Country pubs Aberdeenshire

ChrisWill184

Hi all

In early December some of my family and I are taking a days rough shooting up near Mintlaw, Aberdeenshire. Was wondering if anyone knew of any decent country type pubs that were between there and Aberdeen but not too far off the main road? Looking for something that still has a 'step back in time' atmosphere. Hoping one still exists somewhere as most seem to have closed or been converted into more refined establishments!

Anyway if anyone has any suggestions on where may be good for a couple of pints on the way home (and cokes for the driver) I would be grateful as I don't know much up that way.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe not exactly what your looking for but the 'Cock and Bull' on the A90 has very good reviews, 'Briggies' and (I think it it's called) 'the Aberdeen arms' at Newburgh (A975) used to be a decent enough scoff albeit it has been a long time since I've been there although their both closer to Aberdeen than Mintlaw but only a 5 minute detour from the main drag.

Last edited:
Maybe not exactly what your looking for but the 'Cock and Bull' on the A90 has very good reviews, 'Briggies' and (I think it it's called) 'the Aberdeen arms' at Newburgh (A975) used to be a decent enough scoff albeit it has been a long time since I've been there although their both closer to Aberdeen than Mintlaw but only a 5 minute detour from the main drag.

Recently went there and the food was REALLY good. Also dogs are welcome (why we went) and they even have a dog menu for them that they don't charge you for.

Thanks for the replies guys. I went to the Aberdeen Arms in Tarves the other week and was pretty much what we are after but wondered if there was anything else. Think the cock and bull may be a bit high end for us coming in with our wellies! The Crichie Inn may be the place for us.

Which one welcomes dogs? Though I'm not sure they'd welcome 6 of them!

Thanks for the replies guys. I went to the Aberdeen Arms in Tarves the other week and was pretty much what we are after but wondered if there was anything else. Think the cock and bull may be a bit high end for us coming in with our wellies! The Crichie Inn may be the place for us.

Which one welcomes dogs? Though I'm not sure they'd welcome 6 of them!

If you are taking a pack of dogs the Station Hotel Bar in Ellon may be a good call. We used to go in there with our Lab many years ago, dogs all over the place! We have now moved out of Ellon towards New Deer, why not have a test run out to a few of the suggestions over the weekend?

Back