.243 barrel life

adriandavidb

Read some stuff on the inter-web about .243 barrel life only being in the order of 1300 rounds!

In terms of its overbore I suppose this makes sense, however seriously thinking about changing my slot for one of these to something else, if the real-world barrel life is this poor, i.e. lower than a typical .300 win mag (circa 1500 rounds as I understand it)

I'd appreciate some views from those with experience please?

I'd be using mine for occasional range use as well as vermin, so it would take a bit more of a hammering than a rifle purely for live quarry

Thanks

I just realised, I have absolutely no idea how many rounds have been through any of my rifles. (Even the ones I bought brand new)

I've put 1000 rounds through my Ruger Precision 308 in the last 12 months. I guess i should only fire another 100 rounds through it and sell it before the barrel goes to heck.....~Muir

Now I've got an excuse to buy a new rifle or barrel every other week. Must be those damn boresnakes.

Last edited:
Too many variances for a meaningful average, different metals, powders, lengths , tightness, velocities and what what.

In reality I don't think anyone ever fires more than 80 rounds in a rifle judging by the classifieds on here....😳

Shoot more, worry less. 😄

Somewhere on this forum is a similar thread and I will repeat the same here as I did in that one "Rubish"
I bought a Brno ZKK601 243 30 or so years ago, to use as a lamping gun, expecting to get the 1200 rounds out of it and then replace it.
I must explain I was lamping both fox and deer over thousands of acres of new plantations.
Loading hot rounds, it performed great and at 200 yards I got less than an inch every time I tried, well 30 years on and it still does the same !.
Finally, I fired far more than the 1200 rounds in its first year!
Maybe a barrel made from mild steel will shoot out in 1200 rounds or perhaps one using poor powders etc. eg black powder might corrode the barrel, but using vit powders and sierra bullets certainly will not wear a good barrel out in normal UK use.

Don't worry about barrel wear until it happens, my 243 is seven years old. Must of fired nearly 2000 rounds through it. Still groups well under an inch, half inch most times. My 270 is younger but fires more rounds per year, it is showing signs of wear but still shoots well.

I wouldn't worry mate. Over time the 243 may be complimented by a larger round, like Ranger22, which will spread the load or the .243 will get replaced as is often the case. Even if you do keep the .243 for a long time as your only rifle you needn't worry about barrel wear until it happens, look at Levigsp and his 30 year old rifle.

If you are thinking of a different chambering go for it but there is little need to base that decision on barrel life unless it it is one of the very fast wildcats.

We live in an age where everyone thinks nothing lasts long. When I started out shooting we knew nothing about barrel wear and so never gave it a thought and kept rifles for years and used them a lot.
I was an armourer in my National Service days and the 303 Lee Enfield's we used were old and the training rifles must have had thousands upon thousands of rounds put through them. Some of these were used for competition purposes and were very accurate.
I think people worry too much about barrel wear where normal rifles/ammo is used. As has been said already keep shooting till things are obviously going wrong, your 243 should give years of service.

I wouldn't worry mate. Over time the 243 may be complimented by a larger round, like Ranger22, which will spread the load or the .243 will get replaced as is often the case. Even if you do keep the .243 for a long time as your only rifle you needn't worry about barrel wear until it happens, look at Levigsp and his 30 year old rifle.

If you are thinking of a different chambering go for it but there is little need to base that decision on barrel life unless it it is one of the very fast wildcats.

In my case the 270 is supplied by work, not a lot of choice in cal. 243 is my personal rifle which is used for foxing and private stalking. Did have a personal 270 but I find the 243 covers all my needs nicely

I have a tikka supervarment in 243 it now has over 5000 rounds down the bore hot home loads it is my go to gun and it still shoots under 1in the shop told me 1500 rounds and it will be bin fodder rock on tikka well worth the money and still in daily use

I have a tikka supervarment in 243 it now has over 5000 rounds down the bore hot home loads it is my go to gun and it still shoots under 1in the shop told me 1500 rounds and it will be bin fodder rock on tikka well worth the money and still in daily use

It's only just run in.

How does regular cleaning prolong life?
I was brought up using a P14 in .303 British.
The MK7Z ammo had mercuric primers.
I cleaned it after every use.
First with boiling water then No9 and finally with Youngs 303 oil.
It was used in WW1 and issued to the Home Guard in WW2.
It was one of the Rifles sold to Rifle Clubs in the late 40s.
(It cost me £5 wish I still had it)
I used it as a target rifle for many years, only stopping when supplies of .303 surplus ammo dried up.
It had countless Thousands of rounds.
With good ammo it still shot better than me!
Old habits die hard, I still clean my.270Win and my .223 After every use.
As long as I am careful and don't damage the Crowning or Throat I think it will do no harm and It may do some good.

silverfox

Back