What knife/knives do you use ?

TikkaFan

What knife/knives do you use in the field for grallocking (brand / model) ? also what sharpening method do you use ? photos if you can.
Cheers

Mora clipper for me, cheap and cheerful and razor sharp. I like having good kit but I just can't get excited about havingI mega expensive knife so the moras at around a tenner suit me down to the ground.

ive recently got a lansky deluxe sharpening set and for the first time in my life have been able to put an edge on a blade that I can shave with. I would highly recommend both the mora knives and the lansky sharpener to anyone.

I have 3 Helles, 2 fixed blades 1 folder-these are excellent triple laminated blades that hold a great edge, I have used one for 12 years. These are for carrying when stalking for the gralloch/bleeding. I then have a variety of larder knives, victorinox I think. I usually have a Mora in the gun bag as a spare. I too have a lansky pocket system for touching up blades. I have 3 Japanese whet stones of varying grits to establish the initial edge. This takes some practice and I have by no means perfected it! Those that do get surgical sharpness.

Brand ...My own

Models :Will be trying out several to see what works well

have a few Moras what will work to as they do for lots of Jobs and tasks

Mora clipper for me, cheap and cheerful and razor sharp. I like having good kit but I just can't get excited about havingI mega expensive knife so the moras at around a tenner suit me down to the ground.

ive recently got a lansky deluxe sharpening set and for the first time in my life have been able to put an edge on a blade that I can shave with. I would highly recommend both the mora knives and the lansky sharpener to anyone.

I use Mora as well , I drilled mine and fitted a lanyard ,I think its a bit safer when you have wet slippy hands.

Attachments

• Mora.jpg
    Mora.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 137
This, from Stu Mitchell, when I'm stalking.

I made this for myself, but a pal liked it. :rolleyes:

A Lapplander that I re handled for myself years ago, and still gets used.

I always carry a spare when stalking. Mora, folder, etc.

All are kept sharp using a Sharpmaker.

Steve.

I leave my hand made blades at home and use the bright orange Mora stainless easy to keep sharp no tears if I lose one .

A mate done his DSC2 and the AW pulled his face at my mates wooden handled knife ,said he should be using plastic , what's the official stance on this ?

A mate done his DSC2 and the AW pulled his face at my mates wooden handled knife ,said he should be using plastic , what's the official stance on this ?

According to BASC's code of practice for Deer Stalking it should be " a serviceable knife of appropriate design", see http://basc.org.uk/cop/deer-stalking/

The handle material is not specified, so wood is fine for use in the field - just don't stick the blade in the ground or put it back in the sheath without cleaning it ;)

For the larder you should be using plastic handled knives suitable for cleaning in the dishwasher.

They also don't specify whether the knife should be a fixed blade or a folder.

Easiest is to carry an orange-handled Mora, though personally I use a Stu Mitchell blade.

Last edited:
Bright orange mora which is very sharp as long as you keep up to it. Very easy to find in the dark should you put it down and even if you do loose it then another £10 is not going to brake the bank.
Bryn

bright orange peasant swing blade and a mora,:thumb:the peasants going to get re-handled in time with a peice of antler when i get some,,

Bright orange mora which is very sharp as long as you keep up to it. Very easy to find in the dark should you put it down and even if you do loose it then another £10 is not going to brake the bank.
Bryn

£10? I paid £12.50 for the very same knife!.... My human rights have been breached!

for me its a Mora or a casstrom scout knife if Im on the Roe, plus a RAT folder as a pocket knife.
Much as I'd like a really expensive custom, I wouldn't trust myself not to lose it at some point, and those Mora hold a very good edge.

Helle Eggen for me mostly with a Kershaw folder in second place and a Buck vanguard with gut hook in the gun slip. I have just sharpened a nice Nordic style knife a friend made for me so will give that a go soon together with the Enzo trapper I have just finished. Too many choices!!

Back