Sako 85 6.5x55 What Ammo

gurus5000

Hi Guys,

I have just got a Sako 85 in 6.5x55 and wondered what ammo people recommend for it.

I have tried the Norma 120 BT which the rifle liked but wanted a heavier load as well for Deer?

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Hi Neil

Look at some 140gr ammo. I have a 75 6.5x55, and it threw Fusion 140gr downrange very nicely before I got HPS-TR to reload the brass with Hornady 140gr SSTs, which are even more accurate. I use just that one round for everything now

Cheers
iain

I had been using the 120 grn Norma BT to good effect, I had a couple of rounds that decided to go through other bits have now changed to or loaded 120 Grn SP Norma and the 156 grn Norma oryx these two in my rifle are brilliant, and have now loaded the same type SP bullets using Nvhit 160, really pleased to change over I still use the 120 grn Norma for foxing as well. Does the job admirably in my. Sako 85 6.5 x 55. cannot fault the weight of the round, 120 or 156 they do a cracking job

phil

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys I will have a look at a few of the ammo you have mentioned.

Thanks

Neil

I was looking at the Federal Power Shock as I used those in my 243. I will try a few different types and go from there.

Thanks for the replies again.

Neil

I've used 140grn RWS DK in my 6.5 after trying various rounds. Great round and I'm lucky they group very nicely.

I use 140 grain Winchester super x I think there called in my sako 75 stainless synthetic 6.5 x 55 and it groups at 0.5inch at 100 yards and that's off a bipod on the bonnet of my truck. Its far more accurate than I am.

My tikka t3 has killed the best part of 100 red and lots more roe with 120grain BT, I don't think you need anything much heavier. Not unless your planning on shooting boar. If they group well I'd stick with them.

Back