Sporting Rates for Scottish landowners

Heym SR20

Landowners in Scotland have now received questionnaires for them to complete wanting lots of detail about any sporting activities on their land and benefit to themselves and others to assess how much in rates they should be charged.

Yet another great thought out piece of legislation by the Scottish numpty party, that will drive yet more people away from Scotland. The costs of the rates will be passed to all those who enjoy their sport.

discuss

Who on earth answers these things in any other way than one that makes the business look like a loss!?
the problem is not the questionnaire it's the application of non domestic rates on the the sporting income of the estate

the stupid thing is that several organisations have already said that the cost of the administration and collecting of the data required to recover the new tax outweighs the revenue likely to be recovered!

the stupid thing is that several organisations have already said that the cost of the administration and collecting of the data required to recover the new tax outweighs the revenue likely to be recovered!

That would only be a stupid thing if the purpose of the tax were indeed to raise revenue.

Oh of course money comes in, but there are other factors to be considered: stamp duty, window tax, swamp insurance, hen food, dog biscuits, cow ointment – the expenses are endless.

That would only be a stupid thing if the purpose of the tax were indeed to raise revenue.

Nail on the head. The SNP government and its media camp-followers are only interested in bashing the "toffs" as they see them. Their hard-core leftist beliefs are in the same mold as Zimbabwe and Venezuela and will result in the same state. The Chinese now refer to them as the "Scottish Shambles" (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...shambles-as-secret-deal-is-scrapped-qmr7cjf3c ) so you can imagine just how keen the EU would be to welcome such a basket-case for membership! :rofl:

Seen that they have had the forms in Tayside but we haven't seen anything for Grampian yet.

Could be a big problem and have been doing quite a lot of work leading up to this (with the very limited information that we have available). There are a lot of leases that put the rates onto the tenant so well worth checking out any wording for re-negotiations.

Dan

You will be told to employ female ghillies to cut that cost! :stir:

David.

Don't joke - they want all boards of companies, governors of schools or institutions and club committees to be 50/50 represented by male and female by 20/20. Its Mrs Mugabes 50/50 by 2020 policy.

I agree with the posts above. Can anyone post the questions asked in this questionnaire? I can't find them online.

I think Question 6 is multi choice:

Q. "How Much Land Do You Own?"

a) Some,
b) A Lot,
c) A Whole Lot,
d) A Whole Lot, Lot, More,
e) I am the Duke of Buccleuch.

Last edited:
Don't have the form but here is a Q&A the NFUS have put together

FAQ
Date : 17 November 2016
Direct dial : 0131 472 4018
E-mail address : gemma.cooper@nfus.org.uk

SPORTING RATES IN SCOTLAND

Frequently asked Questions

1. What is the statutory background to this requirement?
Part 6 (Section 74) of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2016 repealed the exclusion of shootings and deer forests from the valuation roll.

2. Is there a legal requirement to fill out these forms?
Yes, Under the Lands Valuation (Scotland) Act 1854 the request for information should be complied with.

3. What sanctions may apply if I do not complete this form?
Failure to complete the forms could carry a fine of up to £1,000.

4. Who have these forms been sent to?
In the first instance, these forms have been sent to parties that are in receipt of single farm payment. It may take some time for Scottish Assessors to capture all parties who should receive forms.

5. What will be done with the information provided?
The information will assist the assessor in the preparation of a practice note for the valuation of shootings and deer forests.

6. How will this be calculated?
Scottish Assessors have yet to determine how the rate will be calculated, this is not information NFUS can provide members with at this time.

7. I am the agricultural tenant, but there is a separate sporting tenant, should I complete the form?
Yes, you should fill in the form to this effect including, if possible, the name and address of the sporting tenant (if known).

8. No shooting takes place on my holding, should I still complete the form?
Yes, as per the covering letter you should complete the form to this effect, and sign and return it. Effectively, you are making a ‘nil’ return.

9. I have an informal shoot with friends on my farm, how should I fill this form in?
If you have a non-commercial shoot, you should note this in part B of the form, along with a description of what takes place. You should also fill in the bag in part F.

10. I have an informal agreement with an individual/individuals who undertake pest control for me, how should I fill this form in?
You should note this in part B of the form, along with a description of what takes place. You should also fill out the bag in part F.

11. I only carry out pest control on my holding (e.g. geese), how should I fill this form in?
You should note this in part B, and complete part F.

12. I control species which are not listed on the form (e.g. foxes) , how should I list these?
If you shoot other species which are not listed, you should note these as ‘others’. If you wish to elaborate, you can fill in part I.

13. I carry out pest control as part of a management agreement (e.g. geese), will pest control be rated?
You should ensure that you fill out part B, section 7 with this information. At this time it is not possible to say if pest control will be rated.

14. I am concerned that I have not filled in my form correctly, what should I do?
You should contact Scottish Assessors in this regard. For your records, it is advisable that you do this in writing. In addition you should ensure that you keep a copy of the information you have submitted.

15. I am concerned that I cannot meet the 14 day deadline stated in the letter, what should I do?
You should ensure that you adhere to the deadline provided where possible. If you have any issues with this deadline you should take this up with Scottish Assessors directly as soon as you are aware that there is an issue. Details can be found on the covering letter which was contained with the forms.

16. I have further questions, what should I do?
You should contact Scottish Assessors with any further queries.

Question 10A is also multi choice:

Q. "What do you use the land for?"

a) Tree Hugging,
b) Trunk Carving,
c) Wood Whittling,
d) Writing Rustic Poetry,
e) Acts Of Cruelty Involving Innocent Wildlife.

5. What will be done with the information provided?
The information will assist the assessor in the preparation of a practice note for the valuation of shootings and deer forests.

Ooooo, now this should be interesting
Given the National Forest Estate is run by the Forestry Commission of Scotland, which comprises almost 9% of Scotland
Will The SNP be applying the same rates to those areas which have large sporting ventures, thereby taxing its own agencies

Alcan – 135,000 acres
RSPB – 124,172 acres
Crown Estates – 106,000 acres
Duke of Westminster – 120,000 acres
]Alwyn Farquharson – 125,000 acres
Anders Holch Povlsen - 200,000 acres
Duke of Buccleuch, - 240,000 acres

Forestry Commission NFE......650,000 acres.....

I see a lesson in hypocrisy and contradiction coming to a town near you soon.....

This is just an earlier information gathering stage - the initial batch of letters has only gone out to those on the SGRPID database i.e. those farmers claiming Single Farm Payment/Basic Payment. They still have tpo work out how to contact all the other landowners.

On top of that the basis of how the rates will be set have still to be set - this will require secondary legislation to follow the Land Reform Act.

Then of course another tenticle of that Act is greater control over deer management. In order that the Act does not contridict itself I reckon that there will be substantial (total?) rate relief for those with approved Deer Management Plans.

Given the National Forest Estate is run by the Forestry Commission of Scotland, which comprises almost 9% of Scotland
Will The SNP be applying the same rates to those areas which have large sporting ventures, thereby taxing its own agencies

Alcan – 135,000 acres
RSPB – 124,172 acres

I see a lesson in hypocrisy and contradiction coming to a town near you soon.....

surely Ed, don't you realise its all about freedom and redistribution of wealth (well the latter bit to those who support the SNP - soon Nicola will be marching over her own grouse moor and dear forest like whatever his name was who ran Romania or other communist dictatorships).

Oh and will they get around to paying the single farm payments anytime soon.

Alcan – 135,000 acres
RSPB – 124,172 acres

And of course don't forget the National Trust for Scotland and the John Muir Trust.........more appeals for funds??

Perhaps if everyone completed the form and included a very minor non-material error and then every form was reported as per FAQ 14 it would bung a spanner in the works. A form of passive resistance. Then return the form soaked in cheap pungent market stall perfume - nothing literally offensive or noxious. Preferably something that 'transfers'. Any written parts completed in a foreign language - Urdu, German, Gaelic, Fanagalo...spot of Cornish perhaps courtesy of a friend or Google.

Last edited:
Back