Sika rut

NickJ

Anyone seeing much evidence of the sika rut? Still very mild here in the Forest of Bowland but should be in full swing here now.

I haven't been able to get out for a fortnight but will be on a couple of patches over the next two or three weeks.

Sign of the rut is scarce here, very little whistling, wallows and scrapes are few and far between. Still managed to call five this past week, only one replied to me. The rest just walked out to see what the noise was all about! The one that did reply came in fairly quick and got shot seven feet from me. The fat in him was very pink. It's getting colder now so hopefully it will get the stags more motivated

Sign of the rut is scarce here, very little whistling, wallows and scrapes are few and far between. Still managed to call five this past week, only one replied to me. The rest just walked out to see what the noise was all about! The one that did reply came in fairly quick and got shot seven feet from me. The fat in him was very pink. It's getting colder now so hopefully it will get the stags more motivated

Why was the fat pink? Thanks!

The stags stop eating during the rut and rely on the fat to keep them going. Not to sure why it goes pink to be honest, I guess it's something to do with the metabolism

Hi Nick,
Its starting Stags have been whistling for a while, and I have them on film following hinds looking very keen and hinds starting to stand.

Phil

Just back from a week in the highlands. Heard some whistling, but stags can still be found bunched together and not acting Randy. Dead stags did not reek and still had lots of fat cover.

however, the weather has turned the last two days and I expect it will be heating up soon

Thanks all, a touch of frost yesterday morning so I hope that will have brought them on.

Back