logical add-on. Sako M85 & Tikka T3 'long action' rifles can be ordered with 51cm or 57cm barrels. A lot of new entrants to stalking believe that a moderator is the next essential accessory to follow the right (germanic) 'scope & mounts, so go for the short barrel to reduce length & weight . It seems logical to them. They've heard tales or had experience of shooters firing a 20" barrelled .270 without a mod, and have failed to identify the real cause which is the truncated barrel. In truth even with muffs on the flash & din of a short .270 is horrendous. A .243 stutzen though a bit more bearable is no fun either. A moderator is needed to remedy the deficiencies in the equipment, so the two parts become fused into a standard rig which become inseparable.

If you go back, the OP is asking opinions on the naked recoil from a .270. In a standard length barrel (same rifle make & model of course) it's virtually indistinguishable from a .308, a noticeable bit more than a 6.5x55, and a good bit more than a .243. I'm a lightweight, and that's my honest observation from using all these calibres now - with full-power loads - in exactly the same rifles. No moderator - no hearing protection either - so the true characteristics aren't muffled, masked, or disguised in any way.

The same old posts have surfaced on the need for a moderator, but that wasn't the OP's query. I think the blast effect of a .270 is high so it increases 'perceived recoil' more than most people realise BUT after a while you get used to this. This is just a short term thing, and isn't enough justification to spend another £400 on fitting a moderator, providing you choose a rifle in .270 with a 'proper' length barrel.

sinistral, why doubt the experience of someone you don,t know, or the guns used, I could do the same to you as I don,t know you. Apart from that, of the three 270s I have used the worst recoil in order were , styer 20inch, Winchester x bolt, and the least recoil felt was a BSA cf2 most probable due to the fact it had the best recoil pad, which made it like shooting a standard CZ 601 Zkk, muzzle flip is greater in a 270, but this can be improved by technique, but there again what would I know.

Im south west of Norwich, any help? I would get one, ihave one for reds it does a great job. They are not uncomfortable and there are a large range of bullet weights to try

​Mark

I've got to echo this, and also point out that anyone who says that the (unmoderated) recoil of a .270 is the same as a .243 hasn't done enough shooting with each.

The truth is that rifle makers are following the market where moderators have become the logical add-on. Sako M85 & Tikka T3 'long action' rifles can be ordered with 51cm or 57cm barrels. A lot of new entrants to stalking believe that a moderator is the next essential accessory to follow the right (germanic) 'scope & mounts, so go for the short barrel to reduce length & weight . It seems logical to them. They've heard tales or had experience of shooters firing a 20" barrelled .270 without a mod, and have failed to identify the real cause which is the truncated barrel. In truth even with muffs on the flash & din of a short .270 is horrendous. A .243 stutzen though a bit more bearable is no fun either. A moderator is needed to remedy the deficiencies in the equipment, so the two parts become fused into a standard rig which become inseparable.

If you go back, the OP is asking opinions on the naked recoil from a .270. In a standard length barrel (same rifle make & model of course) it's virtually indistinguishable from a .308, a noticeable bit more than a 6.5x55, and a good bit more than a .243. I'm a lightweight, and that's my honest observation from using all these calibres now - with full-power loads - in exactly the same rifles. No moderator - no hearing protection either - so the true characteristics aren't muffled, masked, or disguised in any way.

The same old posts have surfaced on the need for a moderator, but that wasn't the OP's query. I think the blast effect of a .270 is high so it increases 'perceived recoil' more than most people realise BUT after a while you get used to this. This is just a short term thing, and isn't enough justification to spend another £400 on fitting a moderator, providing you choose a rifle in .270 with a 'proper' length barrel.
He is selling a moderated .243 so I thought it was worth mentioning about a moderator, and he doesn't mention anything about the naked recoil of a .270. Maybe he just likes his hearing the way it is, or has some consideration for people living near his shooting ground, the benefits of a mod are not all about the opperator. My mod was £250 and is a small price to pay to keep my hearing and shooting ground.

fantastic calibre, recoil no more than 308 when using 130 grain ammo, keep it tight to shoulder and dont be scared of it, when stalking i dont even feel a thing, that must be the adrenalin! but get a bit of a kick when checking zero in tunnel, the wildcat mods are good for reducing the recoil as they heavier than most :thumb:

I have recently had the great fortune to buy a MINT Heym SR20 in .270 winchester. The rifle has the original open sights on it which most definitely are not going to be removed to allow the barrel to be cut for a moderator.
Now shooting this rifle is a dream, it shoots a ragged hole 3 shot group and the recoil is nothing. I feel all this bad publicity about the .270 and it's bigger brother the .30-06 is in correct and please remember it was not that many years ago that the .270 was a bench mark caliber for stalking in this country.
​Do your self a favour get your self a good .270, I just wonder why I waited for so long before I saw the light.

Use a .270 Win R93 fluted barrel, Aetec Maxim + 2 additonal baffles with Winchester B. S Tips 130grn.
Its Brilliant ! A slight nudge in the shoulder and a bit of a pop, you soon get used to it.

Great caliber !

Brider.

Back