6.5 x 47 - what are the thoughts?

OSS32

Having a look at a rifle chambered in 6.5 x 47 lapua.
I was going to go for 16" barrel. Want to throw 123g at around 2600 fps for: stalking, target and long range fox. Figured the high SD on the 6.5's would be a good bet at the slower speed.

Opinions & experiences sought.:)

Many thanks in advance.

OSS

Forget 16 barrel, better with 18 or 20.

Unburnt powder with 16 will give loads of flash at the muzzle, yes, you may well make 2600 but your wasting powder.

Ive built loads of 47's, they work exceptionally well with 20" or above using 123 / 130 bullets and 1-8.5 tw barrels.

Dont use 123 Scenar for stalking

Very good advice redmist you must use a bullet that expands for deer or tour comitting an offence. no target bullet is desigined to expand but you ciuld use some berger vld hunting bullets if your after high bc hunting bullets.

I have a 6x47 IMO the case suits the 6mm better than 6.5.
For stalking ,Just get a 6.5x55 more flexibility.

I use a .308 for everything at the mo and was considering varying my .243 as I would like a calibre/rifle that is: fast handling(short barrelled), low recoil and accurate. The 6.5 x 47 was recommended to me on the above spec.

Surly you can you use a faster burning powder to eliminate muzzle flash/flame cutting on mods?

.... wouldn't consider using fmj/non expanding for any hunting. Currently use 150g spire points for deer and 110 gr hollow for fox. Had assumed there would be 123 or similar heads available (sorry for any confusion)

I use a .308 for everything at the mo and was considering varying my .243 as I would like a calibre/rifle that is: fast handling(short barrelled), low recoil and accurate. The 6.5 x 47 was recommended to me on the above spec.

Surly you can you use a faster burning powder to eliminate muzzle flash/flame cutting on mods?

.... wouldn't consider using fmj/non expanding for any hunting. Currently use 150g spire points for deer and 110 gr hollow for fox. Had assumed there would be 123 or similar heads available (sorry for any confusion)

You can only go so far with faster powders as you run into the pressure wall. The pressure builds much faster with faster burning powders and so often one cannt reach the desired velocity before the pressure gets excessive.

I agree a 16" barrel would be much too short. The 6.5x47Lapua cartridge is an excellent performer, a good friend has one, much longer barrel than 16" though.
The strong plus point seems to be, a very short cartridge/action that people say will inherrently enhance accuracy..well, if that's what makes it work, so be it. But accuracy it certainly has.

Using a Hornady 129gn SST & Rel 15, one hole groups appear time after time. I saw the rifle/bullet in action shooting hinds last season and there's no questioning the performance. Tremendous. Cheers.

Back