which insurance ???

wint

hi guys,my basc insurance is due to run out soon & ive just got a reminder.Its gone up £3.00 since last year,so i had a look at some others,bds,ngo etc etc is there much of a difference in the service you get with these others or not.What are your veiws ?? :confused: thanks andy

The actual insurance policies themselves are just about identical [some are], I suppose it's also to do with what else you want from the organisation.

Take a look at the NGO, SGA or CA.

All have insurance attached to their memberships, All are far better value than the BASC package.

BASC have never delivered value for money.Despite their claims to the contrary.

The fact that they were instrumental in getting one of the most unsavoury, dispicable and undeserving characters ever to grace an internet forum his FAC is grounds enough for me never to pay them a single penny ever again. :evil:

Rant over :rolleyes:

BASC also claim to offer a lot of support with firearms/FAC queries (but in my recent experience will offer the advice but won't act any further and are certainly very reluctant to enter into dialogue with the police force themselves).

Do any of the others have firearms teams or other specilists that can offer advice? As well as the insurance this is one area I would like to have support available if required and am definitely thinking about changing our joint BASC membership when it's up for renewal.

Have just got my BASC renewal, £62 :eek:

Have cancelled my membership & joined the NGO, £30 for the same £10 million insurance level.

Chris

I did a syndicate group insurance through the Countryside Alliance, far better cover than BASC in many ways, go take a look at the website and compare for yourself.
They had an offer if about 8 or 10 of you got together it worked out at sod all around £20ish, I put up a notice and a couple of guys of here came on board.
I think they have a few offfers go check it out got to be worth a looksee

NGO fo me ,
Basc just took the ****, magazine was crap, tried to get some advice at country show last year too busy chatting up some hooray henrys to talk to me. Up their own asses and at double the price they have lost a member of at least 15 years. Wil never go back to them.

Just filled out the application for NGO. I've been a member of BASC for almost 20yrs. Membership was £12.50 in 1989. £62 is just a bit OTT. Cheers, Pete.

insurance

just looked on the NGO site for insurance,doesnt look like your covered for personal injury whilst shooting,& your not covered for beating :( ,so is it as good as it sounds. :confused: andy.

BASC

Been a member of BASC for years and years
pay for it in my subs to a shooting club i'm in £55 quid
to shoot over 21 farms plus Basc membership
that will do me, cant say anything bad of them

I believe you get overseas insurance with the BASC. Do you get that with other policies? I am hopefully off to Africa later this year.

75 said:
BASC also claim to offer a lot of support with firearms/FAC queries (but in my recent experience will offer the advice but won't act any further and are certainly very reluctant to enter into dialogue with the police force themselves).

Do any of the others have firearms teams or other specilists that can offer advice? As well as the insurance this is one area I would like to have support available if required and am definitely thinking about changing our joint BASC membership when it's up for renewal.

I must say 75 that my experience of BASC differs from yours. I had a few problems with firearms here in Northern Ireland over the last year and BASC were very proactive in approaching the PSNI firearms team and in getting a resolution. The level of support I got was really quite exceptional and I certainly couldn't have paid for it if I was to have been doing it through a solicitor or similar. For this reason alone I view my subscription as money well spent.

I should highlight that I have no connections with BASC other than as a member but it was clear to me that the team in Northern Ireland were going out of their way to assist people with problems. I can't speak for BASC in other areas or even for Northern Ireland in years gone past of course but in recent times I've heard nothing but praise for BASC (in relation to FAC/firearms) here in Northern Ireland with lots of reports of them really pulling out the stops.

SGA insurance will cover you for all fieldsports including beating and clay shooting, and also do syndicate and overseas membership.[plug over :D ]

I think we all have to remember that all these orgs. are membership led , therefore you get out basically what you put in , if you're not happy with the behavior of an employee, complain , you as a member are the employer.

Some have been slating BASC here, as members, have any of you written your concerns down and put them to John Swift?

All the orgs do a good job, it's a shame that membership is dictated by cheap insurance , instead of supporting orgs that are there to help and protect our fieldsports and way of life

Remember it's not about being covered in case you accidentally shoot a prize bull mistaking it for a Munty.

If you have people with you, or under your supervision or direction, and you send them to point A, where they slip and break an arm you need to be covered as an Employer. If you sub let, you need to be covered etc etc., hit someone with a vehicle while shooting, tear up some saplings you didn't know were there.

Write down all of the risks you run, and how people could conceivably balme you for them coming to fruition. Then look at the different policies.

The most important thing to remember is that if you supervise someone, even if it's your best mate, you can be viewed as their employer, even though no money changes hands - it's down to them having to act under your instruction.

Choose based on the insurance not the people providing it.

"I hate the BASC so you shouldn't use their insurance" is not good advice. Fortunately, for the people giving it they will never have to stump up the cash if you lose your home because you took it.

That's an awfully big risk they're happy to take with someone else's financial security.

insur

hi max, no hadnt heard of them before but they seem to tick all the boxes & for under £20 :eek: andy

Back