Pest control on public land

SimpleSimon

Hi all,
I don't really want to say too much on the open forum, could anyone with experience of pest control on publicly owned Park/recreational ground drop me a message please? I've been informally offered an opportunity and I'm keen to know what the practicalities are before I go any further.
Many thanks

Hi all,
I don't really want to say too much on the open forum, could anyone with experience of pest control on publicly owned Park/recreational ground drop me a message please? I've been informally offered an opportunity and I'm keen to know what the practicalities are before I go any further.
Many thanks
Simon I ve done several such jobs and in my experiavce they always involve a degree of red tape
first thing I'd do is scout the land have a look for safe back stops public right of way etc then knock up a simple risk assessment showing the safe shots etc including details of your shooting insurance eg NGO basc etc
then id have a contact to tell when you will be on such a piece of ground
also make sure it's cleared for cal if your ticket is closed
atb Jim

Thanks all who have responded here and by PM. I have a lot to look at now before I try and turn the informal request from a groundsman into a formal grant of permission from the whole committee. Hopefully I have enough to go at.

Can't give you anything remotely helpful by way of a steer in how to get the permission/instruction watertight, but once you do my gut feeling is you'll need to give no less thought to operations. In this I urge you to approach it as if you were an old school poacher and not just be content with "leaving no trace" but come and go as might a ghost on a mist-shrouded November morning.

What the Public don't see they are unlikely to ponder let alone be exercised by.

K

Can't give you anything remotely helpful by way of a steer in how to get the permission/instruction watertight, but once you do my gut feeling is you'll need to give no less thought to operations. In this I urge you to approach it as if you were an old school poacher and not just be content with "leaving no trace" but come and go as might a ghost on a mist-shrouded November morning.

What the Public don't see they are unlikely to ponder let alone be exercised by.

K

I would agree with the above. Use nv and thermal if you have access to it then no one should know you are there. And be very sure of your backstop. I hardly ever use a torch and never get noticed. Other than that I can't help you as I have no experience of public land either.

By far the biggest problem with this type of job is the general public. These days there seem to be people about at all hours of the day and night walking dogs, walking, jogging, snogging and all the rest. You can never really be sure where they may turn up next. A thermal spotter is a big help but you need to be very aware!

i do some rabbit control at a local secondry school as there very worried about the kids breaking ankles in the holes there digging and as well as the usual saftey aspects i always get incontact with the person who i deal with at the school before each visit and i then always put log on with the police each visit if, everyone knows what your upto it makes life a lot more simple

A similar situation in a way?
I used to have a bit of pest control on an isolated fruit farm, did a proper job, maps with public footpaths marked etc. Lots around the perimeter.
I was constantly amazed at people sneaking in at all times from all directions sometimes on their knees to pinch the strawberries, raspberries and loganberries by the carrier bag full.
It was a nightmare, the owners had given up trying to stop it. Lots of profit I suppose?
I don't think I was spotted once in the shadows but just not worth it.

Just be really aware of ricochets. I'm sure that you are but you don't say what rifles that you will be using. If you can get away with an air rifle on the rabbits then do so!
Good luck.
Baguio

I was at a Dorset Wildfowlers Club meeting once when a joining member informed them that he had permission to shoot squirrels with a .22rf in Bournemouth Borough gardens. Those were the days!

Just be really aware of ricochets. I'm sure that you are but you don't say what rifles that you will be using. If you can get away with an air rifle on the rabbits then do so!
Good luck.
Baguio

+1 on the air rifle - proper rabbiting!

Good luck.
Baguio

+1 on the air rifle - proper rabbiting!

If this goes ahead I'll be consulting with the FEO over calibres. Given the nature of the place I expect he'll say 22 only, as I have a closed ticket. Not ideal for foxes, I know, but the nature of the terrain lends itself to short range shooting anyway.
Either way I will need to sneak at least one new toy past the Mrs! An air rifle I'm hoping I can borrow off the in-laws but I haven't get got around to filling my 22 slot yet through lack of need.

If this goes ahead I'll be consulting with the FEO over calibres. Given the nature of the place I expect he'll say 22 only, as I have a closed ticket. Not ideal for foxes, I know, but the nature of the terrain lends itself to short range shooting anyway.
Either way I will need to sneak at least one new toy past the Mrs! An air rifle I'm hoping I can borrow off the in-laws but I haven't get got around to filling my 22 slot yet through lack of need.

If you've not been out on the rabbits before with an air gun then you'll love it! I have an air gun collection habit (problem) and I equally enjoy going out with them the same as the Annie .22lr. I'm currently enjoying going out with my Air Arms Pro Sport (walnut .177) - deadly accurate out to about 50 with the added bonus that it feels very much like my stalking rifles, especially when shooting it off sticks - so added practice benefit too....

image.jpg

If you get stuck, I have a beech Pro Sport in .22 which you can borrow - I'm up in Tewkesbury every fortnight or so to visit a site if that's not too far for you?

If you choose to fill your .22 slot I would personally go for the WMR - then you can do both fox & bunny easily out to 110 - my quad with the hornady 30g's does the job every time :thumb:

Last edited:
If you've not been out on the rabbits before with an air gun then you'll love it! I have an air gun collection habit (problem) and I equally enjoy going out with them the same as the Annie .22lr. I'm currently enjoying going out with my Air Arms Pro Sport (walnut .177) - deadly accurate out to about 50 with the added bonus that it feels very much like my stalking rifles, especially when shooting it off sticks - so added practice benefit too....

View attachment 61573

If you get stuck, I have a beech Pro Sport in .22 which you can borrow - I'm up in Tewkesbury every fortnight or so to visit a site if that's not too far for you?

If you choose to fill your .22 slot I would personally go for the WMR - then you can do both fox & bunny easily out to 110 - my quad with the hornady 30g's does the job every time :thumb:

Very kind of you to offer your Pro Sport to borrow, thank you. Indeed I haven't ever had a crack at rabbiting with an airgun but I'm sure it's fantastic fun.
I'm waiting now to hear whether I'm actually getting "proper" permission or not, and then I'll know what tools I need for the job (or not!).

Back