Deer skins wanted – fresh, green, raw, as they come off the animal

Exbomz

Dear Forum members

I thought I’d make a general post to ask any stalkers, in the vicinity of Eastbourne, whether or not they would be willing to donate their deer skins (Fallow and Roe are the main species round here) to me. I’d also appreciate the heads it they are available.

I do a lot of experimental archaeology and I brain tan the skins (hence the request for heads too).

It is only really practical if they are relatively close to Eastbourne but I could usually make a collection the same day I am notified of one being available. No preparation is required by you, just as the skin comes off the animal.

I can explain the process more fully face to face with anyone, if they are interested, but as I know a lot of skins merely go into the bin, one could describe it as being just a little bit more recycling one can do ;).

Here’s hoping! :british:

Cheers

Exbomz

If all goes well I plan to go out stalking on then31st so if successful you'd be welcome to collect one off me in Horam.

I can explain the process more fully face to face with anyone, if they are interested

This sounds really interesting. Wish I could help with skins, but I for one would be really interested in seeing the process if you wouldn't mind making a thread about it? Experimental archaeology is a fascinating subject, & the older I get the more of an amateur anthropologist I seem to become. Bet I'm not alone, either :thumb:

Hi Sharkey

To date, there is no CWD in this country and it's limited to N America. I do however keep an eye out for news on it.

The moment I hear something, I'm switching materials!

Hi Woodsmoke

I did do a lecture for a University on brain tanning. I took a set of photos of the process for it and if I can find them, I will happily add a thread on the topic.

Cheers

Hi Sharkey

To date, there is no CWD in this country and it's limited to N America. I do however keep an eye out for news on it.

The moment I hear something, I'm switching materials!

Hi Woodsmoke

I did do a lecture for a University on brain tanning. I took a set of photos of the process for it and if I can find them, I will happily add a thread on the topic.

Cheers

that would be interesting...

Back