Wrecked my jeep hitting a young bull

Solwaystalker

Anyone know who,s liable if livestock is wandering on the road
I hit a young bull last night , my jeep will be written off , the farmer seemed to think he wont be liable
its pretty obvious his fences on the roadside are in poor condition , a local lady that stopped said its only
a few weeks since a vehicle hit livestock at the same place

Bugger hope your ok as for the bull is he in the chiller ,I would think the farmer is liable the ex mrs hit a horse that had escaped and the owner coughed for the repairs even though the horse died .
good old truck that Isuzu .nissan for you then ?
Doug

Bull is Broon Breed
Izuzu will be fixed up if i can , im determined to get 200,000 miles out of it , got 10,000 still to do
Will cost more than its worth to fix tho:cry:

I hit a young bull last night , my jeep will be written off , the farmer seemed to think he wont be liable
its pretty obvious his fences on the roadside are in poor condition , a local lady that stopped said its only

It's proving negligence that will be the problem. I have just had a door mirror replaced as a farmer drove his cattle from one field to another one of the cow's bust the mirror it took two months for the farmer's insurer to admit liability and I had a witness. You will need to take photo's before he repairs his fences and try and locate the other vehicles owner to strenghten your case. Hope this helps good luck.

Kind regards Jimbo

You must have been travelling at some speed to write off your vehicle but, in answer to your question, there are many considerations in arriving at an apportionment of liability in such cases. I have to say I do not know the road where you had this accident. I do not know if there are livestock warning signs on it or what speed limits apply or what views have been taken as to liability in the past, on it or similar roads locally. In any event, one is always advised to travel at such speed as will allow one to stop safely within the distance seen to be clear ahead. Obviously, you'd probably like to hold someone else liable. I suspect you will need good legal advice on the specifics of your circumstances before you can best decide how to proceed toward that goal in this instance.. However, I would not expect that the owner of the bull (which you have presumably injured quite badly) will be automatically held to be liable for an accident which you had with his valuable property. Think, Red Stag, if you'd wiped out on one of those do you think you could claim against someone in that instance. It is taken as commonly understood that on country roads one may be confronted, at any time, by the hazard of animals, wild or straying and that you should therefore drive with according care and attention. Your case starts off on the back foot my friend.

The bull ees deed. It is bereft of leef. It rests in peace (s). It's metabolic processes are now 'istory, he's off the field, he is no more, he's history, he's shuffled off 'ees mortal coil, run down tge curtain and joined the choir invisible, 'ees feckin snuffed it!

The bull ees deed. It is bereft of leef. It rests in peace (s). It's metabolic processes are now 'istory, he's off the field, he is no more, he's history, he's shuffled off 'ees mortal coil, run down tge curtain and joined the choir invisible, 'ees feckin snuffed it!

So, it's terminal and permanent then? Lucky it wasn't a stray child. On reflection, that would likely have been less damaging to an old pick-up though.

That's a bit much associating a child with the circumstances of a bull escaping from what should be a suitably maintained fenced paddock.
Maybe if Mr farmer had taken the same view on safety for his non human charges as he would his own children the bull would still be happily roaming said paddock and Colin wouldn't be sans 4x4

Blame apportioned to both driver & farmer, but as is apparent, this farmer has a history of lack of care to stock fencing,so I would go ahead with a complaint & claim.

That's a bit much associating a child with the circumstances of a bull escaping from what should be a suitably maintained fenced paddock.
Maybe if Mr farmer had taken the same view on safety for his non human charges as he would his own children the bull would still be happily roaming said paddock and Colin wouldn't be sans 4x4

I would contend that it is entirely appropriate to make such an association. Our laws require due care from drivers. If you think otherwise, think where the case would be heading if we were talking about a child. That way lies the truth of how the law must treat any road accident. Did the driver really exercise such care as could reasonably have been expected, or not? If the answer is yes then the case for compensation is high. I'm sorry to say that the evidence presented so far tends to suggest to me that an unsafe speed was involved As to bulls escaping, fences are an act of faith where bulls are concerned and that is a fact. It is now the start of mating season for spring calving herds and a mature bull is perfectly capable of destroying any ordinary stock fence if the urge takes him.

Again, we should note that it is generally accepted as common knowledge that country roads may have, from time to time, such hazards in them as wild animals and farm livestock and occasionally wayward children too. This said, I do wish our friend here every good fortune in pursuing his case for compensation and would refer him to my earlier post.

And yes, £4.50 damage to a £5 4x4 would right it off :)

You joke, of course. However, this remark does raise other questions. Will the value of any claim be likely to be worth the cost of proper legal advice and representation (or future insurance cost implications)? and Will the probable antagonistic effect of such a claim be likely to result in a much higher counter claim? This is always a gamble and in such cases one always has to ask one's self <<Do ya feel lucky?>>

I would say that the bull leapt out of the darkness, into the path of your vehicle.
If you had hit a static bull in the road then you were going too fast.
Surely livestock owners have a responsibility to maintain fences to a reasonable level? you're lucky to have survived! what if you'd been killed by the bull? what if a child had been killed then we'd all be saying that the farmer should have done more.
I'd take some photos of the knackered fencing.

A similar incident happened with a cow on the Isle of Wight some years ago. The farmer was convicted of allowing the cow to stray onto the highway and fined, I think that he also had to pay for the damage to the vehicle.

atb Tim

Back