SaOsborne

I know we have trodden this path before, what are the best (durable) comfortable wellies, that don't pinhole at the sight of a thorn or crack around the bend of the foot etc and last more than a year!
Looking up to around £70 ish, never mind what I choose they all give up within a year.

Wife says its because I am too heavy footed, well what do you expect when out clambering over rocks, through hedges etc with a couple of deer in your backsack, not out on a holiday walk I tell her!

looking for opinions from comfortable feet out there that have preferably been dry for more than a year?

Regards,

Simon

I think you may be expecting too much from a pair of wellies. I use Le Chameau when out pheasant shooting but wear a decent pair of boots for the hard stuff you get when out stalking plus you get a lot more support around the ankle.

Mulac

Ive had a pair of Le Chameau for about 6 years and wearbthem everyday, cost a bit more than £70.00 but well worth the money

I know Hunters get a lot of flak these days, but I have a pair of their Balmoral neoprene model that I managed to buy discounted through my old employer. Couldn't be happier with them. They see daily use for the dog walk/training session over tarmac and then various levels of muddy tracks and fields, no cracks, no splits, no problem.
I had to buy two sizes smaller than normal and still can get a thick sock on. Buy wellies as snug over the forefoot as you can get away with to avoid cracking on the flex point. Same goes for normal boots, too much space makes them flex too much.

5-11 HIGH atac's for climbing hvent for keeping dry and warm both more than the price but ha ho look at moon boots from skyteex hot good grip boots fit left or right! so no cock ups in the dark lol
skee-tex-thermal-boots.jpg

I have a pair of Hunter Balmoral leather lined boots which I bought from John Norris when they were on sale at £150 (normally £300). They have a boot like sole and last for ages, previous pair 10 years old before going to the great welly boot store in the sky. Obviously not great for beating through bramble etc but good for general shooting. I also have a pair of Muck Boots which are great for standing on the peg in freezing conditions, they are very warm but stink when you take them off, think they were about £80.

Prefer to wear my Mendle Dovre Extremes with gaiters.

I agree that to have a pair of wellies last more than a year is asking a lot if you use them a fair bit. Okay if you just go out half a dozen times on a driven shoot each year in them, you'd expect them to last a bit, but if you wear them week in week out, then a year isn't bad.

Depends how posh you want to be with them. Muckboots are pretty good. Considering they are wellingtons, they give you some ankle support, have a range of treads to chose from and have neoprene to keep the tootsies warm. They aren't that agricultural that they look too out of place on a shoot, but perhaps aren't the best looking items you'll ever see.

My Chameau leather lined wellies will be at least 6 years old now. They are worn at least twice a day almost every single day to walk the dogs round fields, and occasionally shooting and stalking. The rubber gusset round the zip is starting to split. I have abused them and sprayed them maybe three times with that preservative stuff they come with. I know they are expensive to buy initially but when they get replaced next season it will be with another pair exactly the same...

Hi All,

Was out stalking yesterday so didnt get a chance to log on, but did get a wet left foot as my Sealands have now split after only 9 months!

Lots of good suggestions, I have and do wear Harkila Pro Hunters, but have had one pair replaced under warranty as they leaked, they are a pain in the butt to put on in the dark when getting out and the ground I cover has areas where sinking to the top of your wellies is common, when wearing the Harkilas they ended up completely covered in S*** and water over the top!

My last decent pair of wellies were Sealand neoprene, but they split on the sole join on one foot, so I went with a cheaper pair of Dunlops and they have cracked where the foot bends above the toe, all in I don't have much luck.

I wear them almost exclusively for stalking so they can do a lot of miles over rough forest floor with bogs branches and anything else around.

Thanks for the suggestion on fit SimpleSimon, might be where i am going wrong, allways a bit loose?

Hi Mulac I know what you mean, but the leather boots whilst comfortable seem to cause as many issues and dont stay watertight I have found.

Will look at all suggestions so keep them coming please!

Cheers

Simon

Got muck boots. Find them great in the weather we're having at the moment. . Really warm! Too warm sometimes! I must add that I find they seem a bit slippy on some surfaces.
think I would try something else next time...

Got muck boots. Find them great in the weather we're having at the moment. . Really warm! Too warm sometimes! I must add that I find they seem a bit slippy on some surfaces.

perhaps a surprising suggestion, but i'd happily recommend Tayberry Rook wellies. neoprene lined, a good, heavy, solid and grippy sole, and the 'brown' is a good subdued olive colour. the 'green' is an unattractive bright bottle green colour, and - imv - is bloody awful.

i've had them about 18 months, and while the warmth of them means they don't get used in late spring-summer-early autumn, they get a 4km walk, off paths, through woodland every day from October to May, and i've worn them - comfortably - in a 10 mile walk over the 540m Brown Clee Hill in Shropshire. they're a bit scratched, but no real sign of serious wear. i got them for about £65.

Lots of diferent treds available

I had never seen the Muck boot before, they seem good with an aggressive tread on the muckmaster wrapping up the sides, are they worth the the £80 odd though?

I had never seen the Muck boot before, they seem good with an aggressive tread on the muckmaster wrapping up the sides, are they worth the the £80 odd though?

IMHO defo yes

So imprerssed I baught them for my whole family and handed them out as christmass presents to imediate family (mum dad brother in law, sister) I even baught some for the lads who work for me.

Nothing but prase comming back.

My ones are heavily abused never cleened and are four years old and still working great

They kept me nice and warm today freezing my arse off in the sleet and snow on the last day of Duck because they are so warm. Its not my toes getting painfull first any more. They will also serve me well Monday stalking because they are very comfortable to walk long distances in.

ATB

Mark

Last edited:
Back