B.R.N.O. 550 or Remington 700

mjd237

Ok folks i have the chance of a b.r.n.o.550 or an older Remington 700 in left hand in. 243 for under £400 what iam really after is peoples opinions on the afore mentioned rifles.
Thanks in advance.
MJD237.

I had a cz and went to a 700, the action is smoother on the 700 but the cz has a much more secure ejection of brass for tight fired ones that would just stick in the 700. With properly sized brass the 700 is fine but the cz is a solid reliable rifle

Ok folks i have the chance of a b.r.n.o.550 or an older Remington 700 in left hand in. 243 for under £400 what iam really after is peoples opinions on the afore mentioned rifles.
Thanks in advance.
MJD237.

Is the CZ550 a lefthander? The only lefthand CZ550 new or discontinued I can find on the CZ-USA site is the Safari Magnum in .375 H&H.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-american-safari-magnum/

If it's a righthand CZ550 .243, which seems likely, and you're lefthanded then I'd go for the M700. Otherwise, if there is a CZ550 LH then I'd have that .... without a doubt.

Is the CZ550 a lefthander? The only lefthand CZ550 new or discontinued I can find on the CZ-USA site is the Safari Magnum in .375 H&H.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-american-safari-magnum/

If it's a righthand CZ550 .243, which seems likely, and you're lefthanded then I'd go for the M700. Otherwise, if there is a CZ550 LH then I'd have that .... without a doubt.

No the brno is right hand i have a tikka 22-250 in left hand and was kinda drawn towards the remy as it was a left hooker but iam comfortable with a right hand action not being big headed i can shoot from the left or the right (talent lol).

I've had alot of experience with Remington 700's old and new . I've also had a fair amount of experience with CZ550's but all in African calibers .

While the CZ's do okay I am more the 700 person especially if it's an older one with a nice old trigger that can be adjusted to suit me .

Most shooters/hunters in the USA will say a Remington 700 is like a Chevy or Ford auto in that they are easy to work on and plenty after market parts available to make them something you want thats not factory available .

My vote is the 700 even if the bot is on the wrong side LOL's !

I'd go remmy.
Either will be accurate but the remmy is more flexible in the long run.
edi

CZ is by miles the better gun IMHO. BUT, left handed you're stuck with warne vertical split rings only, as they can be reversed for the CZ rear receiver dovetail inlet - which I don't believer are available in anything but 1" rings, but could be wrong.

being a lefty, and ONLY for that reason, I'd go remmy and drink the blood of the unwholy swine.

CZ is by miles the better gun IMHO. BUT, left handed you're stuck with warne vertical split rings only, as they can be reversed for the CZ rear receiver dovetail inlet - which I don't believer are available in anything but 1" rings, but could be wrong.

If the left handed one has a mirror image recoil slot why can you not just flip the standard rings round so the clamp screws are to the right side ?

Neil. :)

because the standard rings are p1sh! LOL.

if you want anything decent, conetrol, talley, recknagel, etc. you're stuck with warne's or hilvers.

I personally rate the warne's, but use a 30mm scope a lot so that wouldn't work for me personally. The old hilvers are fine, but the new hilvers are just junk, shouldn't even have been made, same with the CZ rings which I believe are just hilver replica's.

don't get me wrong, I'd take a BRNO/CZ ANY day over a remmy, but being a lefthanded you're really stuck on the mount/ring front, that is, with a somewhat limited choice, that's all;)

Please define.........
They securely hold the scope in position, can be removed and refitted without losing zero, and come free with the rifle.

I personally don't think the steel is good quality, I don't like the quality of the screws, and I think they're too narrow to be trusted with mid-larger calibres. I prefer more solidity.

mind, I've shot my 30-06 with hilvers for a while now, and TBH, they hold the scope just fine,,,BUT, I still rate them bottom end of the market in terms of what else is available..trouble is, for the lefty BRNO/CZ, there's just not much alternative choice. Recknagels, now that's what I like, or even talley.

what if the owner wanted QR rings in a 30mm?

not trying to start an argument Neil, just my opinions.

what if the owner wanted QR rings in a 30mm?

not trying to start an argument Neil, just my opinions.

Don't want one, but answer the question please :p
Why cannot any make rings just not be fitted flipped around ?
I have never looked at one, but I assume it is the same design as the 527, they can be flipped round in any make.

Don't want one, but answer the question please :p
Why cannot any make rings just not be fitted flipped around ?
I have never looked at one, but I assume it is the same design as the 527, they can be flipped round in any make.

I did a bit of research into this for my brother in law actually - contacted conetrol, talley, and recknagel. Conetrol said at the time theirs did not fit a LH receiver, Talley's will need to be modified in some way to fit a LH action, and recknagels rep here in the UK said they did not carry a series that is designed to fit a LH receiver.

I was told by a credible source that warne's was the only real choice if you didn't want to reverse the hilvers or standard cz rings like you mention.

that's all I can add I'm afraid Neil.

best regards

Peter

That's useful info. - thanks, PKL.

This thread is developing nicely and wandering into left field. The OP is lefthanded after all, so if I were him I'd be steering in the natural direction (almost said right) which is port not starboard.... I think.

As I understand this the choice is between a righthand CZ550 or an older lefthand Rem M700 for the same price and budget. I don't like Remingtons much, but the price equation seems about right as the LH models are more expensive in any make. Anything from Remington can be rebuilt and transformed to match your dreams. The CZ isn't so flexible, but it's a better rifle as it starts out with fewer shortcomings in the first place.

If I was righthanded, and had to choose between standard-build CZ and Rem then it would be CZ. As a lefthander I'd have to grit my teeth and take the Remington 700LH in this case. This has an unbelievable range of 'scope mounts available.

I think the choice here isn't actually between alternative makes. It's living with an action that you're not suited to. It's hell to have a mix of rifles with bolts on different sides so IMO it's best to standardise with the Tikka LH already in the cupboard.

That's useful info. - thanks, PKL.

This thread is developing nicely and wandering into left field. The OP is lefthanded after all, so if I were him I'd be steering in the natural direction (almost said right) which is port not starboard.... I think.

As I understand this the choice is between a righthand CZ550 or an older lefthand Rem M700 for the same price and budget. I don't like Remingtons much, but the price equation seems about right as the LH models are more expensive in any make. Anything from Remington can be rebuilt and transformed to match your dreams. The CZ isn't so flexible, but it's a better rifle as it starts out with fewer shortcomings in the first place.

If I was righthanded, and had to choose between standard-build CZ and Rem then it would be CZ. As a lefthander I'd have to grit my teeth and take the Remington 700LH in this case. This has an unbelievable range of 'scope mounts available.

I think the choice here isn't actually between alternative makes. It's living with an action that you're not suited to. It's hell to have a mix of rifles with bolts on different sides so IMO it's best to standardise with the Tikka LH already in the cupboard.

Mind you if he already has a cabinet full of right handers the 550 is the choice! :lol:

David.

Back