Available: DSC 1, 2 day course, held by YDS in E.Yorks

We videoed it and i won him with 5 out of 6 in the kill zone of the deer under dsc1 condititions, it was windy and i dropped 1 shot at the 100m
Paul got 5 in the deer as well but 2 were liver shots.
We both dropped the last shot as the wind and the fact we had just done 5 shots freehand beat us.
I'll post the video if you like.

Last edited:
Just uploading now. No living deer were harmed in this video. (just for those who are non believers).
Though in reality 10 deer out of 12 would have died well 2 would have been missed clean.
Look at the muzzle smoke and see how windy it was. Had it been calm I am sure all deer would have died.
But please DO NOT bring your gripe with Paul on to this ADVERTISEMENT. The other thread was locked for good reason.
I pay for this advert and the video was 2 of us having fun after the course had finished. However there were 11 witness's there to witness the shoot off. Reminding me Paul still owes me a pint.
Have fun and get out and have a practice. Throw some lead down range and get off the computer.
regards john

Last edited:
John, i look forward to watching it. There is absolutely no gripe with paul (from me anyway), we just have a different opinion to what is ethical, and acceptable when it comes to shooting roe deer, but then we come fromdifferent areas and backrounds, and obviously magange these fine animals with a different long term plan in mind. Fortunately for me, i have been befriended, trusted, groomed and mentored by one of the industry good guys, who has looked after me and taught me more about the management of deer than has been written in any of the books on the subject that i have read, or the firmal training i have subscribed to. Good luck with the forthcoming buck season, the pictures of your stock look mighty promising, your clients are going to have a good go i think. Atb gary

Well I'm pleased theres no gripe gary.
Thanks for the good luck, weather permitting the bucks are outstanding this year and they should mke for some happy clients.
Having shot all my life from early days I shot an air rifle and hunted rats feral pigeons and of course rabbits. No sticks or bipods then just a gate post if you were lucky. So freehand shooting has been second nature to me. I dont say all should even use it but its wrong for people who are not confident to say otherwise.
I take over 200 different guys out every year and all vary in abilities. Its a big world out there. Anyway that thread was locked. Videos nearly there (crashed first attempt). Enjoy it when its posted it was fun. And if it hadn't been windy we would have walked it i'm sure.

hey big thankyou to paul and john for the course thoroughly enjoyed it. i can highly recommend sitting the dsc1 with these guys. genuine nice people and highly experienced. regards phil smith. hopefully see u soon for a stalk or a european hunt.

Back