Deer Tongue

Mannlicher_Stu

When I was a lad I can remember my mother making her own tongue in an aluminium press, the had to do those kind of things just after the war when food was short and all left overs went into stock for soups so nothing was left inc the marrow in bones etc.
Obviously something not practiced as much today but needs must in those days.

Has any member of the forum ever made their own pressed deer tongue and if so what does it taste like?

Stu

no stu i aint tasted it, but theirs a great looking lass works in the village butchers and iv been dying to pluck up the courage to go in and ask her for tongue :rofl:
When I was a lad I can remember my mother making her own tongue in an aluminium press, the had to do those kind of things just after the war when food was short and all left overs went into stock for soups so nothing was left inc the marrow in bones etc.

Has any member of the forum ever made their own pressed deer tongue and if so what does it taste like?

Stu

no stu i aint tasted it, but theirs a great looking lass works in the village butchers and iv been dying to pluck up the courage to go in and ask her for tongue :rofl:

great looking lass - can I help you sir?

calmalc - A pounda fillet

great looking lass - A pound you don't :D

:rofl:... the amount of crap that gets put into some hamburgers, hot dogs & kababs etc i bet most of us on here have eaten tonge and a few other funnies that we dont know about..
great looking lass - can I help you sir?

calmalc - A pounda fillet

great looking lass - A pound you don't :D

Not sure what "pressed tongue" is but I do eat tongues. Not too often as has been diagnosed with diabetes and all the pluck is quite rich in carbohydrates... liver especially... but, from time to time I prepare a stew from kidneys, heart and tongue. If you want to use tongue boil it for a bit first, remove the skin, and slice it. If you use kindneys as well, boil them together with tongue and not forget to change water once or twice to remove smell and not too nice taste. Boil sliced tongue, kidneys and heart again (can use stock), add vegetables you like, I add onions, tomatos, paprika, etc. Add sour cream, salt, paper, etc when ready. Great food.

ATB

Greg

Stu

Used to eat a lot of it. I can't find the press[somone probably borrowed it]
It tastes fine, we used to use it for pieces.
You just boil the tongue then remove the skin. simples

:rofl:... the amount of crap that gets put into some hamburgers, hot dogs & kababs etc i bet most of us on here have eaten tonge and a few other funnies that we dont know about..

A good few years ago there was a bittova fuss about what was going into sausages. I seem to remember the old ww2 warning phrase of "Walls have ears" being used again:).

fraser

A good few years ago there was a bittova fuss about what was going into sausages. I seem to remember the old ww2 warning phrase of "Walls have ears" being used again:).

fraser

emm Many years ago I had to construct a hot dip tank out of Double flemish Bond in acid resistant brick in a abatoirs/ butcher in Wigan and this guy was famous for black pudding and his pies and suasages , after seeing what went into them I was a long time before I eat another beef custard or Wigan kabab as they are better known.

as a kiddie when I lived in Fife my grannie would send me to Lowes for quarter of pressed ox tongue, better known as "coo's toungue",other times it would be for a quarter of "potted head", pressed sheeps brains in jelly, don't know if they still do the potted head because of "scrapey", the ovine equivalent of mad cow disease, anyway , I used to enjoy a sandwich (piece as they say in scotland) with either tongue or potted head.

I am a big fan of a piece on tongue, haven't seen much of it since i came down south tho.

My mother used to curl the tongue into a Tupperware, put a side plate on top and load the plate up with tins out the press. You must have come from a bought house that you had a proper gadget.lol

Back