Shooting Deer at night

Monument veiw

Out and about today i bumped into a farmer who i hadnt seen for years , out of interest i asked him if he had anyone shooting over his ground . His reply was yes he had a guy shooting troublesome deer at night with a lamp and he had shot 40 since march at this i couldnt help myself expressing that that action was ilegal and is generally frowned upon . I think the guy in question may have shot his last deer on that farmers ground and might be lucky enough to evade prosicution . The farmer is absolutely tamping and probably looking out of his window for the said stalkers lamp right now .

Greed gets the better of some

MV,
I may stand corrected hear but I do not think that there has ever been a night license granted in England for the last 10 years.
They are not stalkers they are poachers and have broken several laws,makes you ask the question where else are they poaching..
Dial the boys in blue and tell thewm you think they are digging badgers,that should get an immediate response..

I beleive the farmer has already called the police for further guidance and as i understand it the police are very keen to catch the guy involved

Watch this space

How confusing is this post
We hav one guy talking about a fellow farmer and mate allowing or instigating poaching deer at night on his land then another poster who I presume is a genuine legal firearm licence holder advocating the way to deal with the issue is to phone and lie to the police to get a reaction
And now the farmer who does not hav contact with the so called poachers who he has given permission to now has rung the police to try and set up the so called shooters
Just goes to show how shite the deer stalking world has turned into

Stone,
possibly not the best advice,but in my experience the Police are very slow to act when it comes to poaching,mention the word Badger and they are there in a flash..It was only to epedite the arrival of the police and no other intention!..

Fair comment NOW
In my part of the world just mention a fella walking about with a firearm in a suspicious manner normaly gets a chopper and an armed response team with in minutes on the scene regardless of wether it is a legal activity or not
Different forces , different attitudes
Atb

Its easy solved , farmer rings lamper and asks him not to come again . As for digging badgers , how do you do that while walking or driving about with a lamp and rifle ? mine you , thats Rebecca Brooks for ya eh

Better leaving it well alone what has it got to do with anyone other than the people involved. who is doing what ,you don't know what took place between the farmer and the shooter .

To many goody goody people in the world .

All hearsay until you see it with your own eyes .

I don't believe the farmer didn't know it's illegal.... if he calls the police, the guy will no doubt say "he told me to" and complicate matters even further.

The sad reality is that a good percentage of deer shot, are shot at night with a lamp. Most are taken with either a shotgun or a rimfire too!
What is more sad, is that many of the persons doing it don't actually know that they are doing anything wrong!
Sometimes it may be just a case of pure ignorance of the law. Other times it may just be out of desperation to remove deer or just to make money. Who knows?:confused:
Either way, English Nature are VERY unlikely to issue a night permit and have only done so on a few occasions.
But why?:stir:
It can't be a safety issue as we can lamp foxes at night with a deer legal rifle.
A deer in a lamp is probably easier to identify than one at very last light without illumination.
Nocturnally transient Fallow are becoming a major problem in this country.
I think night shooting may be the obvious solution.
If I am fully trained and have suitable land and a deer problem which cannot be solved by current legal means within the legal times, why should I not be able to shoot at night?!
Please feel free to discuss further!:p
MS

I don't believe the farmer didn't know it's illegal.... if he calls the police, the guy will no doubt say "he told me to" and complicate matters even further.

Sounds to me like the farmer knew exactly what was going on.

The police will look at the shooter and his certificate conditions, if it has deer on it they will say he should be conversant with the current law of the land appertaining to deer ,so thats his tea out .

The farmer however will have nothing said or done to him, in the eyes of the law he has only gave the guy permission and no doubt will play ignorant to the facts, that he the landowner has to apply for the night shooting licence, the shooter is the named controller the conditions are on the paperwork . So again his tea will be out and with all the commotion caused over this his barn will get burnt down .

As i said somethings are better left well alone .

Last edited:
MS The FCS have long ago gave up on deer management by day and changed the laws and placed loop holes in it so they may control deer at night. Its cheaper and it keeps the public ignorant. If you have enclosed land here you can get a night licence in a day or two.All you need is to be on the fit and competent reg .Don't know if that's the way o do things but it works for them.

It can't be a safety issue as we can lamp foxes at night with a deer legal rifle.
A deer in a lamp is probably easier to identify than one at very last light without illumination.
Nocturnally transient Fallow are becoming a major problem in this country.
I think night shooting may be the obvious solution.
Please feel free to discuss further!:p
MS

Speaking with the land owner where I have shot recently he tells of up to 60 deer standing in his paddock about 11 in the evening :eek:

His manager is out several times a week and usually takes one each trip which goes into the food chain but the flipside of mass culling with lamps is that the meat market will be flooded and where will that lead?

Speaking with the land owner where I have shot recently he tells of up to 60 deer standing in his paddock about 11 in the evening :eek:

His manager is out several times a week and usually takes one each trip which goes into the food chain but the flipside of mass culling with lamps is that the meat market will be flooded and where will that lead?

Your way out.

The Forestry Commission and Forestry contractors shoot at night all the time in Scotland, it is one sure way of meeting your quota, theres been no huge flood of venison into any UK or European markets ,this work has been carried out using lamps for years .

May i add a bit to Bob,s post there is as stated by the venison industry a shortage so no worry,s at all.

Obviously mixed veiws over shooting at night , notice i say shooting not stalking as thats what it is just shooting and evades the whole issue of field craft etc . Any1 who feels the need to shoot deer at night should feel the full force of the law and have their license revoked .

Just my opinion

Back