Disaster

willowbank

Morning chaps,

some of you know that over the last 3/4 months I have been feeding a number of Fallow with Fawns in a smallish wood that I shoot and trail cams have showed that they were resident,

I was hoping to take a Buck when they appeared or a Doe this morning but Hey guess what, the plonker of a farmer (yes I am peed off) allowed the local hunt to go rampaging through the woods yesterday despite me telling him, only last month, of my plans and agreeing to let him have a haunch, which he really likes.

Not being too experienced in deer management the question is will they return soon after Hounds have driven them off and is it worth continuing to lay feed down for them?

I suppose I know they will return in time but just P"ssd off big time at the moment as it would have been good to have had some sport this morning.

Grumble over lol,

Regards WB

Morning chaps,

some of you know that over the last 3/4 months I have been feeding a number of Fallow with Fawns in a smallish wood that I shoot and trail cams have showed that they were resident,

I was hoping to take a Buck when they appeared or a Doe this morning but Hey guess what, the plonker of a farmer (yes I am peed off) allowed the local hunt to go rampaging through the woods yesterday despite me telling him, only last month, of my plans and agreeing to let him have a haunch, which he really likes.

Not being too experienced in deer management the question is will they return soon after Hounds have driven them off and is it worth continuing to lay feed down for them?

I suppose I know they will return in time but just P"ssd off big time at the moment as it would have been good to have had some sport this morning.

Grumble over lol,

Regards WB

Don't worry their be back , a couple of my places have shoots , the beaters push the deer out but within a couple of days , or sooner , its normally back to normal ...

No its not a disaster. A disaster is when you lose your family in a earthquake, sunami or such. If i was the farmer and you called me a plonker you would be off the ground direct.

Deer manager :rofl::rofl: please don't make me laugh.

I wouldn't worry too much. Fallow being Fallow they will be back overnight or within a couple of days, if not disturbed too much.

Q WG
( Hey guess what, the plonker of a farmer )!!!!!!
Guess he own's the land and can do what he wishes just smile and be lucky he is't a member on here
:doh: No one owns the deer they will come back to your feed points as its free on tap grub.

No its not a disaster. A disaster is when you lose your family in a earthquake, sunami or such. If i was the farmer and you called me a plonker you would be off the ground direct.

What an unnecessarily rude response. Cut the guy some slack.

I have to agree. I imagine WB has put a lot of hard work in and feared it was all in vein! Maybe he was letting off a bit of steam ?!? So in answer to the post stick with it WB they should be back.

After months of feeding, photographing and generally watching these deer, especially the coloured Fawns, I do feel it's abit of disaster when I cannot fullfil my plan for Nov 1st.

I did not claim to be a Deer Manager, please take time to read the posts before slagging people off, what I am doing is a form of management by attempting to hold them on my ground and then taking out a selected animal.

The farmer knows he's boobed by allowing the hunt in early and now realises his haunch is on the back burner.

Thanks for the support guys, I really don't know where he is coming from..... Maybe a lack of stalking?

regards WB

Willowbank,
Best of luck, sounds like all is not lost.
Everyone is learning, I feel people should cut the guy some slack.

Turned up at one of my woods this afternoon after having a succesful morning and had to wait for the hunt to finish as the whole hunt plus followers were in the wood. After thinking I'd be wasting my time I went for a stalk anyway to walk the dog if nothing else. Happy to come away with another fallow doe and saw another 20 as I was leaving.
I honestly don't think it'll be a problem for you.

How small is your woods, our bucks will just hunker up in the roddies and let the hounds go by.

After months of feeding, photographing and generally watching these deer, especially the coloured Fawns, I do feel it's abit of disaster when I cannot fullfil my plan for Nov 1st.

I did not claim to be a Deer Manager, please take time to read the posts before slagging people off, what I am doing is a form of management by attempting to hold them on my ground and then taking out a selected animal.

The farmer knows he's boobed by allowing the hunt in early and now realises his haunch is on the back burner.

Thanks for the support guys, I really don't know where he is coming from..... Maybe a lack of stalking?

regards WB

Rude, me? Never :lol:. Lack of stalking? I.ve been hunting yesterday and today will be sitting out for boar tonight and hunting tomorrow. It such a hard life;).

+1 well said Tom, I hope OP isn't put off by this rude response. As a novice myself, I have found that the SD members are always patience and understanding of my 'dumb' questions, offering advice and sharing their knowledge, I'm shocked that Jagare has tried to mock somebody in this way, completely against the spirit of this forum and my experience of Deer Stalkers in general!

Get the haunch in ASAP the hunt won't have given going through the wood a second thought and will send him a Xmas card and a point to point ticket venison and someone looking after the ground is far more appealing .the hunt actually let me know when they will draw a pretty little wood I stalk saves a wasted journey and I visit usually the next day .
norma

Last edited:
We used to have a fox drive to guns through the woods every year and you would see deer the same evening no problem.

Stopped them now as I had a phone call from the Police stating that they were using 22 hounds and someone with lurchers thought it clever to slip his dog on a deer which chased it along the river bank.

Apparently the F.C had given them a permit to do the fox drive but when I informed them they were using 22 hounds (law only permits 2) and I held the sporting rights and would not allow any gun in the woods their permit was revoked.

Well done, nice to see field sports standing together ,so the police new they broke the law and thought the best course of action was to inform you, you could have just said it was a rabbit hunt and the law did not apply, and that it is legal to shoot any other vermin even though it was not the intended target, actually you most probably have the sporting rights if it's FC, which probably means the FC can control vermin at any time they feel the tenant is not carryin it out to there standard, and the same applys to the deer control.

They were breaking the law, and because they were pursuing field sports unlawfully does not make them worthy of standing together. Same as if a Gun shoots a duck with lead on a partridge drive, shooting a deer out of season etc etc.
WB: stick with it but it is just something that has to be dealt with when many different operations are going on concurrently. I have one signature partridge drives messed up by a late crop of biofuel maize being planted where we normally stand the Guns and two other drives with pigs next door - normally being fed as we walk the Guns to the pegs! Somehow we all have to try and work together, but all too often the shoot tenant is at the bottom of the food chain!

Back