Sausages without a mincer ?

shbangsteve

Thinking of making some of my own sausages and burgers Just wondered if I can make them without a mincer. The wife has got a Magimix food blender could I just use that and buy a sausage stuffer for the sausages. Anyone done anything similar ?
thanks

Steve anything is possible with time, you can run it through the magimix a few times and in smaller batches and it will be ok, i have hand cut meat for larger diameter sausages for both dry cure and smoking both worked well, i think burgers will have to be machined though, imo atb

where about in devon are you theres a butcher a few miles from me who will mince a whole fallow carcase for fifthteen quid.

Was going to say if near Launceston then ask Philip Warren @ Pennygillam ind est he is a good lad and worth an ask.

Yep my local butcher will mince it for me but I would really like to have a play at it myself. I was thinking of using the Magimix and one of those cast hand stuffers. Perhaps I might splash out on a electric mincer with a stuffing attachment instead.

Steve, if you want to try sausage making on the cheap to see if it's for you before you spend more dosh on better kit. You can pick up a cast hand mincer for very little. You can also buy a sausage stuffing horn for a couple of quid which will attach to the micer (with grinding plate out) so you can use it as a stuffer too. It's more labour intensive than having separate mincers and stuffers but sufficient for dipping your toe in the water. Do a google search for 'Porkert Mincers' as if i recall they are the ones I'm referring to

Yep my local butcher will mince it for me but I would really like to have a play at it myself. I was thinking of using the Magimix and one of those cast hand stuffers. Perhaps I might splash out on a electric mincer with a stuffing attachment instead.

I tried doing the old hand mincer thing on some roe a couple of times and even sliced it up really fine with a knife which took an age. After a load of heartache and mess everywhere including squirting blood on to the ceiling and all over me and my pal who was helping I asked for the electric one.

I got a kenwood MG510 mincer for a birthday present a couple of years ago and its paid for itself many times over. Has the sausage attachment also and is so easy to use. Even easier to clean as well. I've attached a link to amazon but there may be cheaper prices around. Its pretty powerful and has coped with all the tough sinew I have thrown at it so far. Replacement parts are readily available too and is relatively small so doesnt take up too much room. (You'd think I was trying to sell this!). Dare say there are cheaper ones going around but it has been great to work with for me and gets me using the bits of meat that would otherwise usually be wasted. There are a pile of youtube videos on how it works also as it is basically a stand alone attachment for the Kenwood Chef machine. I know you want to do it cheap which is what I tried to do but I can't go back now.Hope this is of some use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-MG510-Meat-Grinder/dp/B002LZUEPS

I've used a Magimix as you described. Problems started when I got bored with the slow speed and put more material in (about 1/3 of one of the large top section). The mixer couldn't handle it and the motor died. One unhappy wife.....

I now borrow a friends old Kenwood Chef with mincer attachment (in exchange for mince/sausages), which works well and fast. I found this mixer too fast for stuffing skins though, even at slowest speed, so I have a hand mincer with stuffer. If you're in mid Devon, you're welcome to borrow this hand mincer to try out. PM me.

I lost the blade for my mincer and with a fallow waiting to be prepared, I rushed to Makro and bought a cheap Tarrington House mincer for £29 plus the dreaded and I have been surprised by how good it is, I even used it to stuff sausages after my stuffer broke and for small batches it does a reasonable job.

Martin

Thinking of making some of my own sausages and burgers Just wondered if I can make them without a mincer. The wife has got a Magimix food blender could I just use that and buy a sausage stuffer for the sausages. Anyone done anything similar ?
thanks

Yes I think I am getting a Buffalo mincer the £100 variety. But I have made breakfast patties from venison mince mixed with a little pork shoulder all ground up and with the spices, just no sausage skins. There are good that way, especially with eggs on the side.

I got an electric mincer with sausage stuffing attachment for less than 40 quid, out of one of the free magazines that comes through the door with the Sunday paper. To me it looks just like the small buffalo mincer and works a treat. I'm pretty sure it was Coopers of Strotford.

After a complete drama trying to mince a red calfs trimmings into burgers with a hand blender.....

(and before you laugh, it was easier with that than with the food processor)

I bought a VonChef 1800W grinder and sausage maker from amazon. At £55 it seemed a good buy, most of the others I've seen have less power (more power MUST be good) and were at the £100+ mark.

Its got to be easier than a hand blender!

thanks

put in a burlap bag and let it have a round of 220 swift with an A-Max.

I've started mincing small quantities with a knife. The key is to use a large chopping board with a large and very sharp knife, I use a victoronix. If you chop meat repeatedly for 5 minutes or so you have a pound of mince.

Take it to a butcher and he will do it ...get him to mince in the fat at the same time then get him to mince it again....

Back