Available: Free muntjac stalk in return for informal mentoring

oregon

Hi chaps,

I'm a fairly experienced small game hunter with FAC & SGC. Currently use 12 gauge, .410, .22LR and FAC air. I'm in land management, so I don't need babysitting in the field but I could use some stalking guidance.

Now I am looking for some experience accompanying a local(ish), seasoned deer stalker on my permission before I get myself a .223 or .243. I was wondering if somebody on here who knows their stuff with either of these calibres would like to join me and lead a day's muntjac stalking (you are welcome to shoot/keep deer). If the stalk is successful, I'd love to help you prepare a carcass if possible. I would greatly appreciate in return, something in writing from yourself to briefly summarise/document the stalk for my portfolio. You might also have to humour quite a few stalking related questions from me as well ;)

Land in question isn't huge (circa 150 acres - hops, meadow & woodland) but is hilly with plenty of safe backstop. Large muntjac/fox population here but I obviously can't guarantee anything. You must have open ticket, suitable rifle & insurance.

It must be stressed that this is not me offering permanent shooting permission on this land and any subversive attempts at such would be a bad idea.

Please drop me a PM if this sounds reasonable! :)

Oregon

Last edited:
Good luck getting sorted soon, .223 and a 6.5x55 is a good start but like above try a few before you make a decision

Thanks for the advice! I'm personally interested in those two calibres as they're likely what I'd be looking to use myself and I'd like to chat with whoever comes out about the finer details of their use. By all means I'm open to other calibres though but not less than .223 or much larger. (they're only little beasts afterall) :p

My warning about permission is a little out of order I know, but I have had folks take the pee after inviting them out for a day's shooting in the past and I won't tolerate it again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I'm personally interested in those two calibres as they're likely what I'd be looking to use myself and I'd like to chat with whoever comes out about the finer details of their use. By all means I'm open to other calibres though but not less than .223 or much larger. (they're only little beasts afterall) :p

My warning about permission is a little out of order I know, but I have had folks take the pee after inviting them out for a day's shooting in the past and I won't tolerate it again.

You might be surprised how little damage the larger calibers do compared to a .243 on small deer......my experiences of .243 on munties was not pretty, a lot of meat damage, don't discount a .30 cal, dead is dead, and often less damage.....

You might be surprised how little damage the larger calibers do compared to a .243 on small deer......my experiences of .243 on munties was not pretty, a lot of meat damage, don't discount a .30 cal, dead is dead, and often less damage.....
I agree big slow bullets do less damage and cut the undergrowth better.

What a nice position to be in. To have your own stalking before you start stalking properly. Look after it and good on you for seeking advice/help.

Good look with the stalk. Matt.

What a nice position to be in. To have your own stalking before you start stalking properly. Look after it and good on you for seeking advice/help.

Good look with the stalk. Matt.

matt had the assessor on yesterday. Paperworks great he said nothing standing in yor way. Pleased for you buddy well done.
regards john

matt had the assessor on yesterday. Paperworks great he said nothing standing in yor way. Pleased for you buddy well done.
regards john

Cheers pal. It's took long enough, I posted my portfolio off in November. O well it's done now, another couple of weeks for my badge to drop through the door and il officially know what I'm doing:rofl:

Thank you all for the brilliant response! I really am taken aback at how many decent gents there are on here and the generosity you've all shown. Sound advice regarding calibres too - I'm now sidelining the .223 and dreaming of a nice 6.5x55 or .308 or 7mm-08 or 30-06 or... :D

Due to the large numbers of PM's, It might be best to wrap this thread up at this point and begin responding to messages (the 2 messages in 10 minutes restriction is going to slow me down too).

I look forward to meeting some of you soon and hopefully passing on what I learn to someone else in due course.

All the best for now, Oregon.

oregon how about a 2506 with a local reloader and a bit of playing you could have a very good deer and foxing round it took me ages but its so worth the effort stu

Back