Rangefinder

wildfowler.250

I'm sure this comes up occasionally but I'm looking for a cheap,(but reliable) rangefinder. Just need it for a few hundred yards really.

​any suggestions?

Thanks Iain! What does the Leupold do that makes it more expensive than other makes? I could get a friend to pick one up cheaper in the states but not sure what benefit it would get from it,(if I'm not shooting more than 300 yards).

Absolutely no idea, but I got them for a steal off eBay a couple of years ago...

They might have a better track record of +/- x yards, but I'd stick with a decent brand with hunting credentials ie Leica, Swaro, Leupold, Bushnell.

Thanks, I'll have a look on ebay and see if I can find something decent second hand.

Any ideas what the Leica or bushnell are like? I figured they might be cheaper :lol:

The Leica is probably the best there is with an illuminated display. The Yardage pro I had for years was much cheaper and did the job perfectly well but no illuminated display.

Thanks, I'll have a look on ebay and see if I can find something decent second hand.

Any ideas what the Leica or bushnell are like? I figured they might be cheaper :lol:

If the Leica and Bushnell are the same price, there's probably something wrong with the Leica...!

It's all down to budget, but I paid £300 new, and Leica Retail at around £400.

Just see this new Leupold from US - you'll pay import duty if the shipper is a pain though... Works out at about £250 + taxes

or this one at about £175 + taxes

Last edited:
I have a Nikon Riflehunter 1000 which I reckoned was the best quality/price/facilities from the reviews I could find.

It offers yards or meters, close or far target (useful in a woods), either point to point or will give horizontal distance to compensate when shooting at an angle, it changes automatically from black to orange display in lower light conditions. It will give a running readout for a few seconds.

In use it seems fine. As a real world example I can read off a telephone pole at 259metres which has a tree behind it at 279 / 285 (depending what bit you aim at!) so it is very precise, the pole is thinner than the cross hairs.

It was under 300 pounds. They do a Riflehunter 500 as well, I had mine from Optics warehouse

Alan

p.s. I also have a liking for Nikon SLR/DSLR cameras so I do declare a slight brand bias :)

Last edited:
I bought my Leica rangefinder from a member of this Site for £150. Although a few years old it is an excellent piece of kit. In the example I have you can easily change it from Yards to Metres. I have accurately ranged individual trees and rocks out to well over 500 metres and have no doubts that it can range things further than I can, or would care to, shoot.

That said, for most of the stalking I do (Southern woodland) I would definitely put it in the "nice to have" rather than "must have" category. Even for the annual trip to Scotland it's not that critical.

​willie_gunn

Back