Pulsar Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornady

Shot show just mentioned an XQ19 Apex Scope which was 1900 USD! which would be £1900. £2500 roughly for the XQ38. Laser range finder models too as well as the new trail and helion models.

A new entry level thermal is shaking things up if that price corresponds to the UK!

Shot show just mentioned an XQ19 Apex Scope which was 1900 USD! which would be £1900. £2500 roughly for the XQ38. Laser range finder models too as well as the new trail and helion models.

A new entry level thermal is shaking things up if that price corresponds to the UK!

still way to much.

bob.

A day scope will set you back over 2 grand from a decent company. How is it too much?

just my opinion,

a lot of money for a spotter.

bob.

ps: I am not a fan of thermal not worth the money IMO: but that's me. :)

just my opinion,

bob.

It's a rifle scope. Not a spotter.

Not sure what is better than thermal to be honest. Have used the best gen 3 and thermal has a huge advantage over that.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...-xq19/&usg=AFQjCNFUENGEDvLzARVAvZMzAibT13cAng

spotter I think

video_button.jpg
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...xq38f/&usg=AFQjCNEJZNmV7dc_i2RGR75T77V03XMA8w

the hellion on this vid if it works is also a hand held device,

my friend is at the shoot show right now,

bob.

just my opinion,

bob.

Very interesting bob.
You are the only person who i know to have said thermal isnt for you. Do you mind saying why?? Nothing in it just curious. Is it mainly cost?

He's just too bloody tight! No one is willing to give one away!

1, If i could afford one I still would not buy it as I feel they are not worth the money,

2, the image quality is poor, and i have seen a few that are just plain crud,

3, why do most hunters need it, i shoot around about 2.5 times a week most of that is nightime shooting, the ret daytime,

4, if you are into land and deer management then crack on its something you could use to monitor control and maintain your records with,

i have had gen 1,2,3 and more and i will stick to my guns and say they are so over priced it's silly, but those who need them to keep up with the smiths then carry on, i am more than happy with what i have and i don't need any more,

kind regards and respect to other hunters, this is my findings and thoughts.

bob.

just got my xq38 after 30years of using every gen3 I can think off thermal has its place no ifs and buts about it still use nv for shooting with like to see what im shooting at

just got my xq38 after 30years of using every gen3 I can think off thermal has its place no ifs and buts about it still use nv for shooting with like to see what im shooting at
Most of the time you are shooting at a set of eyes and can't see much else as it's all green and fur doesn't absorb infrared. Thermal has huge advances and limited disadvantages. I can tell what stuff is with ease.

yup, my thoughts too, i have used mil spec gear for years in fact i was on the demo team for the royal armoured corps school so the stuff we played with was the top of the tree then and still is,

a mahoosiv differance from shooting a fox to shooting a enemy tank but it still matters that you identify your target before you let off the trigger.

bob.

I shoot 3 times a week at night with gen 2 plus on the rifle, gen 3 Kite spotter, those that have looked through these will know how good they are, I have an older £6000 Flir thermal, have tried this as a spotter, I can see something 500 yds away but it could be a Munty, Badger etc, I personally think at a good distance I would spend a lot of time getting closer to something to positively ID it, whereas with a good NV spotter I can find foxs out to 600yds ish, providing I get there eyes, cheers

Excuse me for butting into your argument gentlemen but the answer to this is simple. Go with a non believer to a suitable piece of land, grass, shrub, woodland. You take out your thermal spotter and he uses his nv spotter (no firearms required). Both stand with the same view and scan the ground. For everyone he spots you give him a fiver, and for everyone you spot he gives you a fiver.
Believe me, the thermal user will come back quite well off, and the nv user skint :D

I'm sure there's lots of thermal naysayers willing to take this offer up :lol:

yup, my thoughts too, i have used mil spec gear for years in fact i was on the demo team for the royal armoured corps school so the stuff we played with was the top of the tree then and still is,

a mahoosiv differance from shooting a fox to shooting a enemy tank but it still matters that you identify your target before you let off the trigger.

bob.
You seem to be firmly in the minority on thermal.

Some of the new thermal which is only commercial stuff produces incredible images and details. I doubt what you have seen has been as good as this stuff let alone mill spec stuff which finds its way here. I also find this 100% identity thing a crock of ****. Rabbits move and so do foxes and you can easily identify how they move.

This conversation reminds me of 7 years ago when I'd have this out with grumpy old men who kept saying their lamp was preferable to gen 3. Now it's thermal vs night vision.

The world moves forward...

I think the thermal imaging available these days has opened up a whole new world in hunting. Anyone who doesn't like it has probably done that much shooting they are probably bored of it. I agree the imaging isn't as life like as NV but the initial spotting advantage puts the odds in the hunters favour.

You say the word 'hunter' there..... yet you're arguing for the case of using thermal!!!!! The two shouldn't go together.

Technology is great yes.... but when there are fewer deer and foxes left to shoot because people are embracing this technology through desperation to kill things.... then what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back